IGNORED

Worst Situation Since 82'

hippy273

A couple of the older (I say older, not old) fans behind me were chatting amongst each other, a few of them reckon this is a worse situation than when we suffered the relegation downfall in the 80's. That there was a 'reason' for the downfall back then, i certainly couldn't argue as i wasn't even around back then! They then continued to blame the board for our situation and that the club has not been run properly behind the scenes, Millen shouldn't have been brought in as manager whilst we were in the Championship we could have got someone better etc. I can't see this as more of the echoes of financial ruin but more likely that if we do go down, Lansdown could well walk away and we can all kick ourselves for not giving SOD more time :P

City till the end.

That just means someone presses the reset button and a new BCFC will be born. Seriously though, not a happy time at the moment - as i was watching today, i actually felt like walking away from it all. The performance was woeful today end of.  The only positives were Reid and Burns - the rest....well if it was possible to tear up contracts i dont think i'd actually be that bothered.

A couple of the older (I say older, not old) fans behind me were chatting amongst each other, a few of them reckon this is a worse situation than when we suffered the relegation downfall in the 80's. That there was a 'reason' for the downfall back then, i certainly couldn't argue as i wasn't even around back then! They then continued to blame the board for our situation and that the club has not been run properly behind the scenes, Millen shouldn't have been brought in as manager whilst we were in the Championship we could have got someone better etc. I can't see this as more of the echoes of financial ruin but more likely that if we do go down, Lansdown could well walk away and we can all kick ourselves for not giving SOD more time :P

City till the end.

Agree with every word.

Agree with every word.

I think people will FINALLY realise a manager needs time to be able to build a squad,

We had SOD who had his own ethos and it was always going to take a lot of time for things to change, this season was always going to be about staying up,

Once sacking SOD Rather than appointing a manager with the same principles they have decided to go with a manager with completely different ones so the players have to learn new systems/formations again.

The board are basically clueless ****

A big difference with the 80s team that was in division 3 ( now league 1) and sliding into division 4 was that they had some FIGHT . A few young players were thrown into the team but they played as though their lives depended upon the result. I can't say that about many of the current team

Of course another difference was money or lack of it. In the 80s there was nobody like Steve Lansdown in the background. There was a big risk that the club could just go out of business. With the current situation - who knows?

I think people will FINALLY realise a manager needs time to be able to build a squad,

We had SOD who had his own ethos and it was always going to take a lot of time for things to change, this season was always going to be about staying up,

Once sacking SOD Rather than appointing a manager with the same principles they have decided to go with a manager with completely different ones so the players have to learn new systems/formations again.

We do have a Director of Football do we not! Thus I guess his is going to be the major voice when it comes to playing matters, so it would follow (as he has not resigned) that his was the dominant voice in firing SOD....

As for the worst since 82....Yes I think that is right! 31 years to end up back here it is soul destroying! The problem seems as though it was the opposite of last time...82 we had no money and couldn't stop the relegations, now we have a major shareholder who has pots of the stuff, yet we cant buy a win!! Some Irony!

Its probably going to get worse before it gets better and until we sign a LEADER on the field we will continue to suffer! We simply dont seem to be able to sign (almost) anyone who is any good...Wierd how players come here with reputations and we manage to turn them into crap footballers, alcoholics and Porsche owners!

Luckily I am overseas at the moment but was at both the Sheff Utd (where we were dire...Seemingly only able to pass sideways) and LOrient games where we looked decent enough. However listening today was kind of a low point as I have never felt as low about our club/team since those dreadful days of the early 80's...But at least back then we had boys we could support despite sinking to the bottom of the league, I'm not sure that we have 11 players that will give it all for the club as they did then and that really hurts!

Maybe SC can turn this around but lets face it we are weak in muscle and mental strength right across the team...We have a centre back who despit costing 325k is awful a midfield that barely exists a dwarf striker who misses far to many chances and we all cling to the one bright spark that is JET...

I hope its upward and onward from here, but my gut tells me not yet!

My thoughts too, back then we were rock bottom, but we had a plan, that was to play the kids, and stick with a Manager, you know give him a chance to change things, and the results were a brand of football that was as exciting as I can remember.

Very good post and some well made points, send it to JL. or better still Dad.

Always listen to your elders I've been many times told, this shows they speak sense!

City till the end.

There is still a reason now. The board don't know how to select a manager to halt the slide. The last bloke lead us to a gutless and non commited relegation and was allowed to build a squad full of kids who think the word tackle is only associated with fishing.

I hope the new man can halt our slide and I wish him all the luck in the world.

Er, this is football with relegations and promotions, we are in a relegation zone, we arent yet relegated mathematically. Give the new guy a chance, if it doesnt work, it doesnt work, at least we've tried. Which is more than can be said before sleep walking from the Champs into relegation position in this league.

It's not the end of the end or the beginning of the end it's the beginning of the beginning

:)

Actually, final whistle of new managers first home game - I'd say it was the end of the beginning.

Can't comment too much on 82 as I was only 5, but from what I've read and been told by my uncle the biggest difference between then and now is having players that have pride in the club and a desire to fight for it. We don't have any now. In my opinion, this ultimately comes down to off-field leadership within the club - managers and board. We've lacked passion since GJ and SL we're calling the shots.

It's got to be on a par with the autumn of 2005 as the joint worst since 1982. Thankfully we had a miracle worker in Gary Johnson in 2005. I couldn't help thinking today that it'll take a miracle to keep us up this time.

This is Lansdowns mess, he will have to start writing some cheques in January if we're going to stay up. For me, two new central midfielders and possibly a wide man. I don't have confidence in any of our keepers either. I've seen just about as much as I want to of Cunningham and Elliott.

A damn good kick up the backside wouldn't go amiss either, for most of today we were second to everything. 

This is the bit that really puzzles me.

I kept reading on here, that if SOD gets sacked we will employ a manager who has a very similar philosophy.

I maybe proved wrong, but to me it's two managers with totally different ways of playing the game.

As for the worst since 82....Yes I think that is right! 31 years to end up back here it is soul destroying! The problem seems as though it was the opposite of last time...82 we had no money and couldn't stop the relegations, now we have a major shareholder who has pots of the stuff, yet we cant buy a win!! Some Irony!

NOT REALLY; WE ARE STILL UNABLE TO STOP THE RELEGATIONS.

1982 was not a great time to be a supporter of this team.  Its the year I started going full time.  Never knowing if we had a team to support the following week, poor results, rubbish players, empty Aston gate, doom and gloom all over Aston gate.  It is not as bad as it was then.  Its just reset back to pre Gary Johnson. 

1982 was not a great time to be a supporter of this team. Its the year I started going full time. Never knowing if we had a team to support the following week, poor results, rubbish players, empty Aston gate, doom and gloom all over Aston gate. It is not as bad as it was then. Its just reset back to pre Gary Johnson.

Don't think so.

Since 82 we had great times with Terry Copper visits to Wembley. Promotion with Jordan . Victory at Anfield . Andy Cole and Jackie..

Promotion with John Ward . Great football with Danny Wilson . Red and White nights. Visit to the Millenium stadium. Fantastic times under Gary Johnson . I've been going since 76 apart from 82 this is the worst time . And in the last 30 years at least we own our ground.

It's a little more than a reset! We are looking into the abyss. This could be worst than 82 I fear for the future of this club . I thought months ago all City fans woke up and smelt the coffe have you got a sense of smell.

After 82 there was always hope what is painful now is that the hope is gone. It's not even Christmas and I don't think I'm alone in thinking that we are odds on to gone to Div 4 . This is beyond my worst nightmare I thought I would never see City again play in that Div now I know for sure that I will never live long enough to see them play in the top flight again. Sad

Don't think so.

Since 82 we had great times with Terry Copper visits to Wembley. Promotion with Jordan . Victory at Anfield . Andy Cole and Jackie..

Promotion with John Ward . Great football with Danny Wilson . Red and White nights. Visit to the Millenium stadium. Fantastic times under Gary Johnson . I've been going since 76 apart from 82 this is the worst time . And in the last 30 years at least we own our ground.

It's a little more than a reset! We are looking into the abyss. This could be worst than 82 I fear for the future of this club . I thought months ago all City fans woke up and smelt the coffe have you got a sense of smell.

I think he means reset to the immediate period before GJ was appointed (7-1 at Swansea etc). I'd agree, that period and now are the worst since 1982.

City till the end.

How do you give a manager more time when he has got you to 22nd in the league with 2 wins all season.And has stated he doesn't look at league tables.And there is no sign of any sustained improvement.

How do you give a manager more time when he has got you to 22nd in the league with 2 wins all season.And has stated he doesn't look at league tables.And there is no sign of any sustained improvement.

I don't know how you can say 9 points in 6 league games wasn't going in the right direction under SOD. This was never going to be an easy season and I think the board is expecting far too much in little time!

Archived