IGNORED

3-5-2

The Bard

Well I thought this worked last night for several reasons which I list below...

1. It suits Flint.  He can concentrate on heading it clear without being dragged into wide areas where he is a liability.

2. Both Osborne and Williams are comfortable with it - they are centre halves who can cover the full back position if necessary.  They covered the centre when Flint went and won the ball in the air.It reminded me a little of when we had Matty Hill and Louis Carey playing in a similar set up 10 years ago.

3. It suited Pack - He is a holding midfielder and having 2 mobile players closer to him helps.  He played well. When Bobby Reid is fit again, the formation will certainly suit his game. 

4. JET and Baldock looked like a pairing.  3-5-2 requires the strikers to work the channels more than 4 4 2 because the opposition full backs have no direct opponent.  JET does this no matter the formation, Baldock did it really well last night.

5.  We don't have wingers.  4 4 2 hasn't worked.

6. it suits the passing style we are apparently trying to have.  It's less rigid with players actually closer together, giving more options to the player with the ball.  More angles are created.

Still think we need another striker to play alongside Baldock. More in the mould of Harewood but a younger and skilful version. So then this leaves JET in a real free position in that midfield of 5, and then have Pack and Gillet behind him with Wagstaff and Cunningham on the wings.

The defence as it is, is fine for me.

Must agree JET aside, who was very quiet, though it shows it's a formation that will work without JET on song, with him on song it could be lethal

It wasn't his best game, but he did get into wide areas and cause problems for their full backs which was my point about the requirements of centre forwards when a side plays 3 5 2.

Still think we need another striker to play alongside Baldock. More in the mould of Harewood but a younger and skilful version. So then this leaves JET in a real free position in that midfield of 5, and then have Pack and Gillet behind him with Wagstaff and Cunningham on the wings.

The defence as it is, is fine for me.

If we were a confident, functioning side I'd agree but we're not.  We did try Jet in this formation against Rangers in the pre-season friendly and JET spent too much of the game dropping deeper to pick the ball up thus losing any kind of threat.

If we persist with the formation, what we need is a goalscoring threat from midfield - a Lampard type of player who will make forward runs into the box save in the knowledge that there is midfield cover behind him.

If we were a confident, functioning side I'd agree but we're not. We did try Jet in this formation against Rangers in the pre-season friendly and JET spent too much of the game dropping deeper to pick the ball up thus losing any kind of threat.

If we persist with the formation, what we need is a goalscoring threat from midfield - a Lampard type of player who will make forward runs into the box save in the knowledge that there is midfield cover behind him.

I think Reid can do the pushing forward but not get the goals, I do think he could set up a lot of chances

Archived