IGNORED

Wes Burns

Taylor10

Thought Wes was absolutely superb again today when he came on. He really does look like he is going to be some player. I have been banging the drum for him for weeks and I am delighted he is now getting a chance.

SC commented after the game how much he likes Wes. Music to my ears to be honest and I think in time he will be a regular. What impressed me the most was the fact that SC gave Wes a chance when the game was in the balance and a run out for the best part of 30 mins. That showed trust on SC's part but also encouraging that Burns arguably gave his best sub appearance when the team was still under pressure and we needed to create. Coming off the bench every now and then when the game is done and there is no pressure is one thing but I thought today he really shone when needed.

I think it's important not to put him under too much pressure too soon. I would still love him to start but if he can be that effective from the bench then perhaps it's not quite as urgent for him to start right now. I am sure he's ready to start but it will be very hard to maintain the threat he did today for 90mins. I agree with what SC said when he first arrived that you can't just play the kids for the sake of it, as they need to be good enough. Good to see he really trusts Wes though as I think he is a huge prospect. He was a real threat and changed the dynamic of the game when he came on today, even was decent in the air. I thought he showed great skill at times and at one point completely took the piss when he was surrounded by 3 Walsall defenders and skinned them all.

Question is would you start him against Stevenage? Or continue to introduce him slowly but often like SC has done so far? I must admit I am impressed by SC's handling of him and wasn't sure he would be his type of player. Let's hope he continues to develop. 

Agree he was excellent when he came on and I was very happy to see him come on. However I wouldn't start him against Stevenage. I think the time he is most effective is from 60 mins plus as defenders are starting to lose their legs a bit.

Yeah on today's evidence that was certainly the case. Literally ripped them apart at times and Walsall struggled to contain him. While his game is improving he is an awesome weapon to unleash from the bench that's for sure.

Don't think he's ever going to be a world beater, but he's got something we've missed up front for a while - someone who's a hard worker, ok in the air and most importantly willing to run at defenders. Baldocks ok behind, but one on one he just tries to shoot early

Think we'll see more of him as I don't think Cotterill is impressed with jet. He slows the game down so much to play at his pace, but that massively impacts out team.

Think he'd tire before half time if he sarted a game. Absolutely brilliant at coming off the bench in the 2nd half for the moment. The more he comes off the bench obviously the better he'll become. The way he plays I think you could burn him out very quickly if he started. Very refreshing player to watch and a shame he didn't get a look in under SOD, But seems very much the sort of player Cotterill loves.

Thought Wes was absolutely superb again today when he came on. He really does look like he is going to be some player. I have been banging the drum for him for weeks and I am delighted he is now getting a chance.

SC commented after the game how much he likes Wes. Music to my ears to be honest and I think in time he will be a regular. What impressed me the most was the fact that SC gave Wes a chance when the game was in the balance and a run out for the best part of 30 mins. That showed trust on SC's part but also encouraging that Burns arguably gave his best sub appearance when the team was still under pressure and we needed to create. Coming off the bench every now and then when the game is done and there is no pressure is one thing but I thought today he really shone when needed.

I think it's important not to put him under too much pressure too soon. I would still love him to start but if he can be that effective from the bench then perhaps it's not quite as urgent for him to start right now. I am sure he's ready to start but it will be very hard to maintain the threat he did today for 90mins. I agree with what SC said when he first arrived that you can't just play the kids for the sake of it, as they need to be good enough. Good to see he really trusts Wes though as I think he is a huge prospect. He was a real threat and changed the dynamic of the game when he came on today, even was decent in the air. I thought he showed great skill at times and at one point completely took the piss when he was surrounded by 3 Walsall defenders and skinned them all.

Question is would you start him against Stevenage? Or continue to introduce him slowly but often like SC has done so far? I must admit I am impressed by SC's handling of him and wasn't sure he would be his type of player. Let's hope he continues to develop.

Thank you for your post Mrs Burns.We all want your son to do well.

Should be an impact sub for wagstaff for the above reasons. How great would it e to see a midfield lineup of Bryan, Reid, wynter and burns. It would really show how far the academy has come.

A little early to be playing them all at same time though. Need a bit of experience in there. Can't wait for Kelly to come back too. Him and Reid in cm would be awesome with wynter as a sub

Good post T10.

I'm another who's been banging the drum for Wes all season after being very impressed with him on every occasion he featured for City in the Championship. Thankfully my regular moaning and groaning on the match thread when the team and subs. were announced, and he was omitted yet again, can seemingly be consigned the past.

That he seemed to be regressing under SO'D, usually not even making the subs bench, must have been very frustrating for him in a season which he must have marked down to be his breakthrough to regular first team action. He may even have been considering his future and whether BCFC under SO'D was actually the club for him.

So it's really heartening that SC has not only noticed his talent but is not afraid to play him, and if Cotterill's public admiration and encouragement from the interview is anything to go by Wes now has a manager who not only believes in him but will encourage him every inch of the way in training, and trust him on the pitch as well.

Just what he needed, and I can see him blossoming very quickly now under Cotterill and becoming an important player for us in the 2nd half of the season.

If so he'll quickly become a crowd favourite at AG but the downside of course is he could well attract some very handsome offers in the next year to 18 months as he begins to fulfil his potential, and if we remain a lower league club he will be very difficult to hold on to.

His pace is a key asset as many of our squad don't have that in their locker. Sc likes fast play and wingers and wes fits the bill. By all means he is no where near the finished article but many things he can learn in time. What he needs is guidance and regular game time and he will get that in this new regime. Hopefully Reid and Bryan will too

I was impressed as well with Burns against Walsall but also agree about him not starting. Think bringing him on as a sub for a few more games is a sensible option until he makes it impossible for Steve Cotterill to leave him out. Once he makes that transition from bench to starter will be interesting to see how he handles that pressure but for now do not think he is quite ready but he is very close.

Archived