IGNORED

That Nice Mr Burt

where's the joy

I might be wrong to assume but I would have thought with the January transfer window coming up, change of manager etc he would be working on a list of possible targets, agreeing budgets with the board, speaking to Agents, watching games with Cotterill etc.

I'm glad he is so far under the radar as we can conduct our business without alerting other clubs

Everything the board has said indicates he'll be staying. How much faith you want to place in that I'll leave up to you.

I would presume right now he's busy identifying potential transfer targets. Possibly for January but more likely for next Summer. He will still be in overall charge of recruitment, though I imagine they'd let Cotterill choose some players of his own for short-term fixing in January.

please tell me what he's up to?

seems quieter than 'howard hughes' mr dawe.

but he was the one to bring in marlon pack etc and somehow get kilkenny out we presume.

so what exactly does he do now, and was SOD's exit his idea

answers please

I think we all seem to forget that most of us were quite impressed with Mr Burt and our pre season signings. Now its all gone tits up it is his fault which doesn't lie well with me.

We have a squad that should be producing the goods in this league. FFS JET alone is a revelation. Perhaps the problem lies elsewhere like team management for instance. Lets give SC a little time to see what he can produce from his inheritance.

And Derrick Williams, Jordan Wynter, Jay Emmanuell Thomas. I also know for a fact that Karleigh Osborne was all his decision, O'Driscoll did not know anything about it until the day before, but Burt had been working on it for a few weeks

Ill give him credit for Williams but Wynter's proved nothing yet.

As per JET then every man and his dog knew about him. JET's agent approached SOD so his signing had nothing to do with Burt directly.

Osbournes played one decent game at RB.

The best bit of business Burt has done was to Get Chris Forrester over here on trial. Weather we sign him or not remains to be seen.

Cotts will be identifiying targets giving them to burt and tell him to go get them

You may well be right but I hope not. If that's all he does it's really just a part-time admin job. I hope that he adds something more. We've been led to believe he has a lot of contacts / knowledge of suitable players. If so he should be suggesting some players to Cotts. Of course this will only work if he's on the same wavelength as Cotts and knows the type of player he wants. If not there will be some very short conversations

And Derrick Williams, Jordan Wynter, Jay Emmanuell Thomas. I also know for a fact that Karleigh Osborne was all his decision, O'Driscoll did not know anything about it until the day before, but Burt had been working on it for a few weeks

So what part did SOD have in these signings? Any?

Ill give him credit for Williams but Wynter's proved nothing yet.

As per JET then every man and his dog knew about him. JET's agent approached SOD so his signing had nothing to do with Burt directly.

Osbournes played one decent game at RB.

The best bit of business Burt has done was to Get Chris Forrester over here on trial. Weather we sign him or not remains to be seen.

bit harsh seeing he's been injured. I thought he did well at the beginning of the season

Don't get the Wagstaff bashing at times. He's fairly unspectacular but as essentially Anderson's replacement he hasn't done that badly in comparison to how Anderson did.

Hasn't been a terrible signing and scored a few goals. We haven't played genuine width yet so would like to see him as a proper winger for a few games before writing him off totally.

You may well be right but I hope not. If that's all he does it's really just a part-time admin job. I hope that he adds something more. We've been led to believe he has a lot of contacts / knowledge of suitable players. If so he should be suggesting some players to Cotts. Of course this will only work if he's on the same wavelength as Cotts and knows the type of player he wants. If not there will be some very short conversations

Burt's job will be mainly about finding players for the long term. Players who will be good for the team in 2, 3, 4 years time. Players like Wynter and Williams, who will hopefully be allied to youth products in a future side.

Cotterill will identify short term targets that he needs to fix things right now. As I've said before, the trick will be in transitioning smoothly from one to the other.

Burt's job will be mainly about finding players for the long term. Players who will be good for the team in 2, 3, 4 years time. Players like Wynter and Williams, who will hopefully be allied to youth products in a future side.

Cotterill will identify short term targets that he needs to fix things right now. As I've said before, the trick will be in transitioning smoothly from one to the other.

I'd have to disagree with this.  Burt's job is to find players for the NOW as well as the long term.

Yes, of course Cotterill will have his own view and his own network and will bring in what he wants, but that doesn't put aside any work that Burt has already done in recruiting players for January.

Burt and his team of scouts will have already been watching many players through the season so far, and if they have someone they are very keen on this will no doubt be put to the new manager.

For me, Burt has been very restricted in his dealings so far due to the wage restrictions.  Once Fonts, Killa, Marv, Taylor, Wilson & Pearson are off the wage bill then he has a bit more freedom in his recruitment.

So far, just as many do when they enter a new club, Burt has had to rely on his old network of contacts - hence the proliferation of Forest players.

The Scouting Network at BCFC prior to his arrival was non-existent, so he's had to work from what he already knows.  Now that he's been able to put together a team of scouts I've no doubt there are plenty of players being actively watched.  I will judge Burt's dealings after the Summer 2014 window, when he will have to put the trust in the scouting network he has assembled rather than just his own knowledge.

So far, Williams has been a good find.  Pack a known lower league talent worth a gamble.  Wynter needs to prove himself.  Wagstaff a known league 1 grafter.  Flint ridiculously overpriced.

Archived