IGNORED

The Road To The Premier League...

rudecowboy

was just 90 mins away a few years ago as we all know. IF we get relegated to L2 how long to reach our dream goal again? Given the fact we are likely to languish in the lower leagues for a while (it's hard to bounce straight back) I reckon it could now be another 10 years away at least and probably need an influx of cash from new owners. Are we better off being sold asap?

was just 90 mins away a few years ago as we all know. IF we get relegated to L2 how long to reach our dream goal again? Given the fact we are likely to languish in the lower leagues for a while (it's hard to bounce straight back) I reckon it could now be another 10 years away at least and probably need an influx of cash from new owners. Are we better off being sold asap?

In December 1982 we were bottom of Division 4. By 1990 Joe Jordan almost got us back to the top flight - so that's 8 years with not a great deal of money spent to get us back up. The key is in recruiting the right personnel - something that's rarely happened during the Lansdown era.

In December 1982 we were bottom of Division 4. By 1990 Joe Jordan almost got us back to the top flight - so that's 8 years with not a great deal of money spent to get us back up. The key is in recruiting the right personnel - something that's rarely happened during the Lansdown era.

For example, early 1990 City v Chelsea....FA Cup........proves how good we'd become.....

Got to be honest although I always want City to win- I don't consider the Premiership the dream goal.

Without going into another rant about how much I hate modern football-  I just want to be able to enjoy watching City play.

I'd quite happily take mid-table Championship playing some good football and some good cup runs. But even that could be ten years away minimum at the moment.

Got to be honest although I always want City to win- I don't consider the Premier League the dream goal.

Without going into another rant about how much I hate modern football-  I just want to be able to enjoy watching City play.

I'd quite happily take mid-table Championship playing some good football and some good cup runs. But even that could be ten years away minimum at the moment.

.....the main problem during our last spell in the Championship was in the fact that we didn't get any decent cup runs. I'm pretty sure we were knocked out in the 3rd round (the starting round for a Championship club) in every Championship season. That represented a lot of lost revenue.

Got to be honest although I always want City to win- I don't consider the Premier League the dream goal.

I agree, cider-manc. Getting back to the Championship is well within our capability, as a club. Even gassholes will recognise this. No delusion there. But we have to find a way of being a competitive club at that level, able to stay there longer than our last three visits there, able to withstand managerial changes without spiralling downwards. All of this is very do-able, even allowing for our current woes. And I think a revamped AG can help with this. It might not be enough to get us to the Prem, but I don't see that as any sort of goal right now really. Let's work at getting back to the Championship and wait til we're all blase about being there after a few years stuck in midtable between Blackburn and Wolves.

First things first though: stop the rot!

To me, it seemed little point having Championship status when we were chucking the advantage of starting in round 3 of the FA Cup by continually getting knocked out of the Cup at that stage. A good Cup run does wonders for the morale of club and supporters alike.

Couldnt agree more. But the financial gains would have been small fry compared to our losses. Think of all the loans we had who didnt play. Not because of injury which in its self was huge but the players we got in who did well to make the bench. We paid out loan fees and covered the wages. That outlay was the biggest waste.

I just want to see us win games again.. Totally forgotten what the good weekend feeling of 3 points in the bag feels like!

"We've lost that winning feeling, now it's gone, gone, gone...oh oh oh" us old uns have been here before, young man. It was the making of us. We came through it and sang, "City are back, City are back, hello, hello" now you youngsters must withstand the pain and come back stronger for it, and with a song of your own, too. I'll be watching you...

Sold you must be joking,we have the best Chairman/Owner that anyone could wish for a local guy who has made good and invested in the team he supports just ask all those fans who have clubs owned by foreigners  

And you seriously don't want to go THERE at the moment :(

True.

The Road to Damascus is an unmarked and uncertain path, paved with treachery and hidden motives.

Sounds not too dissimilar to NickJ's excellent post on the SL thread!!

Was going to start a thread along the same thing asking if people would prefer 1 year in the premiership then being relegated to league 2 over the next 8/10 years or competing in the championship (successfully) & good cup runs for say 12 ish years? Something along that,

I know I'd be happy with the latter & watching decent attractive football :-)

Archived