IGNORED

Diving

glastonred

I started watching live football in 1967, and I can remember when diving at football matches began here in England (or I think I can!).

I'm pretty sure it first came to the public's attention when Francis Lee returned from a spell in Italy, in the late-Sixties (one of the first British players to spend time abroad). After he returned he received huge criticism for blatantly diving whenever he had the chance. There were articles in the press saying how we should resist this foreign influence, as Britain had a strong, and deserved, reputation for fair play. When more and more players returned from playing on the continent the practice gradually spread, and became a familiar sight during matches.

Even after all these years we in Britain still find it hard to witness such blatant dishonesty, as was evidenced yesterday when Watford's Fabbrini tried to force a penalty, and was subsequently booed every time he touched the ball. 

It is extremely frustrating as with yesterday's example, you could just see he wasn't even going to attempt to get past the man and have a shot. Was playing for the penalty from the instant he got the ball. Just want to see honesty really. As a defender, it's frustrating as if you back off, they could score, if you try sort him out he goes over the challenge he was hoping for looking for the penalty. Should have been a booking for simulation to give him a warning about doing it again. This did not happen ad he continued to play act on a couple of other occasions

I started watching live football in 1967, and I can remember when diving at football matches began here in England (or I think I can!).

I'm pretty sure it first came to the public's attention when Francis Lee returned from a spell in Italy, in the late-Sixties (one of the first British players to spend time abroad). After he returned he received huge criticism for blatantly diving whenever he had the chance. There were articles in the press saying how we should resist this foreign influence, as Britain had a strong, and deserved, reputation for fair play. When more and more players returned from playing on the continent the practice gradually spread, and became a familiar sight during matches.

Even after all these years we in Britain still find it hard to witness such blatant dishonesty, as was evidenced yesterday when Watford's Fabbrini tried to force a penalty, and was subsequently booed every time he touched the ball. 

Probably true except Francis Lee never played in Italy.

and it was minuscule in comparison, now it happens in every single game.

Francis Lee is the first Cheat that I can remember but now it is common place, Stan Collymore says that when playing for England he got in a clash with a defender and at half time the players and manager all lambasted him for not going down ! You have to remember that his manager at the time was Brian Clough who would never support cheating. 

Archived