IGNORED

Williams & Flint

Jasper Testimitanu

Williams and Flint seem to be forming as solid a partnership as we've seen for a while.

Is this the impact of Cotterill?

Did anyone notice from a positional point of view every time we had a goal kick both would come short to each side of the box then push up high once the kick was taken?

Giving us the option of playing ball from the back!

Seems like what SC is working on off the pitch is temporarily working on the back four!

I think Osbourne makes a difference too. With him there we've got two players - him and Williams - who read the game well, can play a bit on the ground etc - and leave Flint to win the long high balls into our box which is what he's good at. I'm still worried every time someone runs at Flint, or whenever he's facing any direction other than up the pitch!

I am still going to take some convincing on Flint. For me his distribution is still poor.

However the defence looks more resolute and stable than it ever was and Osbourne and Williams have been very good.

I actually thought some of Williams passing today was horrendous.

Williams and Flint seem to be forming as solid a partnership as we've seen for a while.

Is this the impact of Cotterill?

Did anyone notice from a positional point of view every time we had a goal kick both would come short to each side of the box then push up high once the kick was taken?

Giving us the option of playing ball from the back!

Seems like what SC is working on off the pitch is temporarily working on the back four!

agree the positioning has been good, theyve grasped the 3-5-2 very well especially williams who reads the game so well. Good options from goal kicks too, where pack slots into that quarterback role. Well done SC

Would have liked to see wynter come on for Elliot who again was a bit of a headless chicken but bringing on Moloney for wagstaff was the right move and everyone wanted to see burns. There is also no question about Carey's appearance, especially at 4-1.

I really do not get the love-in for Wynter. I saw nothing good in the few games he played early in the season.

On topic, I agree, I think they're a good partnership, but can we dispel the myth that the formation is 352 please? It's 442 with 3 CMs and no LM.

chuck Osborne in and we have a good threesome!

Really like the look of our new 3-5-2 formation but would like to see Moloney/Bryan for Wagstaff

Wagstaff offers more going forward than Maloney, but cant defend as well. Certainly at home him starting over Maloney against less than stellar teams seems a reasonable ploy. Bryan is left sided, and I dont ever see him featuring on the right.

I really do not get the love-in for Wynter. I saw nothing good in the few games he played early in the season.

On topic, I agree, I think they're a good partnership, but can we dispel the myth that the formation is 352 please? It's 442 with 3 CMs and no LM.

It was absolutely 352. Even the club announced that before the game.

Jesus.

It was absolutely 352. Even the club announced that before the game.

Jesus.

Hmmm

i do see what Killa is saying JT

i know it was officially 352.... but for me if it is then it is 352 without real conviction at the moment !!

i  think the instruction is that if Waggy goes on a mazy then Cunningham tucks back in to left back and vice versa

when i played... the manager called it the "see saw" and lectured both full backs to comply with that scenario during play to provide cover.

in theory the central defenders just all move over to the right or left depending on who's on the move and one full back covers.

rarely did i see both full backs on the edge of the opposing box in the same move.... isn't it ironic then that those two combined to get the first goal and shows perhaps the potential of this formation

To be fair it has to be said that versus Freeman (best player on the pitch imo) it was a tall order for both wing backs.

On the subject of Williams the yellow card he was given looked a shocking decision.

Anyone else think it was a foul and a booking?

Saw somewhere that his yellow yesterday means he's unavailable for New Years Day?  If true, that is a loss; he's probably one of the more difficult players to replace.

Wasn't there yesterday, but attended Boxing Day, and Williams looks to be an excellent young player who (despite not being the finished article) certainly doesn't look like a lad playing his first full season.

All three centre backs looked decent Boxing Day, and being that we've only shipped one from open play in the last three games (two with the Notts County 'penalty') we've certainly tightened up in that area.

Orient will be a stern test, so trying to think how we might replace Williams in a 352 is tricky; part of me thinks throw Moloney in and got to a back 4, but then with Carey having lasted 90 in our last away game, maybe he'd step up?

Hmmm

i do see what Killa is saying JT

i know it was officially 352.... but for me if it is then it is 352 without real conviction at the moment !!

i  think the instruction is that if Waggy goes on a mazy then Cunningham tucks back in to left back and vice versa

when i played... the manager called it the "see saw" and lectured both full backs to comply with that scenario during play to provide cover.

in theory the central defenders just all move over to the right or left depending on who's on the move and one full back covers.

rarely did i see both full backs on the edge of the opposing box in the same move.... isn't it ironic then that those two combined to get the first goal and shows perhaps the potential of this formation

To be fair it has to be said that versus Freeman (best player on the pitch imo) it was a tall order for both wing backs.

That's how 3-5-2 is played, you wouldn't often send both wing backs forward at the same time

Williams has a lot of potential as a all round defensive footballer, he can pass well (though missed a few yesterday) is comfortable in possession and looks like he can develop and address his weaknesses.

Flint is a stopper and a ball winner, his distribution is shocking sometimes and postionally he can be suspect, I can understand why his price tag was questioned by some.

Overall though they have a good balance of qualities and could work well together with improved communication.

That's how 3-5-2 is played, you wouldn't often send both wing backs forward at the same time

I beg to differ

That is how 442 is played

Why would you leave a full back with 3 defenders playing against most teams these days who play with one striker and one in behind the hole

It's negative and invites far too much space in the midfield

Which is what we saw yesterday for long periods

I beg to differ

That is how 442 is played

Why would you leave a full back with 3 defenders playing against most teams these days who play with one striker and one in behind the hole

It's negative and invites far too much space in the midfield

Which is what we saw yesterday for long periods

A lot of the teams we've been up against have opted to play 2 up front. 3-5-2 is dangerous in some ways as losing possession and catching too many midfielders up field can be costly. Cunningham and Wagstaff had to track back everytime and if they couldn't get there in time, all the centre backs could do was clear the ball into touch.

Archived