IGNORED

Team Performance

Jordan Tansley

To a man we were excellent today. Even the two players I have criticised to the hills were excellent today (Marvin and Elliot Parish)

Even without the magnificent reception for Louis at the end today was a pleasure. We scored 4 very good goals, we played some really good fluid passing football (Credit, Cotterill. I had my doubts for sure but on this showing he could be a very good manager.) and despite the amount of saves Parish made we defended well restricting Stevenage to shooting from distance for the most part.

The thing that impressed me the most though was our movement. Over-lapping, passing and moving at pace and running the channels. It was no coincidence that this part of our game being so good resulted in such a fine performance and a comprehensive win.

As said, Parish had his best game in a City shirt. He made a couple of dodgy decisions in the first half but they didn't result in anything so he can be forgiven. He does make me a little nervous still but I was delighted that he played the ball out to Williams and Osbourne a lot more today. I think he probably should have done more for their goal as it was at his near post but I'm being a bit pinickity there. 9/10 for him.

Wagstaff set up two goals and ran his socks off. I don't think he's sound enough defensively to play wing back against better sides and Freeman ripped him apart a few times when he moved over to the left. I'd prefer Maloney there but he was good today. 7/10.

Osbourne's passing was iffy at times, but he's solid. Good firm tackler, powerful bringing the ball out of defence and he's brilliant in the air. I'd be delighted if we could make his loan permanent. I hope whoever the new Millwall manager is doesn't want to keep him.

Flint appears to have found some form, he was leading the defence brilliantly and I do like his willingness to bark orders out. Long term he could be the leader to replace Louis. Another good show from him and three at the back definitely brings the best out of him. Well done Aiden, massive improvements. 8/10

Williams was as ever excellent in defence. I really like him and along with Jay he is the signing of the summer. Whatever you say about SOD I think he has brought in some excellent looking players who could well become favourites at AG. He needs to work on his distribution and be more confident bringing the ball out of defence, his long passing is pretty shite but his movement and willingness to create options for Gillett was great to watch, exactly what a ball playing centre back in a fluid team should be doing. 8/10

Cunningham. What a transformation. He's been so bad this season that the guy I sit next to said the other week he had been the biggest disappointment of the season. Crunching tackles, quality delivery and a really good headed goal. He didn't put a foot wrong all game other than losing Freeman once or twice, I'll forgive him that as Freeman was just everywhere. 9/10

Gillett is a player I really rate anyway, he does all the dirty work and uses the ball intelligently every time. He isn't the sort of player AG generally appreciates but today he played really well. He's like a more aggressive and energetic version of LJ, providing the vital pivot between defence midfield and attack that allows our flair players to receive the ball in attacking positions. 7/10

Marvin, a player I berate at times. He often looks like he's lost it completely and let's be honest, even when playing well his passing is often diabolical but today he looked as good as he did in the old days. He covered every blade of grass, he created openings, won the first balls, broke up play, stopped Stevenage having time to play and he burst from midfield with pace and power frequently. I don't think he's got much longer left at BCFC as he is expensive for what he offers but it was nice to see an old favourite play so well. 8/10

Bobby is fast becoming my favourite player at BCFC. He's just so cool on the ball, turning people, taking them on, moving the ball quickly and also throwing his body around for the cause. I thought the tackle he got booked for was a cracking challenge (In the Dolman so could have been wrong) It was good to see him complete 90 minutes although he did fade out. 8/10

JET. What can you say about the lad? He's worth the entry fee on his own. His second goal was just sublime. I didn't even cheer I was so gobsmacked. I feel blessed to have seen him this season, if it is short-lived then I will remember him fondly. Albert was fantastic but JET does things that Albert could only dream about and then sticks it in the corner of the net too. Great assist for Baldock too. 10/10

Baldock probably had his best game for us this season. Never questioned the lads effort but today he worked his bollocks off and pretty much everything came off for him. I thought it was going to be same old same old when he burst through in the first minute and was outmuscled but I was wrong. He was excellent, worked the channels, made all the right runs and actually held it up quite well too. 9/10

The subs came on and made a decent impact too, Maloney was solid down the right and burst forward a couple of times as he does. Looked like he appreciated the run out too. 7/10, Wes carried on the good work of Baldock though wasn't on the pitch long enough for my liking. 7/10. Louis came on to a fantastic and deserved reception. Delighted for him and delighted to have been there to see a true legend make history for the club I love. He played defensive midfield and looked uncomfortable but he game the best moment of the game when he burst forward begging for the ball to be played in by JET. That would have capped off the perfect day. 10/10 for Louis, but that's just biased as he is a god.

Great game and a great feeling leaving AG. I should probably give Cotterill a rating too, I've had my doubts but he's absolutely proving me wrong so far. For continuing with 352, playing Bobby and encouraging a passing game... 10/10.

Never thought I'd give him that mark.

Well done BCFC.

Thanks for the ratings. Those of us who were blackmailed into going to the in-laws in Hertfordshire :ranting:  appreciate the report.

Glad to see the re-emergence of Greg Cunningham continues. From looking tired, disinterested and unfit at the start of the season, he's looking like the exciting player he was when he first came here.

But apparently JET didn't put in a shift and Cotterill is trying to get hoofball in by the backdoor and will be signing 6' journeymen in January to ensure it.

All worries that were understandable, I held many too. The trick is to allow the evidence to change opinions and this kind of performance will help hasten that.

But apparently JET didn't put in a shift and Cotterill is trying to get hoofball in by the backdoor and will be signing 6' journeymen in January to ensure it.

Exactly.

It has only been a few games and things can change very quickly, as a few bad results and we will be back in the brown stuff.

It does indeed seem that we are being more direct and if the players signed during January are 6ft plus journeymen, I think it will be goodbye to the youngsters and hello to full time 100% long ball football.

To a man we were excellent today. Even the two players I have criticised to the hills were excellent today (Marvin and Elliot Parish)

Even without the magnificent reception for Louis at the end today was a pleasure. We scored 4 very good goals, we played some really good fluid passing football (Credit, Cotterill. I had my doubts for sure but on this showing he could be a very good manager.) and despite the amount of saves Parish made we defended well restricting Stevenage to shooting from distance for the most part.

The thing that impressed me the most though was our movement. Over-lapping, passing and moving at pace and running the channels. It was no coincidence that this part of our game being so good resulted in such a fine performance and a comprehensive win.

As said, Parish had his best game in a City shirt. He made a couple of dodgy decisions in the first half but they didn't result in anything so he can be forgiven. He does make me a little nervous still but I was delighted that he played the ball out to Williams and Osbourne a lot more today. I think he probably should have done more for their goal as it was at his near post but I'm being a bit pinickity there. 9/10 for him.

Wagstaff set up two goals and ran his socks off. I don't think he's sound enough defensively to play wing back against better sides and Freeman ripped him apart a few times when he moved over to the left. I'd prefer Maloney there but he was good today. 7/10.

Osbourne's passing was iffy at times, but he's solid. Good firm tackler, powerful bringing the ball out of defence and he's brilliant in the air. I'd be delighted if we could make his loan permanent. I hope whoever the new Millwall manager is doesn't want to keep him.

Flint appears to have found some form, he was leading the defence brilliantly and I do like his willingness to bark orders out. Long term he could be the leader to replace Louis. Another good show from him and three at the back definitely brings the best out of him. Well done Aiden, massive improvements. 8/10

Williams was as ever excellent in defence. I really like him and along with Jay he is the signing of the summer. Whatever you say about SOD I think he has brought in some excellent looking players who could well become favourites at AG. He needs to work on his distribution and be more confident bringing the ball out of defence, his long passing is pretty shite but his movement and willingness to create options for Gillett was great to watch, exactly what a ball playing centre back in a fluid team should be doing. 8/10

Cunningham. What a transformation. He's been so bad this season that the guy I sit next to said the other week he had been the biggest disappointment of the season. Crunching tackles, quality delivery and a really good headed goal. He didn't put a foot wrong all game other than losing Freeman once or twice, I'll forgive him that as Freeman was just everywhere. 9/10

Gillett is a player I really rate anyway, he does all the dirty work and uses the ball intelligently every time. He isn't the sort of player AG generally appreciates but today he played really well. He's like a more aggressive and energetic version of LJ, providing the vital pivot between defence midfield and attack that allows our flair players to receive the ball in attacking positions. 7/10

Marvin, a player I berate at times. He often looks like he's lost it completely and let's be honest, even when playing well his passing is often diabolical but today he looked as good as he did in the old days. He covered every blade of grass, he created openings, won the first balls, broke up play, stopped Stevenage having time to play and he burst from midfield with pace and power frequently. I don't think he's got much longer left at BCFC as he is expensive for what he offers but it was nice to see an old favourite play so well. 8/10

Bobby is fast becoming my favourite player at BCFC. He's just so cool on the ball, turning people, taking them on, moving the ball quickly and also throwing his body around for the cause. I thought the tackle he got booked for was a cracking challenge (In the Dolman so could have been wrong) It was good to see him complete 90 minutes although he did fade out. 8/10

JET. What can you say about the lad? He's worth the entry fee on his own. His second goal was just sublime. I didn't even cheer I was so gobsmacked. I feel blessed to have seen him this season, if it is short-lived then I will remember him fondly. Albert was fantastic but JET does things that Albert could only dream about and then sticks it in the corner of the net too. Great assist for Baldock too. 10/10

Baldock probably had his best game for us this season. Never questioned the lads effort but today he worked his bollocks off and pretty much everything came off for him. I thought it was going to be same old same old when he burst through in the first minute and was outmuscled but I was wrong. He was excellent, worked the channels, made all the right runs and actually held it up quite well too. 9/10

The subs came on and made a decent impact too, Maloney was solid down the right and burst forward a couple of times as he does. Looked like he appreciated the run out too. 7/10, Wes carried on the good work of Baldock though wasn't on the pitch long enough for my liking. 7/10. Louis came on to a fantastic and deserved reception. Delighted for him and delighted to have been there to see a true legend make history for the club I love. He played defensive midfield and looked uncomfortable but he game the best moment of the game when he burst forward begging for the ball to be played in by JET. That would have capped off the perfect day. 10/10 for Louis, but that's just biased as he is a god.

Great game and a great feeling leaving AG. I should probably give Cotterill a rating too, I've had my doubts but he's absolutely proving me wrong so far. For continuing with 352, playing Bobby and encouraging a passing game... 10/10.

Well done BCFC.

Despite being more optimistic with Cotterill at the helm, it's early days. Today was encouraging though.

My ratings for what it's worth;

Parish - Some very good saves and appears a good shot stopper. That said all professional keepers are good shot stoppers. Parish flapped a few high balls/crossers and looked uneasy under pressure. 7/10.

Osborne - Impressive. Would be a good signing for us as a league one club. Strong on the deck and good in the air. Was solid throughout. 7/10.

Flint - Again had a good game. Looked dominant in the air but was left under pressure when in possession of the ball owing to a lack of availability from our midfielders, especially during the first half. 7/10.

Williams - Kind've went under the radar. Went about the task in hand suitably. 7/10.

Wagstaff - For me he's not a wide man, plenty of energy but no real awareness. Sounds silly as he was involved in 2 of the goals. Strange, but feels as though there's something missing with him. 7/10.

Elliot - Broke up play and distribution was satisfactory. As with the other midfielders, especially in the first half, often shied away from showing for the ball. Plenty of energy and bussle though. 7/10.

Gillett - Kept things ticking over and put his foot. Displayed a good range of passing. 8/10.

Reid - In and out of the game for me. Some very nice touches but also dwelled in position and often took the wrong option. Do hope Cotterill persists with him though as he's got very good feet and after a season could be a real prospect for us. 7/10.

Cunningham - Got caught a few times in the first period with Freeman (understandably as he was tricky customer) but grew into the first half. Worked tirelessly, making a number of well timed tackles and showed plenty of drive going forward. 8/10.

JET - Blew hot and cold for the majority of the game. More cold to be honest. Then pops up In the box for a tap in before scoring an absolute beauty. Would've considered bringing on Burns just before JET notched as he looked rather lazy and lethargic. 7/10.

Baldock - Worked his testies off. Closed down the opposition defenders, hounded midfielders and looked a threat albeit a little lightweight at times. His determination for the third goal epitomised his performance. 9/10.

We looked decent in patches, most notably the first 20 and between 65 - 80 minutes. A good team performance which we can build on, that said other than Freeman, Stevenage were very poor. I'll take the win though and four goals, not often we get that down the Gate.

Albeit early to judge, Cotterill appears to bellow a lot of simple directives. Also never heard a manager dish a short rollicking to the players until his little pop at our midfielders for hiding during the first half. Not afraid to tell it how it is it seems.

Much more positive (believe it or not) than when O'Driscoll was in charge. Onwards and upwards.

Didn't see what you saw in Elliot. I think he will be gone in jan. We have gillett, pack and Reid for that central 3 along with wynter as back up who probably now has better legs and more composure than Elliot.

For me, Elliot does a lot of pottering about not really going 100% into things and his passing is questionable. I just thing his position is best taken up by someone else. He was good in the early years but his time with us is coming to an end.

Great post, I agree about Freeman running rings around Wagstaff in the second half (he wasn't getting much joy out of Cunningham), this must have been a tactical switch which almost worked for Stevenage.

JET can be so frustrating, but we have had a few players like that in the past...(Dziekanowski), but you pay good money to see great players!

Exactly.

It has only been a few games and things can change very quickly, as a few bad results and we will be back in the brown stuff.

It does indeed seem that we are being more direct and if the players signed during January are 6ft plus journeymen, I think it will be goodbye to the youngsters and hello to full time 100% long ball football.

What a arse.......... you sound a sort of glass is always half full sort of guy..... NOT. Cheer up..... try getting behind the team/manager/club for once and stop spreading negativity! We won FFS..............

Well done BCFC.

Superb stuff JT.

It's important not to get carried away as it was only against a poor Stevenage side but what an incredible day. For the first time in a long time I felt so proud to be City today. Still buzzing off it.

I thought our movement first half was absolutely superb. I was one of those that didn't want SC but he is fast winning me over. The system is perfect for the players we have and what they have to offer. It also allows the likes of Bobby and JET freedom without isolating Baldock too much but also prevents us from getting exposed.

As mentioned I know it's only Stevenage but **** me I have missed this feel good factor. The atmosphere was great, the football on show was top notch, work rate was great & to be there to witness Louis break the record was just perfect. Today was a bloody good day and one I think we have all needed for a while. Welcome back Greg as well. Absolutely awesome the last few games and deserved his goal today. Let's hope it's not just a honeymoon period. Big Steve is winning me over with this football, system & use of the youngsters. Even his interviews have me in stitches!

See I'm usually an optimist when it comes to football, but I think we were poor for large parts for today, but the scoreline has clouded that view, there was about 10 minutes or so when we couldn't pass at all, and in the first half we sat back after getting the second, but we were clinical going forwards and scored almost every time we went on the attack, but I won't complain if we play poor but win 4-1 every game

i didnt think stevenage were that bad tbh. they werent allowed to get many decent efforts on goal,should have had another goal when they hit the post second half,ball seemed to end up where no one was in front of goal,luckily we got to it first.

wasnt parish brought in as no2 keeper? yes he does flap now and then but made some brave decisions today and made them count.

elliot run his nuts off, in fact,the only ones i could knock today were the moaning fans behind me who started in the first minute, i put up with it til jets first then lost it unfortunately. never done that before and hope i never do again but believe me,this couple were shockingly negative and enough to make you leave at half time.

i didnt think stevenage were that bad tbh. they werent allowed to get many decent efforts on goal,should have had another goal when they hit the post second half,ball seemed to end up where no one was in front of goal,luckily we got to it first.

wasnt parish brought in as no2 keeper? yes he does flap now and then but made some brave decisions today and made them count.

elliot run his nuts off, in fact,the only ones i could knock today were the moaning fans behind me who started in the first minute, i put up with it til jets first then lost it unfortunately. never done that before and hope i never do again but believe me,this couple were shockingly negative and enough to make you leave at half time.

I think marv had a vey good game as well today, I don't think anyone was particularly bad for us today, I just don't think the overall performance was as good as it's being made out to be

The way we started the game was superb and the first half was well controlled. The opening 15 minutes of the second half was abysmal but in fairness we pulled ourselves together, stuck at it and then JET did what he does best, stick the ball in the net. Overall it's been a great few days with 6 points and some promising signs. 

I must say that I've not been Baldock's biggest fan of late but I thought he was excellent today. Took his chance as well and played a superb part in JET's first goal. Long may their goals continue and hopefully those two can help fire us through what will surely prove to be a difficult January. 

in fact,the only ones i could knock today were the moaning fans behind me who started in the first minute, i put up with it til jets first then lost it unfortunately. never done that before and hope i never do again but believe me,this couple were shockingly negative and enough to make you leave at half time.

Red Squirrel - an animted and energetic performance typifying the new found drive in the team. Very vocal throughout and not afraid to go in hard when it was required. A cracking two footed challenge in the first half taking out two of the opposition in one go and getting the home crowd to their feet. Definitely bossed the middle and on this no nonsense showing a must for next week. 9/10.

4 1 flattered us, from going 2 0 up to about 10 mins to half time we were hanging on. Parish flapped at 2 crosses and maybe our luck has changed 3 or 4 times stevenage had scrambles in our box and the ball hit our players and went away from goal.

Last 10 first half we seemed to have weathered the storm and were back on top.

Then second half until we scored we were awful, stevenage were camped in our half hit the post 30 seconds before our third. Put some really good balls in box which flashed across our box and luckily no one got a touch from either side.

We then scored 2 out 3rd great fighting by baldock to get down the wing and put the ball on a plate for jet.

Our 4th great break and great running and movement by wagstaff to release jet and then take players away from him.

Stevenage scored straight away and then till full time we were poor.

I saw it as we were lethal in front of goal today, some great attacking play by us but we were lucky to only concede 1.

I'm hoping today was a change of our luck and we have some good luck now and no nasty deflections into our goal which was happening a few weeks ago have gone.

All in all I would say a 6 out of 10 performance with our keeper mom.

4 1 flattered us, from going 2 0 up to about 10 mins to half time we were hanging on. Parish flapped at 2 crosses and maybe our luck has changed 3 or 4 times stevenage had scrambles in our box and the ball hit our players and went away from goal.

Last 10 first half we seemed to have weathered the storm and were back on top.

Then second half until we scored we were awful, stevenage were camped in our half hit the post 30 seconds before our third. Put some really good balls in box which flashed across our box and luckily no one got a touch from either side.

We then scored 2 out 3rd great fighting by baldock to get down the wing and put the ball on a plate for jet.

Our 4th great break and great running and movement by wagstaff to release jet and then take players away from him.

Stevenage scored straight away and then till full time we were poor.

I saw it as we were lethal in front of goal today, some great attacking play by us but we were lucky to only concede 1.

I'm hoping today was a change of our luck and we have some good luck now and no nasty deflections into our goal which was happening a few weeks ago have gone.

All in all I would say a 6 out of 10 performance with our keeper mom.

youre a barrel of fun I bet

youre a barrel of fun I bet

Why you say that?

When we played earlier in season did ok and lost to og deflected shots, said we were unlucky and people were slagging off the team. We win 4 1 and all is ok, we were lucky to win 4 1 and just saying it as it was.

Like I said I hope Steve cotterell has given us a change of luck. I bet he is telling the team on another day give opposition that many chances they will score a lot more than stevenage did.

Archived