IGNORED

Best All In One Pc Security Suite

screech

Anyone shed some light on the safest security suite out there. 

I want it keep me safe online, search my pc thoroughly for virus etc. 

Cost is not important, I'd rather pay more if it is deserving of it, I do know some of the free programs are just as good in some cases too. I'm looking for the best overall package from one suite preferably, although I am willing to use multiples if I have to.

Yeh NOD is a good shout. Run it myself, doesn't use a lot of resources either.

I can also recommend, Spy Bot and Malware Bytes, they will run quite happily next to it.

Also worth a mention is Ad Block running on Firefox along with No Script. Clears the crap off your webpages before they even load up.

In light of the recent 'Cryptolock' malware which tries or gets you to follow a link to an infected website or more often sends you an email with a zip attachment

such as:-

your bank card has been stopped or parcel delivery could not be made or your company has been reported to company house or  here is you invoice for .....

I could not believe it when one of the wives of a director of the  company I work for actually clicked on one of the attachments yesterday and hey presto, all the office/word documents and many other files got encrypted on her computer!

Then comes the demands for 300 Euros to get the unlock key......and the time limit to send the money to get the key to unlock your files starts ticking.

This was the real deal it is a really nasty bit of malware and will really **** you over if you get infected........

I have had to wipe the hard drive and reinstall all of the software + Windows........ obviously everyone backs up their important data don't they...... DO THEY BOLLOCKS!

We lost all the data..... we were not going to pay up............. but all the reinstalling takes a hell of a lot of time if you have to do it from scratch.

My extra layer of protection recommendations are back up all you data.

Plus go to    http://www.foolishit.com/vb6-projects/cryptoprevent/

scroll to the end of the page that the link brings up and download the 'CryptoPrevent' program install it and run the settings to help protect your computer.

It is available as a free download, which you have to update manually or you can purchase it for the automatic update version.

If like me you are a cheapskate remember to check for updates regularly!

It is up to you if you trust me but I will say I have loaded it on each and every computer at my works now......... people are stupid at times..... and that includes me.

The program sets various permissions, but it has not interfered with any of the day to day work on any of the computers.

I do not have any connection with the website or software........ install at your own risk, but it may well save you a lot of heartache.

This is not an all in one security suite but it is an extra layer of protection and it should be noted that in the case of the computer at work  IT HAD FULL ANTI-VIRUS sofftware installed.

Presuming the OP is using Windows.

I've used a whole bunch Internet Security Suites. I've not connection with the company but I currently use Kaspersky Internet Security on my windows boxes, currently version 2013.

I've had issues with McAfee.

Avast and AVG are pretty good and even the inbuilt and free Microsoft Security Essentials gets some good reviews.

AV- Test Organisation is touted as providing independent reviews.

http://www.av-test.org/en/tests/test-reports/ 

AVG was good but the latest versions are a bit spammy. They keep whinging at you that you haven't gone and bought their PC Tuneup application, which is pretty pointless.

I've done the tour through Avast, AVG, Bitdefender, Kaspersky and Comodo over the years. There's little to choose between them nowadays, I'd recommend Bitdefender and echo staying away from Norton. Webroot is supposed to be good too.

On my Windows 8.1 machine I'm back to using Windows Defender (note that before Windows 8 it's not an anti-virus, just anti-malware). It doesn't pester me and is one less thing to think about.

I could not believe it when one of the wives of a director of the company I work for actually clicked on one of the attachments yesterday and hey presto, all the office/word documents and many other files got encrypted on her computer!

How many wives does the director have?

Archived