IGNORED

Approval Ratings

Tom Fleuriot

A few days back, I produced a horrendously convoluted poll about whether people felt positively or negatively about each individuals' appointments.  72 people responded, with the last response after Thursday. I thought there were a few interesting outcomes to it and thought I'd flash up the stats.

The main thing that stands out for me (and is reinforced by Ian M's poll) is that even when Cotterill was a noise among 40ish managers, he was far and away one of the three most disliked candidates.

Another interesting point is that of the ten most popular candidates, Warnock was the second most disliked after GJ.  So a lot of people really want him, but a fair few people really don't want him.

What's my point? I don't have one.  The sample probably isn't large enough to be representative anyway.  I just have nothing else to do right now, and I like graphs.  Although I'm not sure how legible they are anyway.  Apologies for wasting people's time.

post-5610-0-71447200-1385931831_thumb.jp

Look at the Cotterill thread. At the time of posting over 70% don't want him. Did 70% of fans want SO'D gone? We could be about to appoint a manager that's less popular than the one we sacked. Only at City!

That did occur to me. I've never know such a negative reaction to a manager's sacking. Regardless of whether it was the right decision, it doesn't bode well for the club's future :(

Look at the Cotterill thread. At the time of posting over 70% don't want him. Did 70% of fans want SO'D gone? We could be about to appoint a manager that's less popular than the one we sacked. Only at City!

It's pretty mad.  What's interesting is that even before people thought about him specifically (researched his background etc), over 55% of those 72 respondents expressly found the thought of his appointment to be a bad thing.

Wonder how popular a choice Alex ferguson was at united. Or wenger at arsenal. Or even Mancini at man city or pocchitino at saints.

Doesn't really matter how popular he is. He just needs to be the right person for the job.

Agree absolutely with your points on Wenger / Mancini / Pochettino.  You could say the same for Mourinho when he first turned up at Chelsea.  Think Ferguson was a popular choice when he first came in, but then less popular about three years later.

But it does say to me that a manager is going to have to seriously hit the ground running if they're going to get the right atmosphere in the stadiums.  Which Wenger (Double) / Mancini (FA Cup) / Pochettino (better performances) / Mourinho (league title) all did.  

So I'm not saying that it means an unpopular manager shouldn't be appointed - I'm saying that they'll have to be bloody good.

Archived