IGNORED

Tisdale Fits The Bill

Eco

......according to the post.

Taken Exeter as far as he can, plays attractive football and could work within the five p*llars.

Not a bad shout, think his slightly unconventional dress sense (from what I've seen on the football league show) might annoy some of our more conservative supporters if things don't go well though.

By no means the worst name that's been mentioned. I'd much prefer Tisdale to, say, Cotterill or Barker.

Hopefully if it is him, or another manager with little to no experience at this level the majority of fans will give him a fair chance rather than just moaning that we need an experienced man.

For me he falls into the bracket of rather having, than the likes of Cotterill, Barker, Pearce etc but that's not to say I think he's the man for it.

I happen to think he's a very good manager but due to the fickle nature of a lot of our fans would not get the time needed here so it's probably too much too soon for Tisdale.

Tisdale is a no,  for a myriad of reasons, I dont think that his play is expansive or committed enough and that he does get found out tactically at times. Sure he worked wonders at Exeter , however it was Team Bath where he truly excelled, and it seems like the progressive years have beaten some of that exuberance and tactical nous out of him as Exeter's situation has meant he has to be reserved in what he does, in order to fit in with Exeter's shackles

He is entrenched at Exeter having been there since 2006 and starting again, after being set in his ways  may mean that he and us are incompatible as well as he has gotten a fair degree of autonomy there, something he wont get here

Yes he's only paid for one player, but it's not about wheeling and dealing for us as that is what the DoF is for with limited head coach input, in theory,so that element is away. Exeter's squad is also made up largely of City, Rovers, Yeovil and others old players, he has had success with youth before Sercombe and Seabourne, but it's not always consistant and there are many old guard there.

Finally,  Exeter sit 12th in League Two at present, aside from a one hit season where they finished 8th in this league, Tis has little to no success in this league and 18th and a relegation (23rd)  dont inspire in terms of what we need at present

Sorry friend but I have to disagree with you on a few things there:

- He has worked wonders on a shoestring. I'd be very surprised if anybody had a smaller budget during the 3 seasons Exeter had in League 1, so 8th (incredible) and 18th were very respectable, and the relagtion arguably inevitable eventually. Bare in mind also that he took them from top 10 in the Conference to this league, they challenged for the play offs on a reduced budget last year, and up until a month ago were in the top 3 on a still further reduced budget from last season.

-  Not quite sure I agree that they can't be expansive, although they are better away than at home over the last year.

- Yes there are alot of ex City / Rovers but he has blooded and plays numerous youngsters which have come through their excellent youth system. Does that not sound like somebody who fits our requirements longer term?

- That said I share your reservations in terms of the degree of control he has there compared to the likely siuation with us. And yes he has been there a long while and has said he is very happy there (in fact he consistently says his quality of life is important). The other proviso is that he was given quite a bit of time at Exeter to build a side, and it's unlikely he'd get that here with our track record. For these reasons  I suspect it would be difficult to persuade him to move (to us), but he would be a fine choice in my eyes.

Cheers

Tisdale is a no,  for a myriad of reasons, I dont think that his play is expansive or committed enough and that he does get found out tactically at times. Sure he worked wonders at Exeter , however it was Team Bath where he truly excelled, and it seems like the progressive years have beaten some of that exuberance and tactical nous out of him as Exeter's situation has meant he has to be reserved in what he does, in order to fit in with Exeter's shackles

He is entrenched at Exeter having been there since 2006 and starting again, after being set in his ways  may mean that he and us are incompatible as well as he has gotten a fair degree of autonomy there, something he wont get here

Yes he's only paid for one player, but it's not about wheeling and dealing for us as that is what the DoF is for with limited head coach input, in theory,so that element is away. Exeter's squad is also made up largely of City, Rovers, Yeovil and others old players, he has had success with youth before Sercombe and Seabourne, but it's not always consistant and there are many old guard there.

Finally,  Exeter sit 12th in League Two at present, aside from a one hit season where they finished 8th in this league, Tis has little to no success in this league and 18th and a relegation (23rd)  dont inspire in terms of what we need at present

One of the lowest budgets in the football league and less than many conference teams, he has performed wonders at Exeter to get them promoted twice.  He has spent less than 50k at Exeter in 7 years, has a track record for developing youth, turning around senior pros and selling on players at a profit then rebuilding his team with free transfers, talk about getting the most out the scant resources he has. A victim of his own success.

Fair enough, I did mention he's only once paid a fee, and that would be out of his control here because of DoF, something he may not agree with, As said not belittled his achievements I just think what he did at Team Bath was more impressive, it's a shame they came to an end because of FA Rules and regs re limited companies.

In some ways reminds me of Graham Turners stint at Hereford as opposed to Gradi at Crewe, which is great for the level the club is at and potentially the man himself but would certainly be a bit of a fish out of water here. 

Sure he has brought through youth, as alluded to however the impressive youth have not been as impressive of recent times, whether that's due to poorer intake or development I couldnt say as I dont know. Im assuming the current youths coming through would have been recruited when the club was in turmoil c.2005 as opposed to already at the club when Tisdale took over. Again that's not a blight, just an observation, albeit I've not looked closely to confirm either way

Still not sold on what he could do for us as is effectively all new to him. if we had been established as a midtable club in this league then it may have been different, however he isnt tactically adept enough in my eyes to work in a struggling team at this level, yet. He's only 40 or so which is young so there is time,however it's not the right appointment for us now. 

Not sure re the quality of youth, as you say he may not have had the say whether the kids joined or not, I guess I'm saying he isn't afraid to blood them (or he doesn't have a choice given the budget!). And yep it would be a gamble as I guess it always is with a young manager. See McIness as an example of that, but you won't know unless you take the punt. Although In addition he hasn't had to 'turn around' a club on the slide in his career, which is the requirement here (although you could argue we've bounced off the bottom now even if results ain't great, but I think? you aren't a big SOD fan so may not agree with me there..)

Sorry friend but I have to disagree with you on a few things there:

- He has worked wonders on a shoestring. I'd be very surprised if anybody had a smaller budget during the 3 seasons Exeter had in League 1, so 8th (incredible) and 18th were very respectable, and the relagtion arguably inevitable eventually. Bare in mind also that he took them from top 10 in the Conference to this league, they challenged for the play offs on a reduced budget last year, and up until a month ago were in the top 3 on a still further reduced budget from last season.

-  Not quite sure I agree that they can't be expansive, although they are better away than at home over the last year.

- Yes there are alot of ex City / Rovers but he has blooded and plays numerous youngsters which have come through their excellent youth system. Does that not sound like somebody who fits our requirements longer term?

- That said I share your reservations in terms of the degree of control he has there compared to the likely siuation with us. And yes he has been there a long while and has said he is very happy there (in fact he consistently says his quality of life is important). The other proviso is that he was given quite a bit of time at Exeter to build a side, and it's unlikely he'd get that here with our track record. For these reasons  I suspect it would be difficult to persuade him to move (to us), but he would be a fine choice in my eyes.

Cheers

I went to the Leyton Orient game with an Exeter fan.  He can't wait for Tisdale to go.

The person who worked wonders on a budget that wouldn't even allow for shoestrings was Eddie Howe.   He was the one we should have gone for instead of Derek McInnes.  He did okay at Burnley but didn't settle in the area, there's no guarantees he would have settled in Bristol but I reckon there was a better chance.  It would be very hard to prise him away from his home town where he is achieving success and there would be the loyalty factor plus his Burnley experience that might make it difficult.  

Although we are struggling in the depths of league 1 that might play pin our favour.  A manager (not saying Eddie Howe) might see us a a no-brainer for enhancing his reputation. It would be relatively stress free as our expectations are so low in relation in terms of league position aspirations despite having a top budget for this league and catchment area around one of the UK's biggest cities that gives a realistic shot of achieving Premiership football over time.  

Mid-table or staying up without taking it down to the wire this year would satisfy most fans and challenging for the play-offs in subsequent seasons with some decent football and young players coming through is fine for the next couple of seasons.  That's a nice opportunity and environment for a young manager with talent who fits the five pillars criteria to come into.  Given how badly the last few managers have fared then any manager who turns it around with a bit less of a doom and gloom person than Sean would get a lot of credit and good will from the fans.  More so than for a Club with lesser prospects who retain Championship status , punch above their weight but don't have any prospects of reaching the heavyweight division.

• Admin

......according to the post.

Taken Exeter as far as he can, plays attractive football and could work within the five p*llars.

Not a bad shout, think his slightly unconventional dress sense (from what I've seen on the football league show) might annoy some of our more conservative supporters if things don't go well though.

Exeter's form LLLLLLLLD, yeah perfect!

Looking at their forum they are rubbing their hands with anticiaption http://www.exeweb.com/forums/showthread.php?52789-Tisdale-off-to-Bristol-City

No thanks!! Imo we have taken that option in the last 3 appointments and look where we are?? We can not afford to get this one wrong we need someone with at least championship experience to get us back there. Not someone that may take us down but don't worry has got the experience to get us out of league 2 next season, I heard all that BS last season.

Exeter's form LLLLLLLLD, yeah perfect!

Looking at their forum they are rubbing their hands with anticiaption http://www.exeweb.com/forums/showthread.php?52789-Tisdale-off-to-Bristol-City

No doubt some ECFC fans want him gone, but living here I know alot don't. At the risk of provoking a wider argument (I'm really not trying to, honest!), the loudest voices on forums do tend to be the ones who want change....

Archived