IGNORED

Why Defend So'd?

bcfcboy96

Don't get me wrong. I feel for him. Nice guy, who genuinely wanted to make this football club a better place. However, he was boring, and so was the football. The possession game consisted of passing it around the back line before finally hoofing to Baldock. As time went by, it became apparent that even if they liked him as a coach, his un-inspirational nature rubbing off on the players on a match day. Then, he would come on the radio week after week to try to persuade us that we played well and were unlucky against one of the leagues best. Most weeks it convinced me to, but gradually I found it harder to forgive. As for the two league games we won, one was a bad mistake and the other was a great individual performance. With the record we had, even Seans supporters can't be to angry with the board. The vast majority would have sacked him weeks ago.I wish him the best of luck, but we have to push on positively.  

Because most fans who know about football realise it will take longer than 3 months to turn a football club around (forget last season - was a total shambles) he was clearing out the deadwood, made some decent transfer deals, if we remained patient it would have come good, but the board have totally bottled it and should resign.

He'd cleared the dead-wood and used the wage budget freed up to bring in new players. I can understand why last season was a write-off, but this season should have been a fresh start. How much more time were you willing to write off? We probably have the third biggest budget in the League, and although I wasn't even expecting play-offs, I wanted mid-table. Another season down the bottom is really putting an unfair amount of strain of everyone from Lansdown to us. 

He had a structure going, and the tables were starting to turn, things were gradually getting better. Anyone who knows a thing about football, will know that you cannot transform a club overnight. He had a fresh young side there, that ran their hearts out every week. He was trying to install a neat, passing game, but i've never seen such a static midfield, and that was what needed to be worked on. Things were started to turn, and at least 70% of the fans are gutted to see that back of SoD.

most fans who know about football have had enough......we work all week  and spend are hard earnt money on watching a team we love and support through thick and thin,but its becoming harder and harder each saturday.i know we have to go  through lean times but the last few yrs the good times have gone...where going around and around,the team in my opinion are piss poor,a few good individuals   the rest very average..we slagged them of for keeping clueless to long,so it was going to happen and i for one are glad. lets get someone in with passion and fire in there belly,if we lose training on a sunday,fight thats what  we want...come on for  f..k sake show a bit of pride in the shirt.....who ever we get in fire um up...

But never did.

The guy said at the start of the season it would get worse before it got better the results have started to turn and now we sack him and the bookies fave is some guy that got the boot from Crawley if that is true this club is fryer tucked 

Like any City fan I'm not happy with the results that we've had, and particularly the numerous defensive lapses that we have had. 

However I thought SOD was turning it around and given another 3 months we had a decent chance of being mid-table, which we are we are only 6 points off. There has been some encouraging play and I was happy with the direction that the club was taking in terms of playing youth and trying to encourage a passing game of football. He has effectively had 3 months with what is largely a new team with a number of players who are taking time to adapt to this level. I also believe that he had a robust long-term plan and given time would have developed this club into what it could be.

I believe that the board has panicked here and with the team 2 points off safety in November and a decent run of results put together creates the wrong time to sack the manager. What I believe the players need is a consistency in approach and the ability to settle into a system under an established structure. We are not providing them the opportunity to be able to do this by chopping and changing the manager so frequently. I did not expect promotion this season, nor did I expect the team to be challenging for a play off place. What would make me happy is a year where we stayed up with 4-5 games to go and there was a strategy and bedrock in place to rebuild the team on sensible lines and get attractive, fluid football in BS3. What is clear to any manager coming into Ashton Gate is that short-term results are ultimately more important rather than a long-term plan involving youth and progressive development. Instead I think we'll have another short-term manager, some expensive loan-signings and a few journeymen joining for one last hurrah and a quick buck.

I was cautiously optimistic about SOD's appointment because I thought this showed a long-term plan that the club was following. Sacking him 3 months into building what is effectively a new team shows that they do not have the guts to sit this out and accept that success is not built in a few weeks but is the result of a solid structure built over a number of years. Like anyone else I want to see City win each week and hate watching defeats. But I thought we were making progress and I will settle for that if I believe that there is long-term foundations being laid. Changing the manager and approach every 5 minutes means we cannot ever do this.

The guy said at the start of the season it would get worse before it got better the results have started to turn and now we sack him and the bookies fave is some guy that got the boot from Crawley if that is true this club is fryer tucked 

Mate why not go on to twitter and take it out on the real culprits here, the serial failures, the one's telling us how gutted they are, they and his appalling record got him sacked.

Theres two sides to it really. Sod has been unlucky with a lot of the results, bad mistakes have cost us A LOT of points. But 2 wins in this division (full of average and below average sides btw, what does that make us!?) Is no way good enough, I was all for giving him time. BUT if we were going to sack him and get someone else in, now is the time to do it to be fair to the board. Before the January window, were still only 2 points off being out of the 'zone' and hopefully a new head coach can have the effect that gets us a few wins on the bounce ('new manager syndrome' or whatever you want to call it).

If the board had left it till January and we had slipped further into the mire, they would have been slated as well. So its a lose lose for them really.

Can't believe some of this stuff. I have followed city for forty odd years and cannot remember my club being so poor, negative and out of sorts . Most of the present squad are of his choice/signings and are just not producing - who's to blame ? His PR is awful and interviews are sole destroying - how could we go on like this ? ! Out of all city fans I know - not one had a good word for him. I also believe a lot of people have forgotten what supporting our club should feel like . We deserve so much better.  

Can't believe some of this stuff. I have followed city for forty odd years and cannot remember my club being so poor, negative and out of sorts . Most of the present squad are of his choice/signings and are just not producing - who's to blame ? His PR is awful and interviews are sole destroying - how could we go on like this ? ! Out of all city fans I know - not one had a good word for him. I also believe a lot of people have forgotten what supporting our club should feel like . We deserve so much better.  

who is going to come in and make us better 

Don't get me wrong. I feel for him. Nice guy, who genuinely wanted to make this football club a better place. However, he was boring, and so was the football. The possession game consisted of passing it around the back line before finally hoofing to Baldock. As time went by, it became apparent that even if they liked him as a coach, his un-inspirational nature rubbing off on the players on a match day. Then, he would come on the radio week after week to try to persuade us that we played well and were unlucky against one of the leagues best. Most weeks it convinced me to, but gradually I found it harder to forgive. As for the two league games we won, one was a bad mistake and the other was a great individual performance. With the record we had, even Seans supporters can't be to angry with the board. The vast majority would have sacked him weeks ago.I wish him the best of luck, but we have to push on positively.

Best, most articulate and interesting interviewer I've seen in many a year

Archived