IGNORED

The Sports Oxymoron Of The Year....

Maesknoll Red

• Admin

He did win Wimbledon to be fair, Not many Brits have done that, Especially with the pressure of the British public

Fine, so call the award "The Sports Person Who Whooped Ass Under Pressure Award". In it's present guise, it breaching the trade descriptions act and has done on other occasions in the past. Admittedly last years winner has a bit of character and personality, but this years.......??

• Admin

Were there a whole host of personal friends/witnesses lining up to try to convince the world of what a 'fun guy' he is in private and how he's so misunderstood by the public?

Was his Witch/Mother casting spells with her eyes, again?

Yes and Yes. He couldn't be there, so Mummy was on stage for the preview instead.... Geez, how old is the guy and the apron strings look as strong as ever.

Fine, so call the award "The Sports Person Who Whooped Ass Under Pressure Award". In it's present guise, it breaching the trade descriptions act and has done on other occasions in the past. Admittedly last years winner has a bit of character and personality, but this years.......??

Yes he has the personality of a brick wall, That counts you know ;) How do you have a personality in sport though? Because everyone has a personality so what makes someone stand out?

Is it an oxymoron, or a misnomer? I think Alan Shearer should answer this.

To be fair to Murray, if I had to play tennis all day, everyday, and answer questions about it, and spend 3 weeks in SW19 every year, talking about and playing tennis over and over, I think I would go nuts. And be miserable. And dull. Although 2 weeks in NYC in September can't be all bad....except you have to play tennis every day, and answer endless stupid questions about tennis...drivd you nuts, wouldn't it?

Is it an oxymoron, or a misnomer? I think Alan Shearer should answer this.

To be fair to Murray, if I had to play tennis all day, everyday, and answer questions about it, and spend 3 weeks in SW19 every year, talking about and playing tennis over and over, I think I would go nuts. And be miserable. And dull. Although 2 weeks in NYC in September can't be all bad....except you have to play tennis every day, and answer endless stupid questions about tennis...drivd you nuts, wouldn't it?

Or maybe it attracts particularly boring people?

It's the old 'Do you need to be nuts to get into boxing or do the numerous knocks to the head make boxers nuts?' question.

Or even the better documented egg, chicken and order of ejaculation dilemma.

Or maybe it attracts particularly boring people?

It's the old 'Do you need to be nuts to get into boxing or do the numerous knocks to the head make boxers nuts?' question.

Or even the better documented egg, chicken and order of ejaculation dilemma.

I don't think Alan Shearer is an authority on chicken ejaculation or boxers' nuts, iGO

That award lost all credibility as far back as 1971 when the horse faced Princess Anne won it.

...bit of a mix-up occurred that year Nocturn,  rumour has it that the wrong trophy was engraved with Ann's name by mistake so the Beeb had to go with it.

Hers was meant to be on the Horse Of The Year Award... a long time ago though & these things happen occasionally I suppose.

So taking into account some big old IF's - SOD, Murray and Shearer in for most boring bastard of 2014, anyone? Bryan Robson will be sobbing into a pint of his best bitter, no doubt.

How could I forget? I see Michael Owen is launching his own brand of personality on us via the pretence of a punditry career, so that should be fun.

The whole "Andy Murray is boring" thing is far more dull than the actual guy himself. Pretty sure there are plenty of people on here who wouldn't come across that well on the telly. Murray even acknowledged his "monotonous voice" himself last night!

Andy Murray is one of the only British sports people competing at the very top of a globally popular sport, and this year won it's biggest prize in front of a home crowd. Surely he's due more credit than criticism?

Clearly Sports Personality has always been about achievement. Nick Faldo won it for goodness sakes!

Follow Murray on twitter and you'll see he has more about him than otherwise comes across.

The whole "Andy Murray is boring" thing is far more dull than the actual guy himself. Pretty sure there are plenty of people on here who wouldn't come across that well on the telly. Murray even acknowledged his "monotonous voice" himself last night!

Andy Murray is one of the only British sports people competing at the very top of a globally popular sport, and this year won it's biggest prize in front of a home crowd. Surely he's due more credit than criticism?

Clearly Sports Personality has always been about achievement. Nick Faldo won it for goodness sakes!

Follow Murray on twitter and you'll see he has more about him than otherwise comes across.

Can't think of many sports people that would be seen in a Mock the Week audience & laugh at getting the p*ss ripped out of them by the panel, Milton Jones in particular.

Archived