IGNORED

Emergency Loans

djb6162

http://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/article/20131205-flloans-1218054.aspx

i am really pleased that this looks likely to continue next season.

FIFA had previously threatened to end this arrangement.

For clubs on small budgets and or small squads it gives them half a chance of competing and in my opinion freshens things up and increases competition for places.

More importantly and additionally it allows those with bigger squads to get some competitive game time for their up and coming youngsters at other clubs if they are on the fringes at their registered clubs.

This is also vital as the development leagues whilst improving are no substitute for league football.

i fail to see how any of those things arent possible to do during the transfer windows

the notion of calling it an "emergency" loan is laughable. if all your senior keepers go down with a bug, then ok, but you may as well close all the academies outside the PL if you're going to allow clubs like us to constantly loan in journeymen to block the progress of their own players

http://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/article/20131205-flloans-1218054.aspx

i am really pleased that this looks likely to continue next season.

FIFA had previously threatened to end this arrangement.

For clubs on small budgets and or small squads it gives them half a chance of competing and in my opinion freshens things up and increases competition for places.

More importantly and additionally it allows those with bigger squads to get some competitive game time for their up and coming youngsters at other clubs if they are on the fringes at their registered clubs.

This is also vital as the development leagues whilst improving are no substitute for league football.

Was talking about this yesterday and I prefer to take the other view. If the loan system is scrapped it would mean clubs would have to play their own reserves and/or youngsters in the event of an injury.

I'd much rather we were giving game time to the likes of Wes and Joe Morrell than loaning in some journeyman.

i fail to see how any of those things arent possible to do during the transfer windows

the notion of calling it an "emergency" loan is laughable. if all your senior keepers go down with a bug, then ok, but you may as well close all the academies outside the PL if you're going to allow clubs like us to constantly loan in journeymen to block the progress of their own players

i don't disagree with those points, but surely under the first scenario as you say, that's what the system is designed for EG "emergency", under your second scenario that is about the culture and management of the club in question.

But i wouldn't penalise all clubs and all fringe players just because some managers abuse the system.

I also agree that we have some loan players on the bench under SOD who are preventing younger players making progress, but surely that's because SOD believed McLaughlin for example is a better option CURRENTLY than wes Burns or Osbourne better than Brundle.etc.

That has no impact on the academy at all, i cant think of one player in the u18s for example  would be on the bench if the emergency loans were not present.

I belive this is more about fringe players and up and coming post academy players.. like Wynter Brundle Burns etc, all of whom would be penalised if they were prevented from getting loan moves.

Also i do believe Bryan and Reid came back better players as a result of the system last year.

Was talking about this yesterday and I prefer to take the other view. If the loan system is scrapped it would mean clubs would have to play their own reserves and/or youngsters in the event of an injury.

I'd much rather we were giving game time to the likes of Wes and Joe Morrell than loaning in some journeyman.

and the selfish side of me wants to agree, but in reality Glyn it never happens because football is an emotional business with fans and boardroom clambering for instant results and success.

I am not in favour of journeymen and i agree this is the worst form of abuse of the system, but as i said above, it would penalise the very players we are looking to help if we got rid of it completely.

Another consideration is that without the loan system would Bobby and Joe potentially have pushed for transfers to a get higher standard of football last year.

possibly not... but lets not put them in that position. lets give them an alternative

i think neither would have been as prepared for the rigours of league football without that opportunity at Oldham and Plymouth, and i think we risk agents getting trigger happy with youngsters if they see no alternative but to sit it out in the reserves.

its about the correct decisions being taken by the management, SOD always said that he wouldn't bring players in who couldn't offer more than he already had, and that is vital to an up and coming young player.

Nothing demoralises a player worse than seeing a player take his place simply because the manager has an past affinity with that player from past experience.

In practice he didnt always practice that imo.

If it's an 'emergency' then it should be that you have no other players fit, available or capable of playing the position in question? But why then can these 'emergencies' only happen in certain months, eg not from now until January, or after the 3rd week of March? Real emergencies don't happen to time scales.

Is it to stop teams for example who make a late dash into the playoffs being able to strengthen , ie they might be able to 'borrow' from teams who's season is as good as finished? I think there is a limit on how many players you can have on loan at any one time, and also restrictions that you can only play 3(?) from any club. What if there was a limit on the amount of loans you can have within a season, say 10. Once you used all your loan cards it's tough?

It might be demoralising to see other players who are known to the manager brought in, but that also works more than frequently the other way round. Also if it's a young player they often say they have learnt a lot by having the older pro there.

the notion of calling it an "emergency" loan is laughable ...

... that's what the system is designed for EG "emergency" ...

... i agree this is the worst form of abuse of the system ...

The system was designed to get round FIFA regulations that, collectively, the Football League clubs decided they did not like.  Neither the League nor its clubs have ever pretended that it is only meant for "emergencies".

It does the job it was designed for.  It's just a sensible, pragmatic way of frustrating the intentions of a group of international bureaucrats who have mainly the richest clubs' interests at heart.

And if it winds up FIFA, then that's another advantage :yes:

Archived