IGNORED

Hotwells/cliftonwood Resident Parking Zone

bigphilgj

Dear friends,

This should be of interest to anyone who parks in CliftonWood or Hotwells on a Saturday. Simply from observation I presume there are some fans who drive up from outside the area, park up and then pop in to the Nova Scotia/Rose of Denmark/Merchants Arms (just the ones I see on my walk over!) before heading off to the game. If you do - then the Council plan to stop you. They are seeking to impose a Resident's Parking Scheme on the entire are that operates Monday to Saturday 9am to 7pm. The only rationale I can see for Saturday is to stop City fans parking in the area before walking over to Ashton Gate (it is not like we have lots of other facilities to visit!) I am not necessarily opposed to RPS's/RPZ's as a matter of principle. I can see they may work in areas with huge influxes of commuters (try anywhere around the Triangle!) We don't have this problem in Hotwells - just too many cars and too few spaces.

Anyways - if you do park over this side of the River and walk over - you will not be able to under the current proposal. If you fancy looking at the plans they are at:

http://www.bristol.gov.uk/sites/default/files/documents/transport_and_streets/road_maintenance/roads_and_pavements_maintenance/Notice%20of%20intent%20Cliftonwood%20and%20Hotwells%20RPS.pdf

Deadline is January 7th - ie tomorrow.

The person/office dealing with responses is at:

tro.comments@bristol.gov.uk

Reference for scheme: CAE/NMT/P/8 RPS for Hotwells

Regards,

Phil

...just to be clear - I live in Hotwells and we do not have a 'problem' with City fans parking in the area and walking over - they have very little overall impact. Indeed we do not have a problem an RPS/Z would fix - we have peak parking in the evening and overnight - which the scheme would not cover. I think overall we benefit from City fans coming into the area on a Saturday (and will benefit when the rugby fans do likewise next year). The pubs and cafes in the area benefit from fans popping in on the way over.

What worries me longer term - and should worry the club and owners - is this stealth tax may simply push people who park in Hotwells on matchday out of the area/nearer the ground. This will harm the local economy and also provide an excuse to impose an RPS/Z on southville and bedminster - and so on and so on....as they can't put the council tax up much this is the best jolly wheeze to squeeze a lot more money out of us at absolutely no cost to the Council (beyond painting parking areas).

Archived