IGNORED

Paul Tisdale

Paul Cheesey

Can I ask why people are so against this guy. He seems to have done a good job on s shoe string budget and playing good football I know he has hardly been ripping up trees and people may have a preferred choice but what are the reasons Tisdale is such a big no.

I am not saying that he is my choice to be next manager but he seems to fit the ethos the board are spouting The sod thing is done ok so I am not sulking with this just stating as a point but my reason for keeping Sod was that I could see no one better to replace him.

I am not saying that he is my choice to be next manager but he seems to fit the ethos the board are spouting The sod thing is done ok so I am not sulking with this just stating as a point but my reason for keeping Sod was that I could see no one better to replace him.

I would have him every day of the week over Cotterill. Unfortunately it's done now though and Cotterill has the job.

Think he's run out of challenges at Exeter. Like any manager who's stayed at the club along time, think they start to get stale.

Him or Cotterill for me. David flitcroft also mentioned. Think he'd be good to, but with a director of football as he's bought some dross at Barnsley.

No, sorry. The Exeter fans are distinctly unimpressed with him.

Yeah but you have to appreciate football fans are very disloyal in general and also recent results massively cloud their judgement. 7 games ago, Exeter were in the automatic promotion spots, having once again lost their best players in the summer, and since they have been on a bad run. So their fans judgement is clouded by that. 

Also, he has been there a long time and football fans tend to like a change. Last season, most Arse fans wanted Wenger out. After first game this season, that was a huge majority of fans. Now look at them. Fans are fickle and have unrealistic expectations. The Exeter fans will find out what kind of manager he was after they lose him. 

I think he'd be a decent option. Im fine with people holding a different opinion or a preference. Entirely possible he could come here and be rubbish.

But I dont know how you can look at his current record and say anything other than "He has done really well with the cards he has been dealt."

His CV speaks for itself; English football's longest-serving manager after Arsenal's Arsene Wenger, he took Exeter to their highest-ever league position on a shoestring budget.

One of football's new breed of managers, Tisdale has a reputation for being a talented training-ground coach and his teams are synonymous with attractive football.

Speculation is nothing new for the Exeter boss and he has been linked with a number of positions previously, most notably Swansea City and Swindon. But he has always preferred to stay at St James' Park.

But the fact he lives in Bath and has apparently taken Exeter as far as he can, suggests he might be interested in the vacancy at Ashton Gate.

All the above said, I do think this is a total non story. Its just a rehash of the BEP article and that was an opinion piece without a single bit of substance. Might put Tisdale on the board's radar but Im sure he was before and they have passed over him for other candidates so unlikely to change now. 

Can I ask why people are so against this guy. He seems to have done a good job on s shoe string budget and playing good football I know he has hardly been ripping up trees and people may have a preferred choice but what are the reasons Tisdale is such a big no.

I will tell you why I don't want him and that is because he has not achieved half of what SOD has achieved in football and we have just sacked him. Why would any fan want the club to take a step backwards ??

Is this the same Paul Tisdale that used to play for us?

If so, I remember him putting in one of the worst performances I've ever seen from an individual City player (Away at Wrexham, we lost 2-0). I know it will make no difference to his managerial qualities, but it's what he always sticks in my mind for.

I will tell you why I don't want him and that is because he has not achieved half of what SOD has achieved in football and we have just sacked him. Why would any fan want the club to take a step backwards ??

Ok but he has not been given a budget like Sod has had or the time arguably. Can I ask who your option is working within the five pillars philosophy. As I said I stuck behind Sod because I could not see we could do better. Its possible he wouldnt be a step backwards.

I will tell you why I don't want him and that is because he has not achieved half of what SOD has achieved in football and we have just sacked him. Why would any fan want the club to take a step backwards ??

Hmm. .. Im not sure that is true. Tisdale has a lot of success in his time as a manager. More than most achieve. Probably more than SOD achieved if we are being neutral about it (I should say Im a big SOD fan).

Also, SOD has been managing substantially longer than Tisdale so he has had more chance for success.

I didnt want to lose SOD and think the decision is an awful one. But we are where we are now and we will really struggle to get someone with a reputation as good as SOD. And, when you are a L1 club in the relegation zone, you dont necessarily have the privilege of appointing someone with massive proven success. That is difficult enough in the PL. In our position, we need to identify talent and appoint that. There just arent a massive list of big names wanting to walk into this job right now; certainly not ones of SODs reputation in the game. 

so you're going to compare a 40 year old vs a 56 year old on their current success?

I will tell you why I don't want him and that is because he has not achieved half of what SOD has achieved in football and we have just sacked him. Why would any fan want the club to take a step backwards ??

Didn't he get Exeter promoted twice? And on no money? Sod got Donnie promoted twice, but was massively backed as they'd just gone to a new stadium. Think he's easily as good a manager.

:laugh: ask any forest fans what they think of coterill, they won't say he was successful.

I don't think you read the link provided on one of the threads earlier. There is at least one that disagrees with your statement!

All the above said, I do think this is a total non story. Its just a rehash of the BEP article and that was an opinion piece without a single bit of substance. Might put Tisdale on the board's radar but Im sure he was before and they have passed over him for other candidates so unlikely to change now.

They're owned by the same company, it's a lazy rehash!

"Terrible" - seriously? You're allowed a preference and to say that he doesnt sit right with you, but "terrible" - on what basis? Which one of his jobs has he done "terribly"?

Exeter, non movers in L2, check their recent results. We really don't want or need a manager who will let his team get beaten at home

I think that is very fair, if you want to be a successful team you have to pick points up at home

I dont understand which managers dont let their teams get beaten at home? 

And also, a home win is just as valuable as an away win no?

Im just not sure what youre driving at. Like I keep saying, no guarantees that Tis would be a success here and I think there are other candidates with positives that you can focus on. But I keep going back to the fact that I just dont see what more Tisdale could have done with his teams over his career. Im well aware of their recent results. 6 games ago, they were in third. So if we were looking then, would we have considered Exeter a team on the up rather than "non-moving" (which is also not true - he took them up into that league, and he amazingly managed to get them promoted from it and then managed to keep them in L1, despite constant player sales and spending 50k total.)

Got no idea if he'd work out here. Just saying what he has done so far cant be dismissed as terrible or unimpressive. He's clearly done much better than most managers in his first 10 years of the job. 

Archived