IGNORED

Players Union Off To The Courts Over Players Rights

Maesknoll Red

"If successful, the move could allow players to serve notice on their contracts as other workers can.

In theory, that would mean a player would be able to tell his club he wanted to leave and hand in his notice. Another club could then pay up the remainder of the player's contract and he would be able to join them without a transfer fee being paid."

Does this mean clubs would be able to effectively 'sack' players by serving them their notice if they've not performed to expectation?

• Admin

"If successful, the move could allow players to serve notice on their contracts as other workers can.

In theory, that would mean a player would be able to tell his club he wanted to leave and hand in his notice. Another club could then pay up the remainder of the player's contract and he would be able to join them without a transfer fee being paid."

Does this mean clubs would be able to effectively 'sack' players by serving them their notice if they've not performed to expectation?

I'd hope so.

Not before time.

Surely clubs will just write exceptionally long notice periods into contracts, i.e. 1 year. I'm almost certain that the kind of notice period they want will work both ways, though I'm sure FifPro will fight against that. Proving poor performance in order to give a player notice will be difficult though, lots of money to be made by lawyers at tribunals

This may actually benefit us given we have one of the bigger budgets in our division- we can acquire the better players from the smaller clubs for low fees. Of course the real winners will be the players "if you want to keep me you need to offer me higher wages to keep me sweet and make it more expensive for someone else to buy out my contract"

Surely clubs will just write exceptionally long notice periods into contracts, i.e. 1 year. I'm almost certain that the kind of notice period they want will work both ways, though I'm sure FifPro will fight against that. Proving poor performance in order to give a player notice will be difficult though, lots of money to be made by lawyers at tribunals

This may actually benefit us given we have one of the bigger budgets in our division- we can acquire the better players from the smaller clubs for low fees. Of course the real winners will be the players "if you want to keep me you need to offer me higher wages to keep me sweet and make it more expensive for someone else to buy out my contract"

I have to give 6 months in my job

Not really, you just give them performance targets and when they fail to reach them, discipline them eventually sacking them.

Ok, what targets do you set and how would you prove them to be reasonable I'm court? A striker who doesn't score enough goals will argue he didn't get service or that the defence was so fragile he had to spend time tracking back. A goalkeeper who doesn't keep clean sheets will blame his centre halves. It would be impossible to set targets that couldn't be pulled apart by a decent barrister at an employment tribunal. You'd have to have someone who was beyond doubt playing below the level you would have expected when they signed and I reckon that would be tough and constantly challenged by dismissed players

Ok, what targets do you set and how would you prove them to be reasonable I'm court? A striker who doesn't score enough goals will argue he didn't get service or that the defence was so fragile he had to spend time tracking back. A goalkeeper who doesn't keep clean sheets will blame his centre halves. It would be impossible to set targets that couldn't be pulled apart by a decent barrister at an employment tribunal. You'd have to have someone who was beyond doubt playing below the level you would have expected when they signed and I reckon that would be tough and constantly challenged by dismissed players

you can't sadly,

All its designed to do is to keep players wages raising and raising,

it also means tapping up would become legal (headhunting)

**** 'em.

Other than my father paying for a Sky subscription I'm through with giving the football industry committed custom.

I'd like to see a Jimmy Hillesqe fans' reaction to the bloody nonsense.

I advise you all; stop going.

Football's been whored.

Next time you see a 'City player' genuinely give a **** about City, please report it back to me.

Nietzche: Football is dead.

Perhaps I'm being naieve here, why isn't the contract the valuable asset here and not the player? If the contract included the players registration and was a rolling type, then the contract could be sold, paid up or bought by an interested party.

If I had a contract to supply labour for maintenance and someone wanted to buy it, the customer was in agreement and I wanted to sell, isn't that the same?

I have a 6 month notice and 12 month exclusivity clause in my contract... They need to man up and get owned bitches.

Opta.

But that won't stop them disputing the reason for the fall in stats. If you work in for instance, sales, its a reasonably linear process; you'll be asked to sell x-value of product and if you do you'll get you bonus. If you don't you'll be asked why and short of 'I had a serious illness', is unlikely there'll be a satisfactory answer. If you say to a player why didn't you meet your target, there's a dozen reasons they could give, even with Opta. It would get pulled around unemployment tribunals, cost thousands in solicitor and barrister fees and the club would more often than not end up paying up the contract anyway. I'm not saying it couldn't be done, just that it would be a very tricky process

Archived