IGNORED

Our Slow, Laboured Approach Play...

brady bunch

It may have been done to death already, but watching the first half yesterday the one thought that struck my mind was just how slow and laboured we have become once we gain possession (could be I have been watching too much premiership and champions leagues......)

Wagstaff summed this up when he could have pinged a ball first time into the box from the edge of the area, but needed 2 touches to bring it under control! by the time he was able to attempt a cross he was closed down. He was by no means alone.   I started to watch for this and other then the aimless punts up the park we took an absolute age to get the ball under control, took too many touches and passed often directly at our teammate, rather then in front of them to run onto...  it was schoolboy stuff TBH...

Finally and not that related Joe Bryan (a player I like and hope SC sticks with) had an absolute shocker, he looked ill and off the pace? twas there anything worng with him do we know? he could not even control the ball running in a straightline under no challesge at one stage... 

I was not going to be ar$ed to mention it, but noted that Cotterill picked up on the slow pace of our game in the player interview.

It did not help I went on to watch the highlights of Man City game followed by the Liverpool game the next day...

It did not help I went on to watch the highlights of Man City game followed by the Liverpool game the next day...

........I watched Man City and Liverpool as well. Save up the price of 2 crap games by our team of losers and you could be watching Man City or Liverpool live !!!!!!! This season the Premiership has been truely superb so far.

It's not to do with watching too much Premier League. I regularly watch a team in the Conference North zip the ball about with intelligence and precision. Granted they'd not be able to do it against better players but they do it well at their level. It's about having a team that's confident and knows each other well. It comes with time, stability, confidence and good coaching.

Saturday's game was fast-paced compared to some!

I think Cotterill wants them to play with pace, but the players aren't quite mentally with the programme.

The trouble is too few have the confidence to dribble the ball upfield. In the first half, with Waggy and young Joe having poor games, only Moloney was carrying the ball forward. Everyone else looks for a quick pass - and fails!

Only when Bob came on did we have someone who really runs at defenders.

We need to coach dribbling the ball out of our half wherever possible, then look for the men making forward runs. That also needs to be coached in!

Saturday's game was fast-paced compared to some!

I think Cotterill wants them to play with pace, but the players aren't quite mentally with the programme.

The trouble is too few have the confidence to dribble the ball upfield. In the first half, with Waggy and young Joe having poor games, only Moloney was carrying the ball forward. Everyone else looks for a quick pass - and fails!

Only when Bob came on did we have someone who really runs at defenders.

We need to coach dribbling the ball out of our half wherever possible, then look for the men making forward runs. That also needs to be coached in!

Pellegrini of Man City had to hit the ground running when he took over at Man City. He messed up against Cardiff and lost 3-2 because he was only using two attacking players and they were getting crowded out by the Cardiff defence. Now Man City attack with 5 or 6 players at pace in a pack and that format allowed them to drub Arsenal 6-3. Attacking and dribbling at pace does win games and that brought success to Gary Johnson's side early on but he seemed to have changed the style after signing Dele Adebola in getting players to lump the ball forward to him.

Archived