IGNORED

Sports Personality - First Direct Arena

ChippenhamRed

SPOTY's got a bit silly last few years, why they feel the need to hire out such large venues I don't know. Do they not have a telly centre in London or Salford ?

Got no problem with it. It's a flagship show, the large venue gives it a sense of occasion and a chance for plenty of the general public to be there. Really enjoy it. Just a shame they couldn't even consider coming to Bristol.

Lets be fair these arenas dont generate the same intimate atmosphere as some of Bristol's world class venues. 

Spoty would be so much better for cameras at The Thekla or perhaps The Fleece....

Suck on that London / Cardiff / Leeds / Manchester / Grimsby / Bourton-on-the-Water

Got no problem with it. It's a flagship show, the large venue gives it a sense of occasion and a chance for plenty of the general public to be there. Really enjoy it. Just a shame they couldn't even consider coming to Bristol.

Was mainly thinking of the cost of hiring mega venue in these times of austerity. Also think it loses intimacy when being broadcast from a mega venue but that's just me.

The First Direct arena in Leeds looks mighty impressive. Another reminder of Bristol's pathetic inability to deliver venues worthy of it's size.

Leeds population 464k.

Bristol 428k.

Pretty sure SPOTY won't be coming to the Colston Hall anytime soon.

Thank f**** for that!! Utterly boring shite, more like No Personality Of The Year.

I don't start threads very often, is it normal for the original point to be completely ignored?

Yeah, the word 'thread' is a bit misleading. A word that means : poster 1 makes a point/asks a question, everyone else just chats about any old crap they want, needs to be added to the English vocabulary.

Is Sue Barker still doing it? Bit of a GILF last time I checked.

So based on the responses then it's good news that Bristol has no comparable venue suitable for hosting high profile events because we don't want them anyway.

Was hoping for some considered opinions on Bristol's failings as a city. My mistake.

Well actually The Hoosiers played the Louisiana last month, PLUS the well known gayer Louie Spence is currently appearing at the Hippodrome in Cinderella. It doesn't get much bigger than that, I think you'll find

Yeah, the word 'thread' is a bit misleading. A word that means : poster 1 makes a point/asks a question, everyone else just chats about any old crap they want, needs to be added to the English vocabulary.

Is Sue Barker still doing it? Bit of a GILF last time I checked.

You mean the 'Sue False Laughter Looks Like A Jaffa' Barker, that one?

So based on the responses then it's good news that Bristol has no comparable venue suitable for hosting high profile events because we don't want them anyway.

Was hoping for some considered opinions on Bristol's failings as a city. My mistake.

How dare you insult the most cosmopolitan village in this fair land......need i say more !

Chippenham Red, I agree with you its a disgrace that Bristol does not have an arena, and it sort of ties in with all the other things that UK cities of around our size take for granted. 

Such as the lack of a decent football stadium, and the struggle that both clubs have had getting anything done historically, the lack of a decent metro/tram system and the rubbish public transport.

I'm sure it fosters a bit of a second class citizen thing amongst us, then add to that we have never had a club in the Prem.  Kids (and any Bristolians really) who like to go to concerts and would like to watch a bit of decent footie can't do that in Bristol.  You can't blame the sub-standard  football on the Council, but the lack of an arena, and the way it has been cocked up over the years is shameful.  I'm not saying I would go and watch much of the stuff on offer, I am happy to watch the likes of Crosby Stills and Nash at the Colston Hall, but those who want to watch the X-Factor tour or Coldplay must feel cheated that they live on one of the biggest cities in the UK but have to go to Cardiff, Birmingham or even Bournemouth to see a popular show

The  one thing bucking the trend is the re-development of the GCCC ground, at least we will have the pleasure of seeing the England Cricket Team in action next year. :facepalm:

Chippenham Red, I agree with you its a disgrace that Bristol does not have an arena, and it sort of ties in with all the other things that UK cities of around our size take for granted. 

Such as the lack of a decent football stadium, and the struggle that both clubs have had getting anything done historically, the lack of a decent metro/tram system and the rubbish public transport.

I'm sure it fosters a bit of a second class citizen thing amongst us, then add to that we have never had a club in the Prem.  Kids (and any Bristolians really) who like to go to concerts and would like to watch a bit of decent footie can't do that in Bristol.  You can't blame the sub-standard  football on the Council, but the lack of an arena, and the way it has been cocked up over the years is shameful.  I'm not saying I would go and watch much of the stuff on offer, I am happy to watch the likes of Crosby Stills and Nash at the Colston Hall, but those who want to watch the X-Factor tour or Coldplay must feel cheated that they live on one of the biggest cities in the UK but have to go to Cardiff, Birmingham or even Bournemouth to see a popular show

The  one thing bucking the trend is the re-development of the GCCC ground, at least we will have the pleasure of seeing the England Cricket Team in action next year. :facepalm:

I was with you untill you used the "C" word.....Mmmmmmm

Such as the lack of a decent football stadium, and the struggle that both clubs have had getting anything done historically, the lack of a decent metro/tram system and the rubbish public transport.

I'm sure it fosters a bit of a second class citizen thing amongst us, then add to that we have never had a club in the Prem. Kids (and any Bristolians really) who like to go to concerts and would like to watch a bit of decent footie can't do that in Bristol. You can't blame the sub-standard football on the Council, but the lack of an arena, and the way it has been cocked up over the years is shameful. I'm not saying I would go and watch much of the stuff on offer, I am happy to watch the likes of Crosby Stills and Nash at the Colston Hall, but those who want to watch the X-Factor tour or Coldplay must feel cheated that they live on one of the biggest cities in the UK but have to go to Cardiff, Birmingham or even Bournemouth to see a popular show

The one thing bucking the trend is the re-development of the GCCC ground, at least we will have the pleasure of seeing the England Cricket Team in action next year. :facepalm:

Thanks Dazzler. It only took 28 posts but finally someone who has actually responded to the original post!

SPOTY: Too bloated to be meaningful now.  Just a vehicle for the limited talents of Lineker, Balding and Logan...  the sports version of the Oscars... basically mutual back-slapping amongst the super-rich... a complete and utter bore these days...

BRISTOL:  A complete backwater when it comes to facilities for large sports and entertainment events.  I DO blame Bristol City Councol and their head-in-the-sand attitude to things like arena and stadia (What do we need a staium or arena for?  We've got Ashton Gate and the Colston Hall).  

Over the years Bristol City Council have been culpable for some of the most glaring faux pas in the history of the City - even the tram proposal was killed off because of bickering and back-biting within the Council.  BCC don't have much to be proud of, and certainly have done Bristolians a great injustice by their short-sightedness. Come to Bristol! If you're a developer who wants to develop trendy waterside Offices and Apartments we'll bend over backwards for you.  However, if you want to do something that benefits the people of Bristol - on yer bike!

Archived