IGNORED

Has Anyone Ever Played On Our Pitch ?

Eco

Not citys but have played on Gloucesters cheltenhams and forest green but the best of all is that when I was 12 played for arsenals u12s versus Cyprus Greece holland Switzerland etc and scored a penalty best thing was behind the first tier there is a banner with all the trophies and the year and which they won and left a big gap after 2005

Oh go on, do tell more

Ha, it doesn't get much more exciting sadly.

Playing for the forum side against Rovers.

AG was beautiful, lovely pitch to play on and it was massive. The Mem was the most horrific surface I've ever had the 'pleasure' of playing on.

Both penalties were won after mazy, Messi like runs (probably isn't true).

The one thing I always remember was playing in front of nearly 600 in the game at Rovers and playing on that side in the first half the noise was deafening! No idea how players can cope with 10 or 100x that.

Oh, and played with Jon Lansdown, who was a fantastic guy.

Ha, it doesn't get much more exciting sadly.

Playing for the forum side against Rovers.

AG was beautiful, lovely pitch to play on and it was massive. The Mem was the most horrific surface I've ever had the 'pleasure' of playing on.

Both penalties were won after mazy, Messi like runs (probably isn't true).

The one thing I always remember was playing in front of nearly 600 in the game at Rovers and playing on that side in the first half the noise was deafening! No idea how players can cope with 10 or 100x that.

Oh, and played with Jon Lansdown, who was a fantastic guy.

Yeah, always thought it must be pretty daunting, although hasn't been too noisy at AG lately apart from the booing

• Admin

i find that somewhat hard to believe

assuming a height of 180cm, standing on the touchline, with a usual pitch width, there'd have to be a difference of almost 2m between the side and the middle for you to not be able to see the other side. anything less than your height, and you'd be able to see it, unless the camber tapered off massively in the last few metres

Its true, as confirmed by Big Tone, this was a few years back though.

i find that somewhat hard to believe

assuming a height of 180cm, standing on the touchline, with a usual pitch width, there'd have to be a difference of almost 2m between the side and the middle for you to not be able to see the other side. anything less than your height, and you'd be able to see it, unless the camber tapered off massively in the last few metres

If it wasn't for the fact that I'd probably get banned for life then I'm going to stand on the touch line next home game. Appreciate that there's quite a camber to our pitch but even if it was worse than now I find it hard to believe that you couldn't see the opposite touchline. Anyway we won't be needing to look at the pitch soon as the ball will be whipping around level with the roof of the dolman.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=seu1NMnLGt0

:whistle:

Agreed with above, Jon Lansdown was a proper good bloke and his old man reffed a few games for us as well, can't remember his name though!! Those were the days mind, stuff dreams were made of those 4 years.

Congrats on having the only youtube vid I've seen with more dislikes than likes !

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=seu1NMnLGt0

:whistle:

Agreed with above, Jon Lansdown was a proper good bloke and his old man reffed a few games for us as well, can't remember his name though!! Those were the days mind, stuff dreams were made of those 4 years.

Steve L managed us the year I played, too. Jon was a very good midfield player.

I was a very bad midfield player. I did actually score against the Rovers side, but not at AG or the Mem.

I don't think in your dream counts!  :fear:

Ha! No. It was in a rematch arranged as a benefit for one of our players who was injured in the main game. It was a great finish over the keeper from 25 yards out that could only have been better if I'd actually meant to strike the ball in that way.

I've played at Wembley in the FA Cup. FACT!!

It was at Wembley FC in the first qualifying round, but you could see the twin towers from the ground!

My Dad helped run a colleges tournament at Ashton Gate once.  I was desperate to play on the pitch but I was a couple of years older than college age and shouldn't really have been involved.  Dad was nervous about letting me join in and wouldn't bring me on until the last few minutes.  Eventually he did and I scored.....truth is it was only half pitch and the goals weren't full size, but I still claim it!

I've never played there. An away game versus Wells City in the Somerset Cup was the limit of my footballing days against the "big boys". :facepalm: 

I have trailed around all of AG in the early-mid 70s after my dad, and I can recall the pitch being like a ploughed field. Horrendous. The transformation in recent years has been really astounding and I can only take my imaginary hat off to the ground staff for transforming what was one of the worst pitches in the country to one of the best.

Incidentally, the 70s pitch reflected the rest of the club's facilities back then. Nowadays you wouldn't put up with them in the worst comprehensive school.

wow

played there in 1984 for Ashton vale boys club in the u16 cup final against Manor farm boys club

we won 5-2 I think

then I coached Ashton vale boys club under 16s in a 4-0 win against brislington in the same cup in 1990ish

must be a first, to have played and coached on the famous ground!

happy days

ps

tommy doc used to play for me as well

I played on Ashton gate in1992. It was before the Leicester game in front of about 12000 on a sunny day. I remember thinking that the pitch was like a bowling green and still to this day can't believe how professional footballers can't pass on it! Had a great attacking team with Jacki, Cole and Rosenior( City that is!) that day. City won 2-1 on the day.

Archived