IGNORED

Why I Believe The Board Are Right

dolman_man

As I walked out of the Millenium Stadium soon after the final whistle least weekend, I surprised myself, my son and several others around me by saying that the Board should get rid of Danny Wilson that evening and put Brian Tinnion in charge.

I had been a Wilson supporter throughout his period as a manger of the Club. He had a difficult start having inherited a lot of baggage from earlier managers but seemed to have the right philosophy and playing style. Losing 2 players (Thorpe & Murray) put back his plans. Some of his purchases (if indeed they were all his doing and not the Chairman's) have been a little odd considering we have young players coming through the Academy and yet players were bought for the future rather than for current experience.

It was at half time in the home leg of the play-off semi-final that an old friend (I've known him a long time but he is getting on in years as well) suggested that Wilson had taken the Club, or at least this set of players as far as he could. I wasn't sure that I agreed with him at the time. But between then and the final I began to feel the same way.

I was really up for the final and was convinced that we could beat what I knew to be an extremely defensive Brighton side. However I was dismayed by Wilson's team selection and the very negative performance that the side gave, presumably under Wilson's instructions.

I believe that the only managerial appointment which the Board could make, having sacked Danny, that would give them even half a chance of retaining the services of Danny Coles, Tommy Doherty and possibly Steve Phillips was Brian Tinnion.

Yes - he has no experience of management, but there are numerous examples of players going straight into management and becoming a success. I believe that Tinnion has the respect of all of the players and can make a very good fist of an unenviable position. Let's all get behind him. Another year of failure is unthinkable.

Well said, I agree with everything you say. Like you I have always been a Wilson supporter but I was so pleased when I heard that he was sacked as I was dreading next season with more of the same.

At least now we have someone who lives locally and who wants to win.

Archived