IGNORED

Things What Sod Said

DownendRed97

"we might have lost 3-0 to Peterboro, but will limited them to half the amount of passes they usually complete"

"Confidence and belief can't be turned on and off like a light switch"

"if we keep doing the right things, the right results will come of it"

"I don't coach technique, I coach decision making"

Any others spring to mind?...

"There a big club " aimed at most teams we played inc shrewsbury

And before the Sheff Utd game on Radio Bristol the interviewer referred to them as a big club in this division. Sod said he didn't understand what a big club is..... I suggest, now he's got time on his hands he takes a trip to Real Madrid then a trip to, say, Bristol Rovers and plays spot the difference.

Snipe as much as you like folks, but you'll not see another manager here who is so honest and open with the fans.

If you want the usual cliche's then good on you.  I for one feel as if I've had an education under his tutorship.

Fair enough - you can say what you want about the results and be fully justified, but with every word he said at every press conference, every programme note, every Q & A evening, every Fans Parliament, every interview with fanzines etc, he was trying to educate the fan base.

It may not have worked out on the pitch for him, but I'd safely say a lot of fans have been enhanced in their views/understanding of the game.

Snipe as much as you like folks, but you'll not see another manager here who is so honest and open with the fans.

If you want the usual cliche's then good on you.  I for one feel as if I've had an education under his tutorship.

Fair enough - you can say what you want about the results and be fully justified, but with every word he said at every press conference, every programme note, every Q & A evening, every Fans Parliament, every interview with fanzines etc, he was trying to educate the fan base.

It may not have worked out on the pitch for him, but I'd safely say a lot of fans have been enhanced in their views/understanding of the game.

Been on the falling over water have we?

If you want the usual cliche's then good on you. I for one feel as if I've had an education under his tutorship.

I agree. He has certainly extended my range of knowledge and taught me to think that football may not always be a matter of results. Was willing to give him time as I was convinced that he would in time walk the walk!

"Bristol city the team are not Bristol city the club "

If you don't understand that you're not a real football supporter. That's the first thing you learn when your team lets you down and you're gutted by it. It's the club you support, not any one team.

Most of the team I first supported have gone to the Great Stadium in the Sky - the club is still there.

Talked of a passing game on the radio then

I'd take my seat and watch very ugly hoofball by a side with zero confidence at home that he had picked and coached.

His talk didn't match what he presented

As said, if you want to slam him on results, then feel free, but what he preached was the right stuff (in my opinion).

Yes, it didn't always translate to the pitch, but it might be quite difficult to impart a new philosophy on a squad of players in 10 months and 1 transfer window?

I'd argue though that the "hoofball" you speak of was more prevalent under previous managers, and that in fact our ball retention this season has been markedly improved.

If you want the usual cliche's then good on you. I for one feel as if I've had an education under his tutorship.

Spot on, he took the bollocks out of the mundane football talk.

He explained how a coach works in a way that other coaches can't be bothered.

He treated our fan base with respect( by explaining 'properly' what he was doing) rather than coming out with the usual cliches that managers and coaches always use to the fans.

As said, if you want to slam him on results, then feel free, but what he preached was the right stuff (in my opinion).

Yes, it didn't always translate to the pitch, but it might be quite difficult to impart a new philosophy on a squad of players in 10 months and 1 transfer window?

I'd argue though that the "hoofball" you speak of was more prevalent under previous managers, and that in fact our ball retention this season has been markedly improved.

If our ball retention is the be all and end all then why was I bored  sh1tless watching his team, to the point that I just did not want to go any more.

Do you seriously believe that what was dished up week in week out was worth watching, narrow, square passing, lack of forward drive from midfield, 

followed by the wosh to Baldock, it was in the main damm awfull. I think the players we have are more than capable of holding their own in this division,

sadly the tactics they were being asked to play in my opinion was the problem, thats down to SOD, thats why hes gone.

He bit of more than he could chew, didn't understand enough about the club and started losing the plot here becoming paranoid which led him to seek a point as opposed to a win.

Right man, wrong time. It is as simple as that. If he came in post GJ we would not be a blot on his CV. He came in to do a job far bigger than he could chew and I believe not one he has the attributes to do - that's not to say I think he's a bad manager... It is exactly the same as players: round pegs for round holes. He was the antithesis of what we needed. Looking back to Del's sacking I said at the time there is no-one out there that I think would do better. I'd have been happy for Del to lead us into THIS season and genuinely believe our league position would be improved. With SOD out there are two chaps I'd go for- warnock or phelan. Interestingly they are chalk and cheese. Warnock would have the remit keep us up, Phelan on the other hand would have the remit of 18 months to show what you're about.

If both would come in Phelan would be the choice... But Warnock a v close second as I think he is our best bey.

winning is overated , its a state of mind , you can lose , draw , win or not even play and still win , if you play really bad and lose , in some ways you have won . in fact the more you lose the better you get . its not easy to lose, its takes a lot hard work on the training ground, which is where I come in . if being awful was easy , everyone one would do it .

If our ball retention is the be all and end all then why was I bored  sh1tless watching his team, to the point that I just did not want to go any more.

Do you seriously believe that what was dished up week in week out was worth watching, narrow, square passing, lack of forward drive from midfield, 

followed by the wosh to Baldock, it was in the main damm awfull. I think the players we have are more than capable of holding their own in this division,

sadly the tactics they were being asked to play in my opinion was the problem, thats down to SOD, thats why hes gone.

No, I said none of that.

Kaiser said we play hoofball.  I countered with the argument that our ball retention is better than previous years.

I didn't say it was necessarily pretty or entertaining.  The fact that you were bored and that Kaiser lost interest doesn't mean it didn't actually happen, coz it did - our ball retention is markedly improved on previous years.

Your post has moved the debate away from the discussion on this thread, which is about what SOD SAID, not what he DID.

To bring you back to topic - you can say what you like about the results, but you'll not see another manager at this club so open in his dealings with the fanbase.

Quite right, Harry.

If our ball retention is the be all and end all then why was I bored sh1tless watching his team, to the point that I just did not want to go any more.

Do you seriously believe that what was dished up week in week out was worth watching, narrow, square passing, lack of forward drive from midfield,

That's exactly how I felt.

Partway through game v Sheff Utd I was thinking which fish and chip shop to go to and whether I would have chicken or cod.

The guys in front of me were talking about his new greenhouse

Everyone was bored.

Sideways, sideways, sideways, back sideways, Whooooooooosh.

Like I said he talked a great game but didn't deliver it.

Great post, Harry!

Great post Harry.

He was very accessible to fans. Unfortunately he was trying to educate the ignorant. Granted it's based on results but whoever is here next will have a huge ask trying to meet the clubs long term strategy.

I personally thought he spoke very well in the media (albeit quietly) and I often found a lot of what he had to say made sense when trying to educate all of us. Even after matches he didn't hide behind cliche's or bad performances.

Nothing used to annoy me more about McInnes than after games when he wouldn't say it as it was, he would basically say what the fans wanted to hear. I'm sure now we will get manager that has charisma and outspoken. After all isn't that what being a manager is based on? It will please everyone I'm sure when we hear cliche's all the time, or it was the referees fault everyone etc etc everyone will be happy again.

Archived