IGNORED

Un Balanced Squad

Major Isewater

Am I not right in saying that Keith Burt was responsible for signings. In which case Cotterells criticism, is aimed more a Burt than Sod. Unfortunately I agree with the consensus on here that the 'Squad is unbalanced' line is rolled out by managers past and present to mean they either don't rate the current squad or its just an excuse to blame the old boss same as the new boss! I really will despair if we start signing journeymen. Past they're Dell by date players. Cos it will prove we've learnt nothing!

Past they're Dell by date - too old for Southampton?

Am I not right in saying that Keith Burt was responsible for signings. In which case Cotterells criticism, is aimed more a Burt than Sod. Unfortunately I agree with the consensus on here that the 'Squad is unbalanced' line is rolled out by managers past and present to mean they either don't rate the current squad or its just an excuse to blame the old boss same as the new boss! I really will despair if we start signing journeymen. Past they're Dell by date players. Cos it will prove we've learnt nothing!

Do you honestly believe that SOD had no say whatsoever in any of the signings?, his job as I understand it was to source and collate players and then show the one's available when SOD asked for them, nothing more nothing less, but if as you suggest that SOD had no input on signings then no wonder he lost his job.

Journeymen I offer you Harewood, Shorey, possibly O'connor and probably Carey.

so in other words the saviour SOD failed in bringing in the right players during a transfer window where he signed 14 new faces

No, SOD also said it would take several transfer windows to get it right (or rather two or three years).

The point is not whether SOD is a saviour, or whether SC is a saviour. The point is that at some point we have to give someone the time and the stability to sort it out, and changing managers every 10 months is just not doing that.

Do you honestly believe that SOD had no say whatsoever in any of the signings?, his job as I understand it was to source and collate players and then show the one's available when SOD asked for them, nothing more nothing less, but if as you suggest that SOD had no input on signings then no wonder he lost his job.

Journeymen I offer you Harewood, Shorey, possibly O'connor and probably Carey.

I'm sure no signings were made without Sod agreeing, but I think Burts relationship was to identify all New signings. Leaving Sod to coach, as that's what he preferred to do. And the journey men you list are all short term contracts, I will have no gripe if SC makes similar signings. It's long contracts for players in they're twilight years that I refer to.

I'm sure no signings were made without Sod agreeing, but I think Burts relationship was to identify all New signings. Leaving Sod to coach, as that's what he preferred to do. And the journey men you list are all short term contracts, I will have no gripe if SC makes similar signings. It's long contracts for players in they're twilight years that I refer to.

+1.

Let's be saved from relegation first and judge later I say.

Where do i start ?

It's a ready made excuse for underachievement.

The worry is that all the work that was done before on players is going to be scrapped .We start again ,again .

That SC's hinting that we need to bring in old heads.( to me that stinks of the journeymen of the past) i thought the grand plan was not to go down this route again,paying big wages for average players who block the youngsters.

Threatens that the academy players are not good enough .These lads are once again going to be cast aside.

I hope i'm wrong but it sounds very much like the golden future is being blown out the window and that we are to return to our old disastrous ways.

Worried.

Just relax and enjoy the season! :D

No, SOD also said it would take several transfer windows to get it right (or rather two or three years).

The point is not whether SOD is a saviour, or whether SC is a saviour. The point is that at some point we have to give someone the time and the stability to sort it out, and changing managers every 10 months is just not doing that.

I thank you ,head,nail ,hammered .

How about another relegation every 12 months.

How about another relegation every 12 months.

Nothing is sure, perhaps we'd have gone down with SOD perhaps we'll go down with SC .

Who knows ? But you think the way forward is to change "manager" every time there is bad run of results, i don't.

We were told that was no longer the policy and we were looking for stability.My opinion is that the club has thrown the baby out with the bathwater .

Nothing is sure, perhaps we'd have gone down with SOD perhaps we'll go down with SC .

Who knows ? But you think the way forward is to change "manager" every time there is bad run of results, i don't.

We were told that was no longer the policy and we were looking for stability.My opinion is that the club has thrown the baby out with the bathwater .

OK let me try to debunk this bit by bit, Firstly instead of going for wins last season in an attempt to try and stave off relegation, why did SOD decide to change the whole system of playing with bunch of players most of whom he knew were leaving us anyway?.

• Admin

SNIP

That SC's hinting that we need to bring in old heads.( to me that stinks of the journeymen of the past) i thought the grand plan was not to go down this route again,paying big wages for average players who block the youngsters.

Threatens that the academy players are not good enough .These lads are once again going to be cast aside.

I hope i'm wrong but it sounds very much like the golden future is being blown out the window and that we are to return to our old disastrous ways.

Worried.

If "the academy players are not good enough" then its right they shouldn't progress through, thats not the Managers immediate problem, staying up by any means is. Once that is achieved (hopefully) he can then start to address the long term and if improving the ratio of academy players making it as first team regulars is something he can achieve, then that will be great, if not and it means not utilising academy players to challenge at the right end of the table, so be it.

so in other words the saviour SOD failed in bringing in the right players during a transfer window where he signed 14 new faces

Mostly on 1 or 2 year deals cos 70% of our budget is still being spent on the likes of Killkenny, Fonts, Pearson and Marv. SOD was pugging holes for this season with young players, then we can utilse our spending power in July when all 4 mentioned players are Out of contact (I think)

Iam critical of the board ,i think they've been weak and my feeling is SOD went ,not because of results ,but a clash of personalities 

Let's make no bones about it, his results were truly appalling, both in terms of points accrued and the dreadful football we supporters ( and the board for that matter) had to endure most of the time.

If, on top of this, he was an extremely difficult personality for the board to get along with, then all the more reason to get rid.

The 'blue print' in still in place only the manager has changed.

IMO SOD was sacked for quite a few reasons, certainly a clash with the board (I suspect they were fed up with his sound bytes especially regarding the customers), his appalling record obviously but most importantly he lost sight of trying to win games, he was setting up teams to try to negate opposing teams instead of trying to set up teams up according to their abilities and in a formation that they were comfortable with, the one upfront was not and was never going to work with the squad that he assembled, the straw that broke the camels back was Sheff Utd, the set up for that game was unforgivable.

However the delay between Sheff Utd and Orient was an embarrassing misjudgment by the board, I suspect they believed we would be well beaten and forgot that the game is football and sometimes shocks happen.

The task is to find a system that suits this squad and stick to it and don't over complicate the game with too many instructions, this is the 1st division not the champions league.

"The 'blue print' in still in place only the manager has changed."

Time will tell.Not easy this supporting lark is it?

Archived