IGNORED

Book Club

BRISTOL86

Anyone here read (not can you, do you) ;)

Personally, I'm a big fan of Stephen King, although not my usual genre. I was very excited to see he has a sequel to "The Shining" out, entitled "Doctor Sleep". The Shining is one of my favourite books of all time, so looking forward to checking out the sequel.

Funny, I was thinking of starting a similar thread.

I'd like to recommend the Mangel series of novels by Charlie Williams*.

Deadfolk, Fags & Lager, King of the Road, One Dead Hen and Made of Stone all chronicle the adventures (and misadventures) of pub doorman and self-professed "hard-man" Royston Blake in a small town somewhere in the West Country.

All written in perfect dialect, they sort of read like a Wurzel Trainspotting only with crap lager instead of hard drugs fuelling the protagonists.

Anyone who has ever lived in a small town, or been refused entry somewhere by a "strong in the arm/thick in the 'ead" bouncer will recognise some of the situations and dialogue here.

They are very funny and real page-turners. You can start anywhere in the series, but Deadfolk is as good a place to start as any.

* Not the 70s comedian.

I'm currently attempting to acquaint myself with some 20th Century classics. Currently reading 'East Of Eden' by John Steinbeck, recently finished 'Love In The Time Of Cholera' by Gabriel Garcia Marquez and have also recently read 'Homage To Catalonia' by George Orwell (1984 is also fantastic). Would recommend them all. Have 'To Kill A Mockingbird' lined up next

I'd also recommend the Coca Trilogy by Louis De Bernieres; really well written, occasionally violent magical-realism- if that's your thing

PS Robboreds suggestion sounds interesting, may check that out

I'm currently attempting to acquaint myself with some 20th Century classics. Currently reading 'East Of Eden' by John Steinbeck, recently finished 'Love In The Time Of Cholera' by Gabriel Garcia Marquez and have also recently read 'Homage To Catalonia' by George Orwell (1984 is also fantastic). Would recommend them all. Have 'To Kill A Mockingbird' lined up next

I'd also recommend the Coca Trilogy by Louis De Bernieres; really well written, occasionally violent magical-realism- if that's your thing

Have you read 100 Years Of Solitude, CD? That's a great 'taking on holiday' book.

PS: It's Red-Robbo, gawd knows what Robbored would recommend!

Fictionwise most things by Graham Greene are good. Recently read The Trial and Crime & Punishment plus East of Eden all excellent.

Looking forward to the new Rebus which has just come out I think.

Ellroy amazing, LA Confidential is one of the best books I've ever read but you need to concentrate.

Have you read 100 Years Of Solitude, CD? That's a great 'taking on holiday' book.

Sorry chief, it's been a long day. Still, an unacceptable mistake on my part

I have read 100 Years Of Solitude several years ago, also a tremendous read

To Kill A Mockingbird is a fantastic book and I think the only book Harper Lee ever wrote.All Quiet On The Western Front is a great book giving a different perspective of the war through a German conscripts eyes.If you fancy a good football book and are against modern football,try Stanley Matthews book.Think it is called The Way We Were.Also worth a go are Spike Milligans wartime memoirs.About eight books in the series.Very bittersweet.

Fictionwise most things by Graham Greene are good. Recently read The Trial and Crime & Punishment plus East of Eden all excellent.

Looking forward to the new Rebus which has just come out I think.

Ellroy amazing, LA Confidential is one of the best books I've ever read but you need to concentrate.

I'm an Elroy fan and The Black Dahlia and American Tabloid are fabulous: The later is a great guide to the real 'dark continent''s hidden history.

His recent works like the Cold Six Thousand are less successful in my view though. It's where he takes the staccato style to almost self-parody.

It makes. Everything. Very hard. To read.

I'm guessing ''the sage'' would either go for something like this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Confucius-Heart-Ancient-Wisdom-Todays/dp/0330513753/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1386264966&sr=1-3&keywords=confucius

or maybe even this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pig-Cooking-Passion-Johnnie-Mountain/dp/1848990367/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1386265085&sr=1-1&keywords=cooking+with+pork

I'm an Elroy fan and The Black Dahlia and American Tabloid are fabulous: The later is a great guide to the real 'dark continent''s hidden history.

His recent works like the Cold Six Thousand are less successful in my view though. It's where he takes the staccato style to almost self-parody.

It makes. Everything. Very hard. To read.

Not sure if I've read that one, although getting to the age where it's difficult to remember. His last one, Blood's a Rover, was a definitie struggle.

If you haven't, go buy The Bachman Book Series.

It's Stephen kings 'early' stuff published under a pseudonym.

The Long Walk is an excellent read within the series. The guy who directed Shawshank Redemption and Green Mile has movie rights for it. Frank Darabont is the guy and currently looking to finish The Walking Dead first.

Also, another great book is A Canticle for Leibowitz. A sequel book was 3/4 completed by the same who had written the first, but was very old and had assistance to finish the book.

I love East of Eden, one of my fave books...going to read To Kill a Mokingbird soon too

• Admin

Best book I've read for a long time is Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts.

It's unclear how much is true and how much is embellished, it's the story of an Australian who escapes from Jail and ends up in India, joining the criminal underworld of Mumbai. Having travelled to India several times, I could relate to the descriptions of the slums and the friendliness of most of the people, but it is a good read even without that experience.

Anyone here read (not can you, do you) ;)

Personally, I'm a big fan of Stephen King, although not my usual genre. I was very excited to see he has a sequel to "The Shining" out, entitled "Doctor Sleep". The Shining is one of my favourite books of all time, so looking forward to checking out the sequel.

If you haven't already, I recommend reading King's Darktower series. 

Also recently enjoyed Joseph Heller's Catch 22.

Dumas' "The Count of Monte Cristo" is excellent too. 

Archived