IGNORED

Killa Gone. Official.

B-Rizzle

Kilkenny and Hunt are on a different level of failure compared to the likes of Shorey etc.

Kilkenny was beyond abysmal for us.

Who said this back in june?

"Now Neil Kilkenny has largely disappointed us since signing from Leeds, however, there is ONE reason why he will be important for us in league 1......He can pass a football.

Watching the league 1 playoffs I was really interested to see the quality of football among the top sides within that league, where I expected to see teams full of confidence playing relatively good, lower championship quality football.....And I was right to an extent, there were teams full of confidence......however, none of them seemingly knew how to play "football", in fact, I was really surprised at just how poor the quality of football was, as no-one could pass a football, with only Yeovil looking OK on the ball. Now, for all his pointing, and all the negativity surrounding him, there is NO DOUBT that Kilkenny can pass a football, and he can dictate play in a midfield 5, something he has shown, all be it not often enough, for us so far.

I think he will be vital for us this season. In what seems a much lower quality of football I think we will see the best of him, especially considering Wynter has grown up within the Arsenal set up so can hopefully pass a football too. 

With their being dead wood in our squad (Elliott, Pearson etc), I for one really think that Kilkenny could prove to be a good asset for us this season".

"Now Neil Kilkenny has largely disappointed us since signing from Leeds, however, there is ONE reason why he will be important for us in league 1......He can pass a football.

Watching the league 1 playoffs I was really interested to see the quality of football among the top sides within that league, where I expected to see teams full of confidence playing relatively good, lower championship quality football.....And I was right to an extent, there were teams full of confidence......however, none of them seemingly knew how to play "football", in fact, I was really surprised at just how poor the quality of football was, as no-one could pass a football, with only Yeovil looking OK on the ball. Now, for all his pointing, and all the negativity surrounding him, there is NO DOUBT that Kilkenny can pass a football, and he can dictate play in a midfield 5, something he has shown, all be it not often enough, for us so far.

I think he will be vital for us this season. In what seems a much lower quality of football I think we will see the best of him, especially considering Wynter has grown up within the Arsenal set up so can hopefully pass a football too. 

With their being dead wood in our squad (Elliott, Pearson etc), I for one really think that Kilkenny could prove to be a good asset for us this season".

I don't know who said it but, given he's now playing regularly for a team that have surged into the play-offs since he signed, whoever said it certainly wasn't daft.

Like Skuse and Bolasie before him, he's not shown a lot for us but nonetheless seems to be having the last laugh...

I don't know who said it but, given he's now playing regularly for a team that have surged into the play-offs since he signed, whoever said it certainly wasn't daft.

Like Skuse and Bolasie before him, he's not shown a lot for us but nonetheless seems to be having the last laugh...

As I said before the same thing happened at Leeds until they suffered a slump, be interesting to see what happens if Preston suffer a slump.

Bolaisie wasn't given a proper chance and Skuse had been treading water for 2/3 seasons.

PS:- it was someone who now says he was way beyond abysmal for us.

Wow you must of spent ages searching for that.

I gave him a chance at start of season....he blew it. Simple.

Interesting to see Preston's fans views on him. For the record, these are not views I hold!

He has been a breath of fresh air in our midfield. We've lacked a midfielder who can play a first time pass for a season or two now, and they are crucial to playing counter attacking football as we do away from home.

I've been quietly impressed with what i've seen of kilkenny so far.

He always ALWAYS wants the ball (you frequently see him dropping deep to get it off the CBs) and has an impressive range of passing once he has it. He offers a completely different skillset to Welsh and Keane and as, hopefully, Brownhill continues to develop, we should have a pool of central midfielders to suit most formations and situations.

+1. It's a bit like chess - seeing two, three, or more moves ahead. That's great as long as he has players around him who are on the same page; it would appear that he has right now.

Sorry mate, not having James in that list

People forget the two penalty saves away at Reading then?

Good or bad at times but at least he made a difference not like Hunt or Harewood.

Sorry, Swede, you got me wrong there. I was putting the four suggested in order. I categorically would not put David James in a list of our worst players ever. I completely agree with you.

People forget he had, probably, the worst defence we've had in decades in front of him. He was probably saving more shots that at any other point in his career. He got far too much stick for my liking. 

Interesting to see Preston's fans views on him. For the record, these are not views I hold!

He has been a breath of fresh air in our midfield. We've lacked a midfielder who can play a first time pass for a season or two now, and they are crucial to playing counter attacking football as we do away from home.

I've been quietly impressed with what i've seen of kilkenny so far.

He always ALWAYS wants the ball (you frequently see him dropping deep to get it off the CBs) and has an impressive range of passing once he has it. He offers a completely different skillset to Welsh and Keane and as, hopefully, Brownhill continues to develop, we should have a pool of central midfielders to suit most formations and situations.

+1. It's a bit like chess - seeing two, three, or more moves ahead. That's great as long as he has players around him who are on the same page; it would appear that he has right now.

To be honest this is how I always felt about him - That if we had a good team around him it might of worked out. However we didn't and he never looked up for the fight and got worse the more the crowd got at him for it.

Nothing personal against the guy, It didn't work out and a move was best all round for everyone.

Sorry mate, not having James in that list

People forget the two penalty saves away at Reading then?

Good or bad at times but at least he made a difference not like Hunt or Harewood.

But James disappointed so as expectations of him were so high. The club wanted a name signing to excite people, but what we got was a player who was clearly over-the-hill and to some extent going through the motions, failing to hold simple catches sometimes. And of course he was on more money than everyone else.

So, yep, in terms of disappointments I think he ranks above Kilkenny as somuch more was expected.

The thing with Kilkenny is that he could have been a real hero or us. He was a senior pro and could have commanded the midfield if he wanted to apply himself. Instead he wandered around pointing and moaning. He let us down, and himself too. I guess he is lucky Preston have taken the chance on him, and so far it seems he is paying back their commitment. Obviously his days were numbered here and he needed a contract elsewhere.

Not a player I would rise out of my seat and applaud if he ever returns to the Gate.

The thing with Kilkenny is that he could have been a real hero or us. He was a senior pro and could have commanded the midfield if he wanted to apply himself. Instead he wandered around pointing and moaning. He let us down, and himself too. I guess he is lucky Preston have taken the chance on him, and so far it seems he is paying back their commitment. Obviously his days were numbered here and he needed a contract elsewhere.

Not a player I would rise out of my seat and applaud if he ever returns to the Gate.

I think this is the trick; I don't wish him ill, but I can't absolve him of his role as a senior pro during a time where we needed them to stand up, and thus if any Preston fans were on here looking for opinions, I'd have no qualms in saying he was very poor for us.

He spoke on arrival at wanting a team built around him, and was a full international, so the timidity of his performances, and seeming lack of interest meant he was an abject disappointment.  And an expensive one.

At Preston, he's playing under the same manager with whom her shared great success, and I've little doubt Grayson will get more out of him than any of our bosses did.  But, regardless of circumstances, he wasn't a good player for us.

Archived