IGNORED

Cotterills First Team

EDoubleD

So if this thread is up, but was wondering what his first team selection might be...

G - Parish

RB - Maloney

CB - flint

CB - Williams

LB - Cunningham (had him at forest)

RMF - Wags

CM - Pack

CM - Elliot

LM - JET

CF - baldock

CF - Taylor

Think he'll go classic 442, play the player he knows or experienced pro's. Play with width, but keep JET In somehow, while also going big man/small man up top.

For me, the team should be...

................................Parrish.................................

Moloney.........flint............Williams.....Cunningham

...Wagstaff.........wynter........Reid...........Bryan.......

.................................jet(AM)..................................

.........................baldock.........................................

Keep width, jet as a floating man in attacking midfield. Baldock making runs up top from through balls from bobby etc wynter to come back in and prove why we have needed him as a box to box well composed passer of the ball. Bobby needs no explanation and I want to see Bryan kick on in left midfield. Got a good cross, we need to start using it.

So if this thread is up, but was wondering what his first team selection might be...

G - Parish

RB - Maloney

CB - flint

CB - Williams

LB - Cunningham (had him at forest)

RMF - Wags

CM - Pack

CM - Elliot

LM - JET

CF - baldock

CF - Taylor

Think he'll go classic 442, play the player he knows or experienced pro's. Play with width, but keep JET In somehow, while also going big man/small man up top.

I think that's pretty much spot on. When speaking on radio briz, he said something along the lines of "maybe baldock would be top scorer if he had been playing alongside someone", which suggests he will be looking at playing two up front.

I think that's pretty much spot on. When speaking on radio briz, he said something along the lines of "maybe baldock would be top scorer if he had been playing alongside someone", which suggests he will be looking at playing two up front.

Those years on football manager are paying off...

I agree with MR re: fielding Fielding- I reckon he'll go;

Gk - Fielding

RB - Maloney

CB- Flint

CB - Williams

LB - Cunningham (Maybe Shorey)

RM - Wagstaff

CM - Pack

CM - Elliott (Wynter anytime in the second half)

LM - McClaughlin (Bryan 80 ish)

ST - Baldock

ST - JET (Harewood to replace after 60-70 mins)

Forgive me if I've missed any injuries/illness news

He'll pick a team that he knows as much as possible about now and give younger/less experienced players the chance as and when they oust the players above.

Were Maloney, Cunningham, McClaughlin & Harewood at Forest with Cotterill?

I agree with MR re: fielding Fielding- I reckon he'll go;

Gk - Fielding

RB - Maloney

CB- Flint

CB - Williams

LB - Cunningham (Maybe Shorey)

RM - Wagstaff

CM - Pack

CM - Elliott (Wynter anytime in the second half)

LM - McClaughlin (Bryan 80 ish)

ST - Baldock

ST - JET (Harewood to replace after 60-70 mins)

Forgive me if I've missed any injuries/illness news

He'll pick a team that he knows as much as possible about now and give younger/less experienced players the chance as and when they oust the players above.

Were Maloney, Cunningham, McClaughlin & Harewood at Forest with Cotterill?

I guess you are picking the team for his first league game as for FA cup on Sunday Forest won't want McLaughlin cup tied?

I think Cunningham and Harewood were with him at Forest, not sure about others.

I guess you are picking the team for his first league game as for FA cup on Sunday Forest won't want McLaughlin cup tied?

I think Cunningham and Harewood were with him at Forest, not sure about others.

Ah yes knew there was something up! He came on in the league cup v Southampton; they may not be too precious about having him cup tied - Don't think Bryan will play; would like to see him play (that wasn't my team, just what I though SC would do)

Cotterill was a fairly good striker, maybe he will pass some knowledge onto our lot, by this I mean I've read stats, anyone see him play?

He used to use the same gym as me in Cheltenham - the CTFC squad would train in the afternoons.

Very competitive - always trying to out lift his players on the weights and huffing and puffing like he was having a coronary.

I always thought he was one of the coaches or the kit man to be honest - he acted like a right dick.

Then I found out he was the manager...

I question wether JET will fit in with SC's disciplinarian attitude? Hear me out.

JET seems to be at his best in the floating role already mentioned and I'm not sure SC (or anyone else for that matter) can fit him into a more rigid formation. I am not questioning JET's ability in any way as he can be awesome with the ball but he's not great in the air for someone of his size and his work rate can be suspect at times.

A good little 'un like SB usually does well alongside a good big 'un but I'm not sure JET can play that role and wether he could affect a game up top in a rigid 4-4-2.

Maybe that's the enigma of JET that a few Managers haven't been able to solve?

For me, the team should be...

................................Parrish.................................

Moloney.........flint............Williams.....Cunningham

...Wagstaff.........wynter........Reid...........Bryan.......

.................................jet(AM)..................................

.........................baldock.........................................

Keep width, jet as a floating man in attacking midfield. Baldock making runs up top from through balls from bobby etc wynter to come back in and prove why we have needed him as a box to box well composed passer of the ball. Bobby needs no explanation and I want to see Bryan kick on in left midfield. Got a good cross, we need to start using it.

Pretty much spot on with what I would do mate.

I would be tempted to leave out Baldock though and replace him with Taylor. Think they will probably be a physical outfit plus I don't think JET & Baldock works.

Harewood to start with Baldock.

Bryan and Wagstaff on the flanks

Pack and Elliot in the centre

Maloney flint Williams and Cunningham at the back

Parish in goal

JET on the fast train out of town to pay for the guys he wants in!

I think he might play JET in a forward midfield role behind a front two, with Marv further back. Wouldn't be surprised to see FF back in either. He won't have followed our whole season, but he may have reviewed the last couple of games.

I remember the match thread on here for SOD's first game in charge, where a number of people started getting upset that he'd picked a very similar side to the one that Del had picked in his last game. I think some genuinely expected that any new manager would be able to magic up a brand new squad when he arrived.

I fully expect Cotterill's first game in charge to be the same, probably the same people moaning too.

I'd play 4-4-2 with jet on the right but encourage him to cut in and have a shot. Taylor and Baldock upfront which I think Baldock will benefit from greatly. Wynter and Reid in the middle. Bryan on the left. Attacking I know but it's a game we really should be winning. Would like to see this team played at home.

I remember the match thread on here for SOD's first game in charge, where a number of people started getting upset that he'd picked a very similar side to the one that Del had picked in his last game. I think some genuinely expected that any new manager would be able to magic up a brand new squad when he arrived.

I fully expect Cotterill's first game in charge to be the same, probably the same people moaning too.

Not quite accurate

SOD immediately dropped Reid and Burns despite their performance v Leicester, and Bryan didn't figure at all 

all three were told that they figured in the future, but that he (SOD) had a job to do which meant he would be leaning on experience. (that really worked by the way !!!)

so interesting to see what SC does,

hopefully he sticks with Reid and Bryan, not sure Bobby is fully fit for Sunday though

Not quite accurate

SOD immediately dropped Reid and Burns despite their performance v Leicester, and Bryan didn't figure at all 

all three were told that they figured in the future, but that he (SOD) had a job to do which meant he would be leaning on experience. (that really worked by the way !!!)

hopefully he sticks with Reid and Bryan, not sure Bobby is fully fit for Sunday though

It would indeed be ironic, if "football dinosaur" Steve Cotterill keeps faith with the young players (who've been a breath of fresh air) in this season's relegation battle, but "long-term planner" Sean O'Driscoll didn't think they were up to it in last season.

We shall see....

Not quite accurate

That almost sounds like he said he had a short term plan. That can't be right surely? Short term thinking is only for Wurzel type managers, isn't it?

That almost sounds like he said he had a short term plan. That can't be right surely? Short term thinking is only for Wurzel type managers, isn't it?

No doubt about it Glyn, i think he genuinely believed he could keep them up  (short term plan), but then fell into the trap of sticking with players that got them where they were to begin with.

of course the rest is history, and actually he did return to all three players before the season ended, but by then our fate was sealed :(

What happened to that poor 16 year lad (forgot his name) who started at Wycombe got subbed at half time then never to be seen again?! Bet that did his confidence a world of good...

Joe Morrell, he's on the fringes I think been doing pretty well for the u21 and the youth

Archived