IGNORED

Chris Forrester

jeade

Anybody got any further info on the young Irish winger who was training with us and due to sign in Jan. Is this deal dead following SODs departure? We are not exactly blessed with wide men and was player of the year in Ireland, so good reputation.

More like SOD may have wanted him but Cotterill hadn't even seen him as Forrester had left before Cotterill arrived.

Seems like Cotterill didn't want to take a chance on a player he hadn't seen for himself. Unlucky on the player but a sensible decision from the manager.

The opinions of Burt & Pemberton presumably don't matter to SC then?

If that's the case, is there much point to the Director of Football if SC is just gonna do it all himself?

As the Head Coach SOD always had the last say on any player, no change there. 

Its not a question of SC "doing it all himself", its a question of SC identifying the type of player he needs - how in hell could he do that when he wasn't even here at the time of Forrester and hadn't had any time to agree anything with ANY player ? He needed to assess what he already had, which I assume he has now done.

Seems perfectly obvious and sensible to me.

No further comment from me at this point.

So, Cotterill wants wingers according to this article.

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/Steve-Cotterill-keen-add-natural-winger-Bristol/story-20386055-detail/story.html

Well, you had one ready and waiting and keen to join but decided not to.  Strange.

I thought I read that Forrester is extremely slight and needs to build up his physical strength before he can compete adequately in this league.

I think he even alluded to it himself.

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/Steve-Cotterill-keen-add-natural-winger-Bristol/story-20386055-detail/story.html

Well, you had one ready and waiting and keen to join but decided not to. Strange.

Well obviously he didn't think he was ready yet, or good enough, strong enough etc...

The fact he's a winger doesn't mean we have to sign him - that's been the problem in the past, managers signing average players that don't improve the squad.

Cynic is right. Cotterill made the call not to take Forrester's trial any further despite not seeing the lad play?!?!!

We all know he dont do DVD's neither!

Like Harry said, Stange especially given the fact CF impressed all whilst here, wanted to come, would of been cheap & Cotterill wants wingers in himself. Our U21 squad is also extremely thin.

I have two close friends who where invited up the to the training ground to watch a behind closed door game a few weeks back. Forrester happend to being playing & their opinion of him was "Very good despite his slight size".

I cant help but feel not bringing in CF will come back to bite this club on it's backside.

I cant help but feel not bringing in CF will come back to bite this club on it's backside.

Probably. He would of been a cheap, low risk signing...and within a year or two he could of bulked up significantly if necessary.

Puzzling if Cotterill didn't even look at him. I assume he has something up his sleeve.

Probably. He would of been a cheap, low risk signing...and within a year or two he could of bulked up significantly if necessary.

Puzzling if Cotterill didn't even look at him. I assume he has something up his sleeve.

When is Pearson back?

Well, you had one ready and waiting and keen to join but decided not to. Strange.

So because he's keen we should sign him? Perhaps our manager just didn't think he was very good and/or has other targets in mind...?

So because he's keen we should sign him? Perhaps our manager just didn't think he was very good and/or has other targets in mind...?

No, not just because he's keen.

Because he impressed enough in his trial for SOD to want to sign him, therefore Pemberton & Burt will also have been suitably impressed, so surely they can offer advice to the new manager and perhaps suggest he take a look at him for himself.  Especially so that he is keen to sign a winger??

Seems either this advice was not offered, or it was met with a brick wall.

When I read his name I think Hobin and that other Irish lad copout brought in,

No one saw him play so we are in no postion to comment, it's not as if other clubs were queuing for his signature ether

I've seen him play and I am in a position to comment.  Just because Hoban is Irish means nothing with Forrester.

Might as well say James Wilson is a failure so we'd best not be interested in Gareth Bale.

As for clubs interested in him, there are plenty, hence why SOD wanted to keep his trial here on the downlow (only for twitter to break the news!!)

Oh, and he's possibly the most scouted Irish player of recent years.  Plenty of interest in him.

I've seen him play and I am in a position to comment.  Just because Hoban is Irish means nothing with Forrester.

Might as well say James Wilson is a failure so we'd best not be interested in Gareth Bale.

As for clubs interested in him, there are plenty, hence why SOD wanted to keep his trial here on the downlow (only for twitter to break the news!!)

Oh, and he's possibly the most scouted Irish player of recent years.  Plenty of interest in him.

Remind us then, what league club has he gone to?.

We had this before when a newly arrived SOD did nothing to halt the transfer of Joe Edwards. We had a defence leaking like a sieve and Yeovil got a good defender for peanuts.

Hope this isn't another one who falls between the managerial cracks. Unfortunately there's an agenda in behind many posters comments here, so unless I see this Forrester make good in English football I'll trust the club on this one. Rember the only quote we have to back up that O'Driscoll wanted to sign him is Forrester's himself.

Can't wait, seen it all before this drooling over a 'supposed' great young prospects, didn't the 3 amigo's tell us that about Mclaughlin as well? and then didn't give him a chance, knock all you want Harry 14 games to go and only 8 points needed to emulate that last manager.

We had this before when a newly arrived SOD did nothing to halt the transfer of Joe Edwards. We had a defence leaking like a sieve and Yeovil got a good defender for peanuts.

Hope this isn't another one who falls between the managerial cracks. Unfortunately there's an agenda in behind many posters comments here, so unless I see this Forrester make good in English football I'll trust the club on this one. Rember the only quote we have to back up that O'Driscoll wanted to sign him is Forrester's himself.

Chaps, there's no agenda here.  I'm behind Cotterill as much as the next man and would love him to succeed.  I've stated on here that he has a clean slate from me and I will judge him on what he does here, not what he's supposed to have done elsewhere.

I just can't fathom out why the club would invite someone on trial, be suitably impressed, be keen to sign (and the player keen to come), then the new manager doesn't even want to look at him?

I'd read between the lines on this as SC wanting to bring in his own players and not consider what Burt was responsible for bringing here on trial.  Doesn't bode well for me in the Manager - Director of Football relationship.

Chaps, there's no agenda here.  I'm behind Cotterill as much as the next man and would love him to succeed.  I've stated on here that he has a clean slate from me and I will judge him on what he does here, not what he's supposed to have done elsewhere.

I just can't fathom out why the club would invite someone on trial, be suitably impressed, be keen to sign (and the player keen to come), then the new manager doesn't even want to look at him?

I'd read between the lines on this as SC wanting to bring in his own players and not consider what Burt was responsible for bringing here on trial.  Doesn't bode well for me in the Manager - Director of Football relationship.

and I cannot fathom why we would sign a similarly described Irish winger on loan and then not give him a chance, so we can assume Burt brought him here, didn't bode well for the manager not to consider him, see what I did.

The alternative being that SC wants to sign a winger who has experience of this league?

JMW possibly, from Port Vale.

Chaps, there's no agenda here. I'm behind Cotterill as much as the next man and would love him to succeed. I've stated on here that he has a clean slate from me and I will judge him on what he does here, not what he's supposed to have done elsewhere.

I'd read between the lines on this as SC wanting to bring in his own players and not consider what Burt was responsible for bringing here on trial. Doesn't bode well for me in the Manager - Director of Football relationship.

But Harry, the only proof that he impressed is from his own lips. Maybe the feeling was "close but no cigar" - perhaps they want to track him for the rest of the season and see how he performs?

The facts are, we don't know for sure if SC had any say in this decision, we don't know for certain that Forrester impressed (other than two of someone's mates who watched him training!) and we certainly can't infer anything about Cotterill's working relationship with Burt.

Like you I hope that is strong. KB has brought some good players here and a busy manager during the season needs a trusty confederate to be his eyes and ears (and advisor) in the transfer market.

Chaps, there's no agenda here. I'm behind Cotterill as much as the next man and would love him to succeed. I've stated on here that he has a clean slate from me and I will judge him on what he does here, not what he's supposed to have done elsewhere.

I'd read between the lines on this as SC wanting to bring in his own players and not consider what Burt was responsible for bringing here on trial. Doesn't bode well for me in the Manager - Director of Football relationship.

Not a very consistent approach is it? As you say, just because the manager/coach changes then why should it stop us bringing in a promising young player?

IMO the board have told another porky in saying that there's no difference between "manager" and "head coach". There clearly is. SC has already brought in a physio as well. Wish they'd just be open and honest about it.

But Harry, the only proof that he impressed is from his own lips. Maybe the feeling was "close but no cigar" - perhaps they want to track him for the rest of the season and see how he performs?

The facts are, we don't know for sure if SC had any say in this decision, we don't know for certain that Forrester impressed (other than two of someone's mates who watched him training!) and we certainly can't infer anything about Cotterill's working relationship with Burt.

Like you I hope that is strong. KB has brought some good players here and a busy manager during the season needs a trusty confederate to be his eyes and ears (and advisor) in the transfer market.

Well 2 have been outstanding, some have been dross, most of the others have been like the curates egg and only time will with the youngsters.

You may be right Es but I'm comparing him to McInnes's recruitment policy!

To be honest mate, I couldn't give a flying **** other than staying up this season, which will be no mean achievement and we have given ourselves a chance of that, just loving the SOD love in and the little digs going in but no reply to any criticism of the quiet one.

It wasn't training, it was a behind closed door friendly that featured Carey, Brundle, Wynter, Elliot, McLaughlin, Burns & Taylor.  Forrester played well and was a hec of a lot more impressive than Burns.

and I cannot fathom why we would sign a similarly described Irish winger on loan and then not give him a chance, so we can assume Burt brought him here, didn't bode well for the manager not to consider him, see what I did.

Es, they're not "similarly described".  Yes, McLaughlin has been described as having potential, but Forrester is a step above him and has been watched by pretty much every Premier League & Championship club.

Es, they're not "similarly described".  Yes, McLaughlin has been described as having potential, but Forrester is a step above him and has been watched by pretty much every Premier League & Championship club.

Highly rated actually, but hey your probably right SC was wrong about Forester and SOD was right about Mclaughlin, which makes Burt wrong, so there's your scapegoat.

McInnes let Edwards go

But hasn't he just signed a new contract with his Irish team ?

Sounds like bollux to me.

Not bollux at all mate.  Over the last 2 years pretty much every team has sent scouts to Ireland to watch him.

Yes he's signed a new 1 year deal,  but all that means is rather than making a compensatory payment, a club would have to pay a transfer fee.

You can doubt it all you want, but I know for a fact that plenty of other clubs are interested in him.  He's already trialled previously at Wolves, Watford & Stoke and plenty of others are keen.

Not bollux at all mate.  Over the last 2 years pretty much every team has sent scouts to Ireland to watch him.

Yes he's signed a new 1 year deal,  but all that means is rather than making a compensatory payment, a club would have to pay a transfer fee.

You can doubt it all you want, but I know for a fact that plenty of other clubs are interested in him.  He's already trialled previously at Wolves, Watford & Stoke and plenty of others are keen.

Just because he didn't see Forrester at City doesn't mean Cotterill knew nothing about him.

It's quite possible Cotterill had already scouted Forrester himself for another club - Forest/ QPR? - or had spoken to scouts while working at those clubs who'd reported back on him, and already knew the player wasn't what City required.

McInnes took the decision but SOD could've overturned it. He hadn't left before his arrival.

He left 3 days after SOD took over. Probably would've been near enough a done deal by then and Edwards would've wanted to go. I'd rather Moloney tbh

Not bollux at all mate. Over the last 2 years pretty much every team has sent scouts to Ireland to watch him.

Yes he's signed a new 1 year deal, but all that means is rather than making a compensatory payment, a club would have to pay a transfer fee.

You can doubt it all you want, but I know for a fact that plenty of other clubs are interested in him. He's already trialled previously at Wolves, Watford & Stoke and plenty of others are keen.

All this will bear a lot more credence if someone actually signs him rather than this hearsay. Not like anyone couldn't have jumped ahead of us for his signature, a piddling little league one side, if he's so talented.

So this highly rated player, who has had a load of scouts from the prem and championship, watching him over a 2 year period is playing where?, 4 clubs now have said no thanks but plenty are keen but he still signs a new contract with an Irish team, so not that keen really.

Maybe he is just another 3 amigo's highly rated Irish winger who is not good enough, they do have form in that particular department, the only difference is he never played for Forest, unless you know differently.

He left 3 days after SOD took over. Probably would've been near enough a done deal by then and Edwards would've wanted to go. I'd rather Moloney tbh

Moloney hadn't arrived at that point and Edwards is very highly rated at Yeovil. It has to go down as a mistake.

of course it does especially in the context of this thread, letting a player leave that you haven't personally assessed?, whatever next?.

Dunno what he could've done really. Forrester already back at St Pats.

Can we say this guy's a gem, based on one non-competitive game though? He seems to have had a lot of trials elsewhere and not have been snapped up. Aren't we reading a bit too much into it?

Dunno what he could've done really. Forrester already back at St Pats.

Can we say this guy's a gem, based on one non-competitive game though? He seems to have had a lot of trials elsewhere and not have been snapped up. Aren't we reading a bit too much into it?

Well we are not reading too much into it but some are, my point is the same as yours if Forrester is a mistake by SC, then Edwards is a similar mistake by SOD, as was Mclaughlin another highly rated Irish winger, the SOD glee club can't have it both ways, hopefully the straws are running low.

Well we are not reading too much into it but some are, my point is the same as yours if Forrester is a mistake by SC, then Edwards is a similar mistake by SOD, as was Mclaughlin another highly rated Irish winger, the SOD glee club can't have it both ways, hopefully the straws are running low.

I think the straws have almost gone, I mean 1 more win and he's a better manager this season in about 14 less games too,

We finally start to look like a team trying to make things happen instead of a bunch of nervous players just waiting for something to happen

McInnes took the decision but SOD could've overturned it. He hadn't left before his arrival.

To be fair to SOD, if Edwards got told he could go he might not have fancied staying about, even if SOD wanted to run a rule over him, and it is clear Yeovil rated him because they snapped him up, so I think it is a push to attribute blame on that one.  It just happened.

To be fair to SOD, if Edwards got told he could go he might not have fancied staying about, even if SOD wanted to run a rule over him, and it is clear Yeovil rated him because they snapped him up, so I think it is a push to attribute blame on that one. It just happened.

McInnes is the main culprit. We were in the R zone of the Championship, with a dire Scottish RB and Yeovil were near the top of the division beneath us with a RB on loan from us who was getting rave reviews.

2 & 2 not put together there.

McInnes is the main culprit. We were in the R zone of the Championship, with a dire Scottish RB and Yeovil were near the top of the division beneath us with a RB on loan from us who was getting rave reviews.

he wan't playing rb tho' he was playing central midfield

McInnes has a lot to answer for; this is just another item on the list.

McInnes has a lot to answer for; this is just another item on the list.

No he hasn't, and certainly not Edwards leaving.

Edwards was on a last chance one year deal at City to prove himself and was then convicted of drink driving.

After that it was a club decision to move him on, not Del's.

Edwards was on a last chance one year deal at City to prove himself and was then convicted of drink driving.

sounds about right, with Johnson still living in portishead, he could get a lift with the gaffer to work :)

Unless he drove the team coach, I can't quite see the logic of this.

And what more can Edwards do to prove himself than play very well while on loan?

And what more can Edwards do to prove himself than play very well while on loan?

Internal disipline me thinks, Didn't Ryan Harley fail on that side of things too and ended up going,

I disagree; McInnes shares responsible for our relegation last year, and that isn't nothing.  We continue to live with the ramifications of his decisions, along with those SO'D, so he doesn't get a 'pass' for that in my book.

And perhaps you're right RE Edwards, but that just further proves my point that SO'D isn't responsible for his leaving.

I disagree; McInnes shares responsible for our relegation last year, and that isn't nothing.  We continue to live with the ramifications of his decisions, along with those SO'D, so he doesn't get a 'pass' for that in my book.

And perhaps you're right RE Edwards, but that just further proves my point that SO'D isn't responsible for his leaving.

Milen, McInnes and SoD were all poor managers for city and no amount of excuses will change that

In this situation the attitude and behaviour of a player on a last chance to prove himself - footballing wise and as an individual - may well have come in to the decision making process. The drink driving conviction would appear to have been the final straw.

Edwards departure was not Del's decision - we know some decisions on players are not dependant on the views of the incumbent manager - remember for instance thatJames Wilson was even awarded his last contract by 'the club' when we were between managers.

You'll find no argument here.  Add Coppell to that list and that was a dark time.  Hoping that Cotterill ends that streak.

Coppell wasn't here long enough but signs were in place that it was going to be a very poor season

In this situation the attitude and behaviour of a player on a last chance to prove himself - footballing wise and as an individual - may well have come in to the decision making process. The drink driving conviction would appear to have been the final straw.

Edwards departure was not Del's decision - we know some decisions on players are not dependant on the views of the incumbent manager - remember for instance that James Wilson was even awarded his last contract by 'the club' when we were between managers.

The departure of Edwards

Fair points all, and how depressing is the highlighted section.

Regardless of his potential, it is clear Wilson never came close to fulfilling it here, and that fact he's not even mentioned in discussion RE our back-line while still at the club is pretty depressing for the lad.  And us.

Coppell wasn't here long enough but signs were in place that it was going to be a very poor season

Several of his signings and the total waste of a summer were the shaky foundations on which Millen's eventual failure were built. 

Granted, Adomah was decent, but that was somewhat offset by the actively poor (Hunt, Stewart, the Irish lads).

His appointment was an absolutely terrible decision on the part of the then board.

Several of his signings and the total waste of a summer were the shaky foundations on which Millen's eventual failure were built. 

Granted, Adomah was decent, but that was somewhat offset by the actively poor (Hunt, Stewart, the Irish lads).

His appointment was an absolutely terrible decision on the part of the then board.

He also let Orr and Hartley go without putting up a fight to keep them

He did enough in those few months to set us nicely on the path to failure.  Not saying it all lands at his feet (far from it) but he certainly played his part.

Hope every team his is involved with fails abjectly. 

there was no point in putting up a fight, Orr had handed in a transfer request and wanted to leave and Hartley wanted to move back to scotland because the travelling was too much, we could of tried to make both of them our highest earners and they would of still left

Edwards departure was not Del's decision - we know some decisions on players are not dependant on the views of the incumbent manager - remember for instance thatJames Wilson was even awarded his last contract by 'the club' when we were between managers.

I really doubt that Noggers. The club may want to have let him go, but McInnes could've demanded he stay. Numerous players are done for D&D and apart from where it's a Lee Hughes scenario, I can't think of any which are released by their clubs over it.

The fact is "Del" was so blind to Foster's failings, that we turned down the chance to have a perfectly good RB/defensive MF. 

Even when Moloney arrived, we could've done with some decent cover for those positions and Edwards would cost us nothing bar fairly modest wages.

I really doubt that Noggers. The club may want to have let him go, but McInnes could've demanded he stay.

No, he couldn't. The manager answers to the board, not the other way around.

Andre Blackman is another example of a player who got into trouble and was consequently chucked out by City.

It does happen the other way of course and Lansdown publicly defended Orr and Brooker over "the town incident" and the club stood by them despite a turn inside.

No, he couldn't. The manager answers to the board, not the other way around.

Andre Blackman is another example of a player who got into trouble and was consequently chucked out by City.

It does happen the other way of course and Lansdown publicly defended Orr and Brooker over "the town incident" and the club stood by them despite a turn inside.

Not sure you can compare Blackman, who had only just arrived, had been binned for indiscipline elsewhere, and hadn't play a minute of a league game for us to Joe who'd come through our youth system, but regardless of who took the decision, my view was it was a bad one.

Archived