IGNORED

My Thoughts On Stephen Cotterill

Davros

I said on facebook the day SoD was relieved of his duties that i'd settle for Cotterill and nothing has made me change my mind yet ... we've had more chances last few games than in the 4/5 games previously , as you say we look more solid at the back too which is where it all has to build from , Walsall are up there fighting and we looked by far the better team (apart from first 15 of 2nd half) but we held firm , under him i feel we will be out of trouble soon in this league where as before i could see no way out , early days yet but a promising start , starting to see what a bit of belief does for the players who really want the shirt too ... Bring on Stevenage , by the way did u see the FL show .. keeper had a hooowler !!

Personally i think the future looks bright for a change! He seems to know what he wants from the team and i was impressed by the way we played against Walsall. Give the bloke a chance and who knows what might happen. 3 more point on Sunday and the whole atmosphere will dramatically change among the supporters! COYR.

Please try and be a bit more realistic than positive. The bloke is hated by many of his former clubs and this must tell you something, so far he has had 1 good win and that's if. If we don't beat Stevenage the knives will be out again tomorrow.

I am going to wait and see over the next month and see what happens before pronouncing him as our next saviour.

Eh???

Where does he say he is our "saviour"?! 

Please try and be a bit more realistic than positive. The bloke is hated by many of his former clubs and this must tell you something, so far he has had 1 good win and that's if. If we don't beat Stevenage the knives will be out again tomorrow.

I am going to wait and see over the next month and see what happens before pronouncing him as our next saviour.

always one

ffs give the bloke a chance and a bit of support first eh?

if it don't work you can always say you were right

Is he?

Certainly not by Cheltenham, Burnley or Notts. County fans. He did well at Portsmouth too.

So, by ' hated by many of his former clubs', you actually just mean Forest, do you?

Is he?

Certainly not by Cheltenham, Burnley or Notts. County fans. He did well at Portsmouth too.

So, by ' hated by many of his former clubs', you actually just mean Forest, do you?

And Forest is one of the few clubs whose fans have even more unrealistic expectations than us.

I am curious where you have got this from ? It is simply NOT the case.  It is the typical 'herd  mentality' approach.  He is NOT hated by Cheltenham ( in fact to the contrary).   He is Not hated at Notts County.  (Look it up, 'welcome back at any time', and led them to success which has not been reproduced in recent years.)

He is NOT hated at Notts forest, and when he was appointed here I put up a link to a BBC report from Notts on his sacking  (When the rich arabs arrived) and the shock from Forest fans on his sacking.  

He also kept Burnley up for 4 years despite having selling best players  to balance the books ?  No one is saying he is going to be a saviour, but after O Dreary anything has to be better ( I don't look at the league table).  The expression we hear is 'A good fit' for the club.  He oozes positivity, something that O Dreary did not.   I say this as well with a view that O Dreary might have turned things around, but we will never know now !

I have mentioned this before in previous posts that i have good friends in the Nottingham area, one actually played for Notts County in the past ( NOT under SC).  His reputation is held in good esteem.

Sometimes we have to balance the account so to speak ! 

For the first time in a long time I am sat at home with my city top on looking forward to the bus ride to aston gate. I am also thinking to myself that 3 points are there to be won today. He was my first choice. Someone who I have wanted to see at this club for sometime. Attacking football has given me a glow again :-)

Thanks to the OP and many of the repliers for this positive thread.

I was personally gutted and frankly disillusioned when SC was announced as the new manager, as it seemed a backward step for the club, and appeared to show a complete lack of ambition.  As with most of us, I resigned myself to continue supporting the club and hope my fears were unfounded and we wouldn't be all suffering cricks in our necks from watching the high balls sailing around high above the pitch.  So far I've been pleasantly surprised and there seems to be more 'real football' being played than there was under SO'D and we're playing with a much higher tempo, positivity and more purpose and the players appear to care, rather than going through the motions.

SO'D was a massive disappointment and just didn't deliver what his reputation suggested he would.  To me, he seemed like a split personality.  On the one hand, there was the intelligent head coach who produced programme notes which convinced you the club were in the hands of a thinker who had an excellent grasp of what was needed on the pitch.  Problem was, that notion was effectively dispelled as soon as the players got on the pitch, as the 'other SO'D' took over and we would be left baffled by the tactics, substitutions, etc.  

At this early stage, it appears with SC that what you see is what you get, and maybe this makes it easier for the players to understand what is wanted of them, which has got to be a good thing.  Also SC's reputation for taking no **** from the players is probably something that was needed down here!  

It's still early days yet but just maybe, Steve Cotterill will turn out to be a good fit for this club, and at least I've got more optimism for us beating the drop now, than I had under SO'D.

Here's hoping  :fingerscrossed:

I am curious where you have got this from ? It is simply NOT the case. It is the typical 'herd mentality' approach. He is NOT hated by Cheltenham ( in fact to the contrary). He is Not hated at Notts County. (Look it up, 'welcome back at any time', and led them to success which has not been reproduced in recent years.)

He is NOT hated at Notts forest, and when he was appointed here I put up a link to a BBC report from Notts on his sacking (When the rich arabs arrived) and the shock from Forest fans on his sacking.

He also kept Burnley up for 4 years despite having selling best players to balance the books ? No one is saying he is going to be a saviour, but after O Dreary anything has to be better ( I don't look at the league table). The expression we hear is 'A good fit' for the club. He oozes positivity, something that O Dreary did not. I say this as well with a view that O Dreary might have turned things around, but we will never know now !

I have mentioned this before in previous posts that i have good friends in the Nottingham area, one actually played for Notts County in the past ( NOT under SC). His reputation is held in good esteem.

Sometimes we have to balance the account so to speak !

Well said - I've got a Pompey fan friend and SC was popular there too. And.... didn't SC receive a good reception from the home fans at Notts Co last week?

He'll do well for us - he's a good fit for City and his enthusiasm is refreshing.... The sort of positivity Cooper and Johnson brought to the club. Good luck SC.

Thanks to the OP and many of the repliers for this positive thread.

I was personally gutted and frankly disillusioned when SC was announced as the new manager, as it seemed a backward step for the club, and appeared to show a complete lack of ambition.  As with most of us, I resigned myself to continue supporting the club and hope my fears were unfounded and we wouldn't be all suffering cricks in our necks from watching the high balls sailing around high above the pitch.  So far I've been pleasantly surprised and there seems to be more 'real football' being played than there was under SO'D and we're playing with a much higher tempo, positivity and more purpose and the players appear to care, rather than going through the motions.

SO'D was a massive disappointment and just didn't deliver what his reputation suggested he would.  To me, he seemed like a split personality.  On the one hand, there was the intelligent head coach who produced programme notes which convinced you the club were in the hands of a thinker who had an excellent grasp of what was needed on the pitch.  Problem was, that notion was effectively dispelled as soon as the players got on the pitch, as the 'other SO'D' took over and we would be left baffled by the tactics, substitutions, etc.  

At this early stage, it appears with SC that what you see is what you get, and maybe this makes it easier for the players to understand what is wanted of them, which has got to be a good thing.  Also SC's reputation for taking no **** from the players is probably something that was needed down here!  

It's still early days yet but just maybe, Steve Cotterill will turn out to be a good fit for this club, and at least I've got more optimism for us beating the drop now, than I had under SO'D.

Here's hoping  :fingerscrossed:

Cannot agree.

Based on today's tactics it looks as if we are getting more direct and more hoof ball is on display as each games passes by, which makes me think he is introducing long ball tactics through the back door.

With the imminent opening of the transfer window, I can see him signing a load of 6ft plus journeymen, meaning that we will have no other tactic than long ball tactics.

I am genuinely concerned about the 2nd half of the season.

Cannot agree.

Based on today's tactics it looks as if we are getting more direct and more hoof ball is on display as each games passes by, which makes me think he is introducing long ball tactics through the back door.

With the imminent opening of the transfer window, I can see him signing a load of 6ft plus journeymen, meaning that we will have no other tactic than long ball tactics.

I saw just as much long ball stuff under SOD.

I saw just as much long ball stuff under SOD.

Hoof ball i didnt see .what i saw was williams taking every chance he could not to play it forward and putting flint in a position where his only option was to knock it . For me that was down to reid and gillet not taking responsibility and taking it off him. They are the ball playing midfielders and poor flint was too often left with nothing to do but try and pick a long pass. I felt a little sorry for flint as we all know passing is not his game but he took that responsibility and tried.

Was alot of punts aimed at Jet but agree if midfield options arent available then its harsh to blame the defender. If however the manager is instructing players to bypass midfield then it is hoofball. If as we hope we gain in confidence and move upwards, then we'll find out if its tactics or a lack of confidence at the moment.

Against Warsaw I thought we played a well-balanced mix of play with a decent tempo. That'll do me.

The idea of those SoDites who feel 4 touches by defenders before an inevitable whoosh ball once the opposition has organised its 4 banks of 4 is attractive, intelligent football baffles me.

Cannot agree.

Did you count the passes for the first goal? 10+

There is difference between long passes and hoofing. Flint particularly hit some fantastic cross field passes.

Personally I think we are playing a much better passing game at a higher temp under SC than the dreary shute SOD served up for us

Archived