IGNORED

Season Review - Half Way Point

Harry

As someone once sang "Whooooooaaaaaaa - we're half way there".  But are we Living On A Prayer??

Not sure if anyone had started a thread on this topic yet, so thought I'd give it a pop.  23 games played and every single team has now been seen.  How do we shape up? Who do we think are the best sides / players we've faced? How could things have been different?  How will the next 23 games pan out?

So, 23 played.  Won 4, Drawn 10, Lost 9.

The wins against Crawley, Carlisle, Walsall & Stevenage have all been well deserved (and relieving!!)

The draws - Bradford, MK Dongs, Gillingham, Shrewsbury, Colchester, Vale, Oldham, Tranmere, Orient & Notts.

Based on performances & chances in those games, I could argue we could, on another day, have turned MK, Gills, Colchester & Vale into victories.  Possibly even Orient.  Another 8-10 points could have been in the bag from these games.

The defeats - Cov, Wolfs, Peterboro, Swindle, Crewe, Brentford, Sheff U, Preston & Rotherham.

Some woeful displays in some of these games, and we probably didn't deserve much more out of these - possibly could argue we deserved a draw at least v Sheff & maybe Swindle.

That said, only the P'boro game saw us lose by more than one goal, so we haven't actually been far off in most of these games, yet far enough.

So, 22 points from 23 games so far.  With a bit of luck/composure/concentration/decisions we maybe could have had anything up to about 30 - 34 points and been healthily mid-table.

Over the last 10 games (under both managers) we seem to be getting things together.  In the last 10 games we've only conceded 10 goals.  That's better than all bar 5 teams in the league over the same period.

We've only lost 2 of the last 6 home games and only lost 2 of the last 6 away games.

Our form over 10 games is comfortably mid-table.

The 2nd half of the season is tougher on paper though - only 10 at home and 13 away (including trips to 7 of the current top 10!!)  So brace yourselves for a bumpy ride.

As for the opposition we've faced.  Personally, and predictably, I thought Wolves & Peterboro were both impressive.  But I was also very impressed with Rotherham.  Cov were exciting and Oldham didn't look like a team that are bottom half.

Crawley have been by far the worst team we've faced, and based on how we totally outplayed them I can't see how Port Vale are up in 8th??

We've all lorded over Luke Freeman since yesterday's performance and he does stand out as one of the better players we've faced.  But I was also hugely impressed by Ben Pringle, Nouha Dicko & Kieran Agard of Rotherham.

Other standouts for me - Britt Assombalonga for Peterboro.  Obviously Bakary Sako at Wolves.  Jack Grealish at Notts County.

Others worthy of a mention - James Tavernier of Rotherham, Luke Garbutt at Colchester, Genseric Kusungu of Oldham, Frank Moussa at Cov.

We've got a job on to save ourselves from the drop. History suggests at least 48 points to survive.  The home games v Carlisle, Tranmere, Gills, Notts & Crewe are biggies to try to get us 15 of the required 26 points required.  For the record, I think we'll do it, and finish 18th. :fingerscrossed:

Folks - I don't want this to turn into a bash the last boss / current boss / players type thread.  Just your thoughts on the games, results, opposition & players so far + what's in store.

As someone once sang "Whooooooaaaaaaa - we're half way there". But are we Living On A Prayer??

Not sure if anyone had started a thread on this topic yet, so thought I'd give it a pop. 23 games played and every single team has now been seen. How do we shape up? Who do we think are the best sides / players we've faced? How could things have been different? How will the next 23 games pan out?

So, 23 played. Won 4, Drawn 10, Lost 9.

The wins against Crawley, Carlisle, Walsall & Stevenage have all been well deserved (and relieving!!)

The draws - Bradford, MK Dongs, Gillingham, Shrewsbury, Colchester, Vale, Oldham, Tranmere, Orient & Notts.

Based on performances & chances in those games, I could argue we could, on another day, have turned MK, Gills, Colchester & Vale into victories. Possibly even Orient. Another 8-10 points could have been in the bag from these games.

The defeats - Cov, Wolfs, Peterboro, Swindle, Crewe, Brentford, Sheff U, Preston & Rotherham.

Some woeful displays in some of these games, and we probably didn't deserve much more out of these - possibly could argue we deserved a draw at least v Sheff & maybe Swindle.

That said, only the P'boro game saw us lose by more than one goal, so we haven't actually been far off in most of these games, yet far enough.

So, 22 points from 23 games so far. With a bit of luck/composure/concentration/decisions we maybe could have had anything up to about 30 - 34 points and been healthily mid-table.

Over the last 10 games (under both managers) we seem to be getting things together. In the last 10 games we've only conceded 10 goals. That's better than all bar 5 teams in the league over the same period.

We've only lost 2 of the last 6 home games and only lost 2 of the last 6 away games.

Our form over 10 games is comfortably mid-table.

The 2nd half of the season is tougher on paper though - only 10 at home and 13 away (including trips to 7 of the current top 10!!) So brace yourselves for a bumpy ride.

As for the opposition we've faced. Personally, and predictably, I thought Wolves & Peterboro were both impressive. But I was also very impressed with Rotherham. Cov were exciting and Oldham didn't look like a team that are bottom half.

Crawley have been by far the worst team we've faced, and based on how we totally outplayed them I can't see how Port Vale are up in 8th??

We've all lorded over Luke Freeman since yesterday's performance and he does stand out as one of the better players we've faced. But I was also hugely impressed by Ben Pringle, Nouha Dicko & Kieran Agard of Rotherham.

Other standouts for me - Britt Assombalonga for Peterboro. Obviously Bakary Sako at Wolves. Jack Grealish at Notts County.

Others worthy of a mention - James Tavernier of Rotherham, Luke Garbutt at Colchester, Genseric Kusungu of Oldham, Frank Moussa at Cov.

We've got a job on to save ourselves from the drop. History suggests at least 48 points to survive. The home games v Carlisle, Tranmere, Gills, Notts & Crewe are biggies to try to get us 15 of the required 26 points required. For the record, I think we'll do it, and finish 18th. :fingerscrossed:

Folks - I don't want this to turn into a bash the last boss / current boss / players type thread. Just your thoughts on the games, results, opposition & players so far + what's in store.

I love you Harry. If anyone ever suggests your posts lack effort/detail/evidence then they need shooting.

I only apologise that the image I have of you in my head is that of statto from Fantasy Football. I'm sure you're much cooler.

I only apologise that the image I have of you in my head is that of statto from Fantasy Football. I'm sure you're much cooler.

Na- he ain't.

Our start to the season was characterised by individual errors and a porous defence. We were always in games but failed to turn enough draws into wins.

As many of us predicted however now the side has settled down and we aren't conceding as many we're picking up the results that we maybe deserved at times earlier in the season.

January is big for Cotterill and I will be watching closely the moves he makes as I'm a little apprehensive.

Yes we have 13 away games but like you say only about two/three teams have really looked any good this season. Walsall were 8th when we played them and I don't fear our trip to the Bescott one bit.

Fair assessment.

We should never have lost at Swindon and Coventry, we also were unlucky to lose to Sheff Utd and Preston.

Interesting that we have only lost one game by more than a goal. To me it shows we have never been too far away from turning the corner.

Quite absurd that we are 21st with a -3 goal difference. I honestly think there's not much wrong with our squad. I hope SC doesn't cock it up in the transfer window.

Wasn't it brentford who only had 2 shots on target against us and they both were deflected in?- I'd say from that that we didn't deserve to lose that day, especially when we were much better than them in the first half

We only had 1 shot on target ourselves in that game.

We lost 2-1, moral of the story?

Might have been drinking too much over festive period but still think we can perhaps get the 6th spot & make the p/offs, as Hazza mentioned no one has really taken us apart and we did well against Walsall who are right up there.

We have two quality strikers and it now appears the defensive errors that dogged the first half of the season have largely been eradicated.

Team spirit appears to be good so if we can add a couple of decent signings in Jan, and you know who staying with us, I can only see us going one way :fingerscrossed:

Might have been drinking too much over festive period but still think we can perhaps get the 6th spot & make the p/offs, as Hazza mentioned no one has really taken us apart and we did well against Walsall who are right up there.

We have two quality strikers and it now appears the defensive errors that dogged the first half of the season have largely been eradicated.

Team spirit appears to be good so if we can add a couple of decent signings in Jan, and you know who staying with us, I can only see us going one way :fingerscrossed:

You definitely have been drinking a bit...

At current rate 6th place would make 72.8 points. We would need 51 points from our last 23 games. 

No chance. I still think we might just sneak top half if January goes well though.

I love you Harry. If anyone ever suggests your posts lack effort/detail/evidence then they need shooting.

Ha ha, thanks Fordy.  Does this help?

hipnerd.gif

Archived