IGNORED

Bcfc Is A Enticing Club

Fiale

BCFC is a enticing club for managers.

I have seen people mentioning our league position, budget, owners etc as impediments to getting a quality manager but are we really that bad a prospect...

We do not leak goals, in fact on -5 it would suggest a league position of 16th - 18th position.

We are improving (yes I know some do not want to accept this) league form is...

Over last 18 games 22nd

Over last 10 games 18th

Over last 8 games 16th

Over last 6 games 11th

So even if we continued with the same form as when SOD left us, we will be midtable at the end of the season.

Opposed to what some would have us believe we are not embroiled in a relegation scrap. We are only 2 points below the relegation zone and 6 points from comfortable mid-table .. with 84 points still up for grabs.

We have a pretty good team.. Unlike last season when conceding a goal caused the whole team to give up, we have fought/battled to the end this season.. Bradford, Coventry, Swindon, Carlisle and Orient for example.

We have a large player budget, but sadly it's tied up.. We will likely have a large % of our wage budget freed up in January with Fontaine, Kilkenny, Wilson likely to be moved on, as well as loans ending. This is the chance to bring in three or four players soon to improve the squad.

Barring Flint, Fielding, Wagstaff, Shorey mistakes we would be mid table at the moment.. So again the new manager just has to match our present form to easily stay up (even if we continue conceding to these type of blunders.. With luck we have had our quota of blunders.. In which case we will be comfortable).

I know all the above could also be used as justification to have stuck with SOD... But we are where we are. We are a enticing prospect (and that's even before SL pulling out the cheque book if needed).

So let's not talk ourselves down.

There are certainly prospective managers out there who would be desperate for the chance to manage us, whatever we might think. It is still a prestigious job.  Our problem is that, unusually, of those that are not currently employed the choice is not that great, and the ones that have come to the fore, Holloway, Warnock, Tisdale etc. all have baggage/uncertainties that make the choice a massive gamble.  I was happy with the appointment of SOD a the time, but he has under-achieved beyond my wildest dreams, I remember that Billy Davies was available then and can't help wondering what life would have been like if we had managed to get him. 

I know its all speculation and hindsight, but I don't think we would have surrendered our Championship status in such a pathetic, without a whimper, fashion. 

I agree with half of what you've written.

If I was a young and upcoming manager who fancied a crack at the big time I'd apply. There'll be no shortage of applicants but ultimately the board will make the decision and given their recent track record they'll make the wrong choice.

We ARE involved in a relegation scrap. Right now. To think otherwise is extremely naive. In the last three seasons, nine of the twelve clubs that were relegated from League One were in the bottom six at the end of November. If you're not convinced, look at the records of the teams that aren't doing well in the Premier League, Bundesliga, Serie A and Ligue 1. If you can't win games, you're in trouble.

We don't have a good team. This is easily the worst team I've seen in 25 years of supporting City. I don't know if they've been restricted by O'Driscoll's tactics, but they're dull, tactically predictable, short of imagination, creativity and confidence and are indecisive when in attacking positions. There's also a lack of emotional committment to the cause, which is probably the most worrying aspect of the current situation.

On the bright side, we are capable of scoring goals even though it's not always obvious how they'll be created. However, we cannot rely on outscoring opponents and the defence would be where I'd start. We need to start grinding out 1-0 wins at the moment. Unfortunately we don't have the type of players that can do that, which is odd as I'm pretty sure that's what O'Driscoll was attempting to do.

A lot of managers would definitely see us as a chance to get back into the game or a good chance to get their first "large club". Some of our fans seem to act like our club is some sort of victim due to it's location, and the cities lack of sporting history / success - I am not do sure those in the game feel the same way.

I cannot agree with the relegation fight though.. Just 2, points to get out of the relegation zone, and six points between us and the next nine teams with 28 games left, and 84 points up for grabs. Or if you do consider that position a relegation fight then it's one half the teams in the league are in with the points difference and positions not really that different than three games into the season.

Yes, the employers are the one that are bringing the club down and into disrepute. They are fast becoming owners you wouldn't want to work under due to snappy shortsighted decisions compared to what we thought they were, lovers of the club and game who have money to put in the club as and when needed.

Fast becoming the scrooges of the football league.

It is the owners that are becoming unemployable as soon, no one will want to work for them except to pick up a nice pay off after being sacked three months into their tenure.

Yes, the employers are the one that are bringing the club down and into disrepute. They are fast becoming owners you wouldn't want to work under due to snappy shortsighted decisions compared to what we thought they were, lovers of the club and game who have money to put in the club as and when needed.

Fast becoming the scrooges of the football league.

It is the owners that are becoming unemployable as soon, no one will want to work for them except to pick up a nice pay off after being sacked three months into their tenure.

They have made an awful amount of mistakes, but you can't call them Scrooges, in fact they've been the total opposite, hence the reason were in dire straits now.

What would you have them do throw a few more million into the transfer kitty, then if that failed to improve things moan about the debt they have incurred for the club!

Will be interesting to see if they dig into their pockets to get a "big name" manager, or settle for a pocket cushioning "promising" up and coming manager ala McInnes or just outright skin tight "assistant deserves a go"... Whatever option I sure hope he hits the ground running.

Will be interesting to see if they dig into their pockets to get a "big name" manager, or settle for a pocket cushioning "promising" up and coming manager ala McInnes or just outright skin tight "assistant deserves a go"... Whatever option I sure hope he hits the ground running.

Nothing in the pockets due to Sean's payoff and FFP :(

Archived