IGNORED

The Jet Conundrum

Welcome To The Jungle

JET is first an foremost, the best player I have ever seen grace the hallowed turf at Ashton Gate. He is genuinely 2 footed, can score from anywhere and has plenty of assists. 

However the conundrum comes when you observe his play for 90 mins, and you see a player who is let down by his decision making and a desire to get on the ball in advanced areas. 

His decision making is poor, in as much as he seems to settle for nothing less than an assist or a goal when he gets on the ball. If he can't shoot or make the killer pass, he hogs the ball normally and tries to beat half the opposition. He often loses possession and the attack is over. This desire to hold the ball can often slow down attacks, with JET seemingly inable to play a square ball to keep possession when there are no other passes on and he's now marked by 2 players.

Secondly his desire to get into advanced areas. When people complain about his work rate, they're not complaining that he doesn't track back or go box to box, that is not his job. However he spends 90% of the game wandering aimlessly out wide. This is like being down  to 10 men as he expects the ball to just arrive at his feet, leaving poor Sammy to run around up front by himself.

As I said, JET is bloody good at football, but I feel our dependence on him for goals and assists is not just because the players are poor, but JET never gives anyone else a chance to play, slowing us down and not really wanting to pass. But at the same time, if the game is tight, and goaless, neither team is making chances and you need a goal from nothing, then JET is your man. 

I can't decide whether he is the knight who is keeping us in the hunt, or the knave who is holding us back as a team. 

Can we keep betting on the roulette wheel every week hoping our number comes up, Jay Emmanuel Thomas, I wish I knew

JET is first an foremost, the best player I have ever seen grace the hallowed turf at Ashton Gate. He is genuinely 2 footed, can score from anywhere and has plenty of assists. 

You obviously never saw Andy Cole, I rate him as the most exciting footballer I ever saw at the gate, and my time goes back to a lot of games with the maestro - John Atyeo

You obviously never saw Andy Cole, I rate him as the most exciting footballer I ever saw at the gate, and my time goes back to a lot of games with the maestro - John Atyeo

Everytime Cole got the ball Id expect him to score, he was that good.

I remember one away game at the old den when we went one nil down (I think) and each one of our forward line got a goal. Cant remember who exactly, but it could have been Cole, Jacki, Rosenior and Allison.

Aye it was a different andy cole to the one at man u. The one at man u knew he would get loads of chances so never appeared quite as clinical as the one at AG.

Cracking striker. Best we have had in my time visiting AG

Everytime Cole got the ball Id expect him to score, he was that good.

I remember one away game at the old den when we went one nil down (I think) and each one of our forward line got a goal. Cant remember who exactly, but it could have been Cole, Jacki, Rosenior and Allison.

Was there that day if i'm not mistaken. Ended 3-4 City?

Agree with OP in that I'm torn or the first time bout whether he makes us stronger as a team. No questioning his talent and even when quiet he usually provides a couple of flashes of brilliance. Watching him yesterday was frustrating as effort and decision making were questionable and when we needed just an extra 10% effort to help the team he just goes missing. He has the beating of any opponent but are we stronger as a team without him?? My view is no but we need 11 in this together to get out go this and watching him closely yesterday made you realise that whilst he might tweet about how determined he is, yesterday was hollow words.

Agree with OP in that I'm torn or the first time bout whether he makes us stronger as a team. No questioning his talent and even when quiet he usually provides a couple of flashes of brilliance. Watching him yesterday was frustrating as effort and decision making were questionable and when we needed just an extra 10% effort to help the team he just goes missing. He has the beating of any opponent but are we stronger as a team without him?? My view is no but we need 11 in this together to get out go this and watching him closely yesterday made you realise that whilst he might tweet about how determined he is, yesterday was hollow words.

Bit of a chicken and egg situation, but here's a point for discussion:

We've clearly built a team around JET and the team is now bottom - is this due to JET or the other players? Would we be in the same position if we had a hard working striker who ran the channels like Stead did?

Funny how this Jet problem has been gathering pace in the last few days seeing that i was shot down in flames for even suggesting that he should be dropped for a spell after the Rotherham game.

As I mentioned previously this is probably the only selection option not used yet and as everything else has failed what is there to lose.

Funny how this Jet problem has been gathering pace in the last few days seeing that i was shot down in flames for even suggesting that he should be dropped for a spell after the Rotherham game.

As I mentioned previously this is probably the only selection option not used yet and as everything else has failed what is there to lose.

Should have seen the response when I suggested it way back in September. 

Drop the player who has scored 15 this season, unbelievable, who shall we replace him with, the free-scoring Taylor? 2 of the best England players of all time, Lineker & Greaves would do absolutely nothing all game then 1 piece of magic and the game's won, it's our woeful defence that is the problem not our 25 goal strike partnership, if jet keeps scoring at the rate he's going he'll end up with 30 goals and we'll still have whingers like you complaining about him.

Drop the player who has scored 15 this season, unbelievable, who shall we replace him with, the free-scoring Taylor? 2 of the best England players of all time, Lineker & Greaves would do absolutely nothing all game then 1 piece of magic and the game's won, it's our woeful defence that is the problem not our 25 goal strike partnership, if jet keeps scoring at the rate he's going he'll end up with 30 goals and we'll still have whingers like you complaining about him.

So he can score another 15 and we could still finish bottom of the table, great.

Sometimes you just have to make decisions that one knows isn't going to be popular but could transform the way we are currently playing.

How many more league games do we have to wait for him to produce a match winning piece of skill.

I'm not a whinger and would love having a luxury player like him in the team if we weren't in such a dire situation.

But you and other blinkered fans really have to look at the overall picture we are facing.

Dropping him may be a disastrous move by SC, although it couldn't get any worse, could it. 

So he can score another 15 and we could still finish bottom of the table, great.

Sometimes you just have to make decisions that one knows isn't going to be popular but could transform the way we are currently playing.

How many more league games do we have to wait for him to produce a match winning piece of skill.

I'm not a whinger and would love having a luxury player like him in the team if we weren't in such a dire situation.

But you and other blinkered fans really have to look at the overall picture we are facing.

Dropping him may be a disastrous move by SC, although it couldn't get any worse, could it. 

Why am i blinkered, surely that is you with your obvious dislike for our best player, you seem to be just waiting for him to fail.  How can you even complicate dropping our top scorer not even mentioning his many assists when we have so many others in the team who contribute zilch, up to this weekend no team in the bottom half of the division have scored more goals than us so it seems obvious where the problem lies and that is with our naive & gutless defenders, there are far more players in the team who deserve criticism before Jet, were you one of the whingers saying jet should be dropped on the morning of the Carlisle game? by the way, is Taylor the answer?    

Of course it could get worse.

It's December and we are bottom. April and we're bottom would be worse.

If we don't score goals then it almost certainly will get worse - and as has been said, at the moment JET is just about our only route to goals - either scoring them or assists.

His pass yesterday put Baldock clean through. His pass put Cunningham through 2nd half. Those were our two best chances from open play.

Of course it could get worse.

It's December and we are bottom. April and we're bottom would be worse.

If we don't score goals then it almost certainly will get worse - and as has been said, at the moment JET is just about our only route to goals - either scoring them or assists.

His pass yesterday put Baldock clean through. His pass put Cunningham through 2nd half. Those were our two best chances from open play.

Dave, don't bother, the stupidity of some City supporters never fails to amaze me 

The op is a bit of a contradiction.

First it states that JET is the best player to grace the hallowed turf. Then the op states that he has poor decision making, hogs the ball and tries to beat half the opposition. His desire to hold the ball often slows down the play. He also spend 90% of the time wandering aimlessly out wide.

With all these faults how on earth can he be such a great player ?

First it states that JET is the best player to grace the hallowed turf. Then the op states that he has poor decision making, hogs the ball and tries to beat half the opposition. His desire to hold the ball often slows down the play. He also spend 90% of the time wandering aimlessly out wide.

I think that's the conundrum...

I should just make that clear. I meant technically the best player. His touch, skill shooting, dribbling, passing etc etc. 

I should just make that clear. I meant technically the best player. His touch, skill shooting, dribbling, passing etc etc.

The big question must be does his technical ability justify his place in the team when he has all the other faults. My opinion is " yes ". He's scored 15 goals , provided numerous assists that have led to goals and provided numerous passes to other players that should have been converted to goals with better finishing. Take this a away and City would have even fewer points.

Would he be worth a place in a good team pushing for promotion or in the Championship? That's a different, more difficult, question.

The big question must be does his technical ability justify his place in the team when he has all the other faults. My opinion is " yes ". He's scored 15 goals , provided numerous assists that have led to goals and provided numerous passes to other players that should have been converted to goals with better finishing. Take this a away and City would have even fewer points.

Would he be worth a place in a good team pushing for promotion or in the Championship? That's a different, more difficult, question.

This is indeed the question. I'd like to see us without him. I'm probably wrong but a game or 2 couldn't do much more damage

I did like Cole, have to admit I quite like soren Anderson too shame he only had one season I think he would have been better after two :-(

Why am i blinkered, surely that is you with your obvious dislike for our best player, you seem to be just waiting for him to fail.  How can you even complicate dropping our top scorer not even mentioning his many assists when we have so many others in the team who contribute zilch, up to this weekend no team in the bottom half of the division have scored more goals than us so it seems obvious where the problem lies and that is with our naive & gutless defenders, there are far more players in the team who deserve criticism before Jet, were you one of the whingers saying jet should be dropped on the morning of the Carlisle game? by the way, is Taylor the answer?    

Harry with all due respect your entitled to your opinion. But having seen the majority of home and away games this season we rely far too heavily on jet. There is no doubt he is our best player, but im starting to think we may be a better TEAM without him. Yesterday he was wandering around with no cares, yes he created a couple of chances, but also put us in the shit a few times with his languid style, and laboured passes. I don't know if it will work, but its the only thing we haven't tried, perhaps if he is dropped we will rely on better teamwork to score, and he may up his game as a result as well?  We cant afford to carry luxury players in the position we are in, the rest of them aren't good enough, not that that's jets fault. Its worth giving it a try without him from the start at least imo.

What I remember most about Andy Cole is this.

Whenever Baldock's through one on one you expect him to miss.

And not intending to pick on Baldock - that's been true of most strikers we've had down the years.

But when Cole was put through like that - you just knew that he'd score. And he did.

What i remember of Cole was that he missed one hell of allot of chances

and done nothing but sulk when things didnt go his way

The only two forwards i have seen at the Gate who i fancied to score 1 on 1 was Super Bob and the Goat

Archived