IGNORED

Can Somebody Translate This?

swampy

I am pretty intelligent in terms of having A Levels and a decent degree but I have no idea what this means!!

England are in an unseeded pot of European countries but could still be moved ahead of Friday's draw for the 2014 Fifa World Cup.

Roy Hodgson's side are included in Pot 4, along with eight other European teams, for the draw in Brazil.

Beforehand, one of those teams will be drawn into Pot 2, and will face one of the four South American seeds.

No more than two European teams, or one from South America, can be drawn in the same group for next year's competition.

If England are moved to Pot 2, which contains seven African and South American teams, they would be guaranteed to face either Brazil, Argentina, Colombia or Uruguay, who will form a temporary "Pot X".

The three South American teams in "Pot X" not drawn against the European team in Pot 2 will go back into the main draw.

Should England remain in Pot 4, they could face any of the top eight seeds from Pot 1.

:laugh: I thought much the same when I first read it...

Basically, the rules state that there can only be one South American team in any given World Cup Finals group.

The problem that has arisen is that pots 1 and 2 give the chance that two South American teams will be drawn together:

eg:

• Spain, Ivory Coast
  • Belgium, Ghana
  • Germany, Algeria
  • Switzerland, Nigeria
  • Argentina, Cameroon
  • Colombia, Chile
  • Uruguay, Ecuador

(I'm pretty sure Brazil don't get the geographical protection, due to being hosts...although I could be wrong on this count.)

Therefore, they're trying to make sure that they draw the South American seeds against a non-South American team in pot 2, so are adding in an extra European team to that pot.

Something like that, anyway.

I think.

:unsure:

:laugh: I thought much the same when I first read it...

Basically, the rules state that there can only be one South American team in any given World Cup Finals group.

The problem that has arisen is that pots 1 and 2 give the chance that two South American teams will be drawn together:

eg:

• Spain, Ivory Coast
  • Belgium, Ghana
  • Germany, Algeria
  • Switzerland, Nigeria
  • Argentina, Cameroon
  • Colombia, Chile
  • Uruguay, Ecuador
(I'm pretty sure Brazil don't get the geographical protection, due to being hosts...although I could be wrong on this count.)

Therefore, they're trying to make sure that they draw the South American seeds against a non-South American team in pot 2, so are adding in an extra European team to that pot.

Something like that, anyway.

I think.

:unsure:

Could this not have been solved if they didn't try to be clever dicks and seed a South American side like Colombia? Or is that me being very short sighted and not understanding?

The whole things a joke anyway. The groups are already decided. It will be it's usual fix.

The sooner that snivelling little**** Blatter snuffs it, the better.

Could this not have been solved if they didn't try to be clever dicks and seed a South American side like Colombia? Or is that me being very short sighted and not understanding?

Potentially easier, yes - but then they've made a rod for their own backs slightly there in that the seedings are decided by the FIFA rankings.. So not much they can really do.

Because of their unfathomable way of ranking nations (Switzerland are seeded, Italy and Holland aren't), there are 9 non seeded european sides. In the past they've fudged it so that there are 8 non-seeded european sides, meaning it has been neater.  The draw has always been organised regionally. 

The draw is organised into 4 pots.  One pot of 8 seeds, one european, one African / South American and one Asian / North American.  However, the African/South American pot has 7 nations and the european 9.  They will therefore draw one of the 9 european sides out to move into the pot with the African/South American sides.  Furthermore, in order to prevent there being 3 European sides in one group, that team will be drawn against one of the 4 South American seeds. That group will also contain one of the remaining 8 european sides plus a side from the Asian/South American pot.  

Anyone on the radio, Tv or any other media claiming it is advantageous or disadvantageous is talking out their arse unless they have a degree in advanced maths and have worked out the exact probability.  If that side draws Brazil or Argentina it's disadvantageous.  If they draw Uruquay or Colombia you'd have to say it's advantageous. 

Potentially easier, yes - but then they've made a rod for their own backs slightly there in that the seedings are decided by the FIFA rankings.. So not much they can really do.

It really is an utterly pitiful sham. It will only be us who suffers though and get shafted with a stupidly hard group.

They could have bent the rules slightly in terms of seedings. Regardless of FIFA rankings the likes of Switzerland and Colombia simply shouldn't be seeded. I'm not saying England should either but Holland, Italy & France? They can't be serious. They have all been major nations in the actual tournaments, two of those contesting a WC final in 2006. Of course they will only bend the rules to **** over England.

Bunch of corrupt spineless *****,

Because of their unfathomable way of ranking nations (Switzerland are seeded, Italy and Holland aren't), there are 9 non seeded european sides. In the past they've fudged it so that there are 8 non-seeded european sides, meaning it has been neater. The draw has always been organised regionally.

The draw is organised into 4 pots. One pot of 8 seeds, one european, one African / South American and one Asian / North American. However, the African/South American pot has 7 nations and the european 9. They will therefore draw one of the 9 european sides out to move into the pot with the African/South American sides. Furthermore, in order to prevent there being 3 European sides in one group, that team will be drawn against one of the 4 South American seeds. That group will also contain one of the remaining 8 european sides plus a side from the Asian/South American pot.

Anyone on the radio, Tv or any other media claiming it is advantageous or disadvantageous is talking out their arse unless they have a degree in advanced maths and have worked out the exact probability. If that side draws Brazil or Argentina it's disadvantageous. If they draw Uruquay or Colombia you'd have to say it's advantageous.

I certainly would not consider drawing Uruguay in South America as 'advantageous'. Colombia maybe but any South American side out that neck of the woods will be a real battle when you factor in the climate etc

I certainly would not consider drawing Uruguay in South America as 'advantageous'. Colombia maybe but any South American side out that neck of the woods will be a real battle when you factor in the climate etc

Maybe.  I was working on the proviso that Spain, Brazil, Germany and Argentina are disadvantageous and Belgium, Switzerland, Colombia and Uruguay are advantageous.  In fact, it's probably more important to avoid sides like Mexico, USA or Chile in favour of Algeria, Honduras or Costa Rica.  

Maybe. I was working on the proviso that Spain, Brazil, Germany and Argentina are disadvantageous and Belgium, Switzerland, Colombia and Uruguay are advantageous. In fact, it's probably more important to avoid sides like Mexico, USA or Chile in favour of Algeria, Honduras or Costa Rica.

Ah I see!

Sorry mate. Interesting theory though!

Agree. It will be the toughest WC I have seen England in my lifetime that's for sure.

I'm looking forward to the WC more than ever, because I've always cringed at the "we're going to win the world cup" BS that comes out of this country.

Now that the majority of fans are being realistic and realise that we are nowhere near as good as we like to think we are, it eases some of the expectation and who knows, might actually help the team rather than hinder it.

Greece didn't think they were going to win the Euro's, and not thinking it didn't do them any harm!

They were talking about this on the tv news this morning. Apparently England could be in the 'group of death' with all this pot switching jiggery pokery. Their idea of a bad draw would be Brazil, Italy and the USA?

Also they were saying about the world cup footballs which they likened to one of those light plastic ones sold in supermarkets and beach shops.

• Admin

Also one team from Pot 4, will be drawn and moved into Pot 2 before the draw to balance the number of teams in each pot

Gutted I am on a plane home when the draw is being done, nothing like waiting two hours just to do a simple draw.

Imagine if the FA Cup 3rd round draw on Sunday was done this way!, oh hang on lets not give the FA any ideas

They were talking about this on the tv news this morning. Apparently England could be in the 'group of death' with all this pot switching jiggery pokery. Their idea of a bad draw would be Brazil, Italy and the USA?

Also they were saying about the world cup footballs which they likened to one of those light plastic ones sold in supermarkets and beach shops.

Come on, M, we all know that it will be England who gets dumped into the group with the South American teams. Blatter has it in for us even more since we pointed to his corrupt practices.

I am sure I saw something the other week though saying it would be France who ended up in Pot 2 (for whatever reason)

Now it seems to have opened up again.

It used to be the lowest ranked European team that got swapped, but that would have been France. That doesn't suit Batter. It'll be us, trust me.

Archived