IGNORED

Should The Board Read And Listen To The Views On This Forum?

Tomo

Bang on mate - all the warnock and holloway negative comments are from a bunch of lads who are are still living in a world I adopted in my youth. I am not in my teenage years anymore and even though Warnock and Holloway were an enemy at some point supporting the club I love, it is 1 of those 2 candidates that should be the next manager at BCFC. Not ffs, for christ sake, lets get the right man in,

Cotterill or Colin ?

Cotterill or Skeletor ?

Its a no brainer - lose the smallminded-ness. No man is bigger than our club. But the right man is important to our club and dismissing these 2 candidates is just shameful. Its the club we love, not the manager. Dont listen to the forum Mr Lansdown and Senior, make the right BUSINESS decision as if you were in any other industry. Look at the C.V'S and ignore any past history!

What I don't get with the people backing Holloway or Warnock is that it's not 2009 or 2010 and, in the last 3 or 4 years, both of them have had a pretty torrid time of it.  Warnock was utterly out of his depth in the Premier League with QPR (the most notable moment being when Clint Hill was screaming at him "for ****'s sake, we need to change the ****ing tactics, they're outnumbering us" against Norwich just before Norwich equalised).  He then took over at Leeds and, despite it looking like a match made in Heaven, he really struggled and when he left they were seriously starting to look in danger of relegation.  He's subsequently said he doesn't want to manage again.

Meanwhile Holloway left Blackpool having admitted he'd basically lost interest and motivation and with the players admitting they'd barely even trained in his last weeks at the club.  He took over at Palace who were in a good position and stuttered quite a bit and, whilst they did ultimately get promotion, it was far more through the foundations Freeman had built.  Once up, he felt out with quite a few players and then left very, very early in the season having admitted he'd lost the dressing room and couldn't cope.

With both Warnock and Holloway, I genuinely don't mind about either of their past issues with Bristol City as a football club and, had we brought in either of them when Johnson, Coppell or Millen left, then, whilst some of the fans might have disliked it, I'm convinced they'd have done a great job.

But what worries me is that the fans on this board's favourites for the job - based on the poll - are two managers who at the moment are living on their past records and show worrying signs of a lack of motivation or desire. I can't help thinking of the fact we appointed SOD based on the early part of his career and ignoring how things ended up on Doncaster Rovers with an appalling run of form - I can't help thinking if we got Holloway or Warnock we'd get someone who used to be good but whose best days were behind them.

A very interesting question,

I have a number of friends who do not participate in the forum (they will read a fair few threads but do not get involved in the banter which is probably the best way really),

A very good friend of mine, who knows I like to put my views forward on the forum rang me this morning regarding the recent ongoings with Sod's departure. He was busy yesterday working so we had a 40 minute telephone debate on the next best thing for the club,

He made a very very good point. The posters on this forum do not reflect the overall fans views (probably 5% to 10% of our fanbase maximum) so should the board of directors really be bothered what is written on OTIB.

Although I regulary participate in banter, it got me really thinking. My close friend is probabaly right. Alot of crap is written on OTIB (and I probably come out with some of it myself).

All the warnock "i dont want him", the holloway "he is gas head" comments is totally "a one man and his keyboard opinion..."

The two blokes mentioned above are probably the most wanted manager by the majority of our fanbase - so posters (including me) we are not the most important fans of our football club. We just happen to be forum users who want to express our anger, opinion, passion and ultimately our love for our football club,

It doesnt mean we are the best fans and SPEAK FOR THE CLUB !

Tomo

+1

Of course the board shouldn't listen to the fans on this forum.  Or anywhere else really.  There's a perfectly good reason why we pay for tickets rather than being paid to run the club and that's that the vast majority of football fans know relatively little about football beyond the confines of their own club and letting the fans run the show would be an utter disaster in most cases.

What the board should do is employ someone on the board with experience and in-depth footballing knowledge to support and them and give them guidance.  But certainly not listen to the fans.

I'd like to send you a Christmas card. Gawd bless you, sir!

I believe the views on this forum are indicitave of the views of the majority of City fans, that's how opinion polls work. You question a sample of the demographic in question.

For example, on the current manager poll Warnock is the clear favourite after 370 odd votes. As polls go that is quite a large sample, and I have no doubt that if you gave that same list to all fans you would get a very similar result.

My dad does fancy himself as a bit of a wheeler dealer.

Sadly not though. I shall have not 1/1,000,000th of JL's inheritance.

:)

Ah well never mind. Back to the daily grind is is then! Does he ever tell you"this time next year" you'll be a millionaire? And does he own a lockup around the back of AG?

He made a very very good point. The posters on this forum do not reflect the overall fans views (probably 5% to 10% of our fanbase maximum) so should the board of directors really be bothered what is written on OTIB.

There are nearly 12000 members of this forum. The vast majority post and are fans. It's more like 50%.

If you were running a poll even 5% would be more than enough to get a good feel for opinions though. Have a look at sample sizes and confidence intervals and the like.

That would just sum up this board if they listen to some of the rubbish written on here.

You should hear the "rubbish" spoken in the board room, "Soup." No, what happens is, the board go to great lengths to give the appearance of listening to the fans, and their "rubbish," and then just doing what the board wants to do. Or not even what some of the board want to do! It is very important though, to the board, that the fans think they are being listened to. Think this is part of one of those pillows, if I'm not mistaken ...

A very interesting question,

I have a number of friends who do not participate in the forum (they will read a fair few threads but do not get involved in the banter which is probably the best way really),

A very good friend of mine, who knows I like to put my views forward on the forum rang me this morning regarding the recent ongoings with Sod's departure. He was busy yesterday working so we had a 40 minute telephone debate on the next best thing for the club,

Although I regulary participate in banter, it got me really thinking. My close friend is probabaly right. Alot of crap is written on OTIB (and I probably come out with some of it myself).

All the warnock "i dont want him", the holloway "he is gas head" comments is totally "a one man and his keyboard opinion..."

The two blokes mentioned above are probably the most wanted manager by the majority of our fanbase - so posters (including me) we are not the most important fans of our football club. We just happen to be forum users who want to express our anger, opinion, passion and ultimately our love for our football club,

It doesnt mean we are the best fans and SPEAK FOR THE CLUB !

Tomo

Tomo.. Holloway and Warnock also happen to be the most wanted on this forum as well if you accept the Poll.. in other words the forum is representational and yes.. the club definitely take notice of it in the form of Adam Baker and others.

I actually found quite the opposite.

Coming out of the ground - from any number of games this season (Oldham, Brentford, Sheff Utd) all I could hear in the Williams was about how terrible it was, how its getting worse etc etc

Then I have a look on here and actually read some people talking of a 'good point' and 'we actually played ok in spells' etc etc

Sometimes those on here, I couldn't believe they watched the same game as those that were at the game with me!

Probably depends on your personality type. If you're negative then posters on here may seem positive!

From having a season ticket in the Williams (now Dolman) for a number of years I can honestly say that is the dullest stand in the ground. Zero atmosphere. A funeral would  seem upbeat in comparison to sitting in the Williams.

Archived