IGNORED

Cbe, (Merged)

gossy

Yeah, the shirking of paying his taxes (like the rest of us have to) will no doubt be the reason.

And the fact that he hasn't actually done anything for society worthy of recognition

What do you mean he hasn't actually done anything for society? He's provided lucrative employment for a lot of people who otherwise would be unemployable e.g. Jody Morris, Nicky Hunt etc etc

As SL and Peter Hargreaves have between them paid the probably the highest personal tax in the area for years let alone employed hundreds of people (who all pay tax)  and paid millions in business tax ...who can blame him for moving to protect what he has managed to earn..Not one person on this site would do any different and dont pretend that you would...

As SL and Peter Hargreaves have between them paid the probably the highest personal tax in the area for years let alone employed hundreds of people (who all pay tax)  and paid millions in business tax ...who can blame him for moving to protect what he has managed to earn..Not one person on this site would do any different and dont pretend that you would...

Any theories as to why SL hasn't received a CBE then? Do we know if Hargrieves has also migrated to a tax haven? If he hasn't, why should we assume that every member on this site would?

Any theories as to why SL hasn't received a CBE then? Do we know if Hargrieves has also migrated to a tax haven? If he hasn't, why should we assume that every member on this site would?

This is what he thinks about paying tax     http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/Bristol-billionaire-Peter-Hargreaves-argues/story-20383027-detail/story.html?ito=email_newsletter_bristolpost

No, that's what he thinks about company taxation, not personal taxation and I'm sure he has a point. The likes of Starbucks and Voda only have the organisation they do because of the (relatively) high levels of UK corporation tax compared to their chosen bases. As far as personal tax is concerned Peter Hargreaves is based in the UK and am sure that he will pay all UK taxes (income tax, CGT, Inheritance etc..). Steve has decided to move to Guernsey and drastically reduce the amount of personal tax he pays. Nothing illegal and completely his shout, but he shouldn't expect the thanks of a grateful nation for doing it. 

Peter Hargreaves, co-founder of broker Hargreaves Lansdown, has received a CBE for services to business innovation, financial services and to the city of Bristol

Peter stayed in the country paid his taxes and stayed faithful to his adopted home town.

Steve sold up and quit the company/country and ran off to a tax haven

No suprises one has honours the other didnt.

I can't say blame SL for moving I would when I've paid as much tax as him & it gets wasted also when big companies get away with paying SWEET FA I salute him as the government are bunch of toffs who not got a clue how it is for us working class, roll on the revolution as it'll be the working & lower against the upper meaning only 1 winner I hope :-D

As SL and Peter Hargreaves have between them paid the probably the highest personal tax in the area for years let alone employed hundreds of people (who all pay tax) and paid millions in business tax ...who can blame him for moving to protect what he has managed to earn..Not one person on this site would do any different and dont pretend that you would...

sl is a greedy meglamainanic who has asset stripped this club. particularly the stadium. Please understand this club is a very useful tax offset. when he or jr are bored of it or have no more use for it then you will see his true colours.

as for moving to the geunsey, it was the UK that gave him the education and the structure to earn his money and for the sake of following generations he has moral responsibility to pay his tax. afterall to quote another billionaire (Branson) you can only eat 3 meals a day.

Peter stayed in the country paid his taxes and stayed faithful to his adopted home town.

Steve sold up and quit the company/country and ran off to a tax haven

No suprises one has honours the other didnt.

Would any of you really stay in the country on a hope that you may receive an OBE.... I'd rather have the extra cash :)

Most politicians have jobs high up in companies telling them how to get around paying tax so I'd start on them first as they're the ones letting companies & people rape our country of everything, come on what eejit sells off our national services to companies that only got their share holders in mind allowing them to bleed us dry with sky high prices all because said services wasn't earning at that time but funny how when sold they can make them work it totally ****ING SUCKS BIG TIME, NHS will go the same way before long as well this country truly has lost the GREAT out of great Britain.

Most politicians have jobs high up in companies telling them how to get around paying tax so I'd start on them first as they're the ones letting companies & people rape our country of everything, come on what eejit sells off our national services to companies that only got their share holders in mind allowing them to bleed us dry with sky high prices all because said services wasn't earning at that time but funny how when sold they can make them work it totally ****ING SUCKS BIG TIME, NHS will go the same way before long as well this country truly has lost the GREAT out of great Britain.

Dont give me that bollox.  The NHS needs a rocket up it's the wastfull ass.  I waited 4 months only to have the same exam again at the hospital as I had at my GP's only to be told I need to wait another 4 months for my hernia repair in the mean time the hernia is twice its starting size.  Oh and my NHS trust didnt authorise my hospital the right amount of money so that has to go through before I can have it repaired.  My wife is african and thinks the level of service is shocking...  thats got to tell you somthing about the NHS.

The NHS is a wastefull mess and needs fixing,  I know there are plenty of good people who work for the NHS, just if the organisation were a horse I would have it shot.

Don't need to tell me they've completely *****d my back doing my hip replacement not giving me a in step for my shorter leg when growing up doing it when I was only 25 when still growing causing my the opposite leg to be shorter now as males can keep growing til 28/30, I now can't hardly walk my back has wear on the 1 side from leaning to one side when growing up, my neck also *****d due to them oh & my other hip is now screwed as well so all in all they've ruined my life would been better not having it as they only like giving you 2 replacements in your life & as they only last 10/15 years depending on how active you're & I been very active walking as much as I can as use to enjoy it but now struggle to get 50 yards have had it done 8 years so can see it only lasting another 3/5 years, my gp is as much use as a chocolate tea pot taking me off the only pain killers that made my life at least bearable & also stopping me from working so yes I know a ******* lot about the piss poor NHS thanks so feel for you bud as I hate it but not in the right boat to go private.

Oh bugger. You have only gone and stumped him without putting any thought into it! :)

Dont give me that bollox. The NHS needs a rocket up it's the wastfull ass. I waited 4 months only to have the same exam again at the hospital as I had at my GP's only to be told I need to wait another 4 months for my hernia repair in the mean time the hernia is twice its starting size. Oh and my NHS trust didnt authorise my hospital the right amount of money so that has to go through before I can have it repaired. My wife is african and thinks the level of service is shocking... thats got to tell you somthing about the NHS.

The NHS is a wastefull mess and needs fixing, I know there are plenty of good people who work for the NHS, just if the organisation were a horse I would have it shot.

Damn right. Complete wasteful mess. Too many middle managers. Too much money spent on cleaning contractors where it was once the job of the nurses on the ward. I coukd go on. Too many people go on about how great nurses are. That was once tge case. Nursing has changed beyond all recognition. And imo for the worse. For far too many reasons than a forum like this has got time for.

I've only wized thru the last few posts, but from what I've read it seems that Steve Lansdown is responsible for all of the failings of the NHS. Bloody hell - no wonder he didn't get a new year honour!

I've volunteered an am now a trainee/future employee for the NHS.

My opinion is that it certainly does need a "rocket up its ass".

Think the Avon and Wiltshire Partnership came fourth in the bid for the latest contract, everyone either is, or should be, shitting themselves, so that's good news.

People have to actually put a justified shift in, in the private sector. Not talking about the foot-soldiers, specifically.

Not that any of this is SL's responsibility, obviously.

sl is a greedy meglamainanic who has asset stripped this club. particularly the stadium. Please understand this club is a very useful tax offset. when he or jr are bored of it or have no more use for it then you will see his true colours.

as for moving to the geunsey, it was the UK that gave him the education and the structure to earn his money and for the sake of following generations he has moral responsibility to pay his tax. afterall to quote another billionaire (Branson) you can only eat 3 meals a day.

I've read some clap trap on these forums, but that's got to be the biggest load of ill informed nonsense we will see for the whole year, and we are only on day 1.

You'd be better off not quoting one tax exile, to try and put down another. ..

Peter Hargreaves has received a CBE (I Have been told)

Does anybody know if Steve Lansdown has got one?

I dont know what Peter Hargreaves has done? He does not like sport and I dont know of anything he is involved in

Steve Lansdown has put lots of his money into BCFC as well as Bristol with employment The same as PH

Archived