IGNORED

East End , The (Some Very ) Old Days.

1960maaan

Great stuff! Thanks so much for posting.

Does anyone know what the capacity of the East End was at it's peak?

Just off the top of my head , I think I read it was 8,000 originally.

I would be careful of copyright, they are not the op's images, they are lifted from a book - presumably without the copyright holder's permission.

True , I did mean to put a link to the book but I think it's out of print now.

The pic's are from Ashton Gate 100 years in pictures , from 2004. I've had a quick look and would guess it's out of print for now, might change when the rebuild is complete.... 125 years in pictures ????

I think I am in the picture of "Cheese" celebrating just above the J in "Jol". By then I was too old to sit on the wall with my feet between the railings!! When I was younger that was standard, the coppers used to walk along the edge of the pitch and make us get down and soon as they disappeared we would jump back up again, usually once each half if I remember.

I do have some pictures I took from the old enclosure, the last match before the ground went all seater, (I think the old floodlights are on them too). They are old film ones so if I can find them and scan them in I will post them if anyone is interested.

True , I did mean to put a link to the book but I think it's out of print now.

The pic's are from Ashton Gate 100 years in pictures , from 2004. I've had a quick look and would guess it's out of print for now, might change when the rebuild is complete.... 125 years in pictures ????

Out of print doesn't mean out of copyright though.  Although against copyright, posting them in a forum is probably less of an issue than posting them on a site set up specifically about old grounds.

Out of print doesn't mean out of copyright though.  Although against copyright, posting them in a forum is probably less of an issue than posting them on a site set up specifically about old grounds.

That was my initial thought. I intended to add a link as I thought some might be interested in buying copies, so not so much breach of copyright , think more free advertising  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

That all? Surely not. Thanks for the response though anyway. It has around 5500 seats at present, and when you consider that there would've been at least 3 people per seat space, I'm sure there would've been at least 15,000 in there. It isn't massively deep, but it makes up for that with it's length. Also, in those pictures you can see it continues around the corner with dolman side.

First match was during the 1949-50 season and sat on the ringside seats with my uncle who was a St John Ambulance officer, just in the top left corner of photo 3. I was 9 yrs old then and favorites were Arnold Rodgers, Alec Eisenstrager, Sid Morgan Goalie, saw John Atyeo's early games and also liked George Lowrie.

The car park was cinders and nearly always packed. Remember joining crowds walking down Winterstoke Rd from the Uplands where we lived. The Clanage was always full of parked cars and away supporters arrived by train at the station bottom of Rownham.

Good crowds in those days, lot of 'where's your glass's Ref' and good halftime entertainment with Brass Bands marching around the pitch.

Sat in the unfinished Dolman stand with my late Father. He would leave early from a game if he felt they were'nt trying!

Rover's games were always packed, with a set to between Ernie Peacock and Pitt almost guaranteed.

Moved from Bristol mid sixties and have only watched City at Plymouth since.

So you have only watched City once in 50 years!!!? That's incredible Sir

So you have only watched City once in 50 years!!!? That's incredible Sir

No, said my first was in the 49-50 season, but was regular to first and reserve games during the 50's and early 60's. Went to away games in London, was at Craven Cottage when we were 3-0 up at halftime, my father back at AG watching reserves could'nt believe the score posted up on the halftime board. Spent  a lot of evenings in the  Supporters Club under the Stand playing Darts and Skittles, good old days.

Thank you for the Sir! but at 73 yrs,  I accept as a compliment.

That all? Surely not. Thanks for the response though anyway. It has around 5500 seats at present, and when you consider that there would've been at least 3 people per seat space, I'm sure there would've been at least 15,000 in there. It isn't massively deep, but it makes up for that with it's length. Also, in those pictures you can see it continues around the corner with dolman side.

Can't find a definitive total for the EE in say the 70's , that's why I said originally, this must have been for  the smaller shed that was built and then pulled down due to weather damage,  replaced with the EE end we know now in 1928. Built from the transfer money when Albert Keating and Clarrie Bourton went to Blackburn (knowledge like this you'd think I was reading it !! ) It was apparently know as the Keating stand for some time. There is supposed to be a plate on a stanchion with 1928  but that would be in the away bit.

I found a debate on the forum where someone suggested 15k but I'm not sure how that would stack up with a capacity for the ground of 37,000 or there abouts.

Another part of the ground I find interesting is the No.1 stand as it says in the book or the Williams as we know it. Built in 1904 with the redevelopment of AG , bombed in 1941 in Jan and again hit when the pitch was bombed in the April. Rebuilt in 1951 but delayed due to shortages after the war , finally finished in '53.

'Williams' or No1 stand 1939

IMG-2.jpg

IMG_0001.jpg

The 60's version

IMG_0002.jpg

Last one , Wolves on the night the floodlights went on for the first time. Tuesday 27th Jan 1953 , 24,000 saw Wolves win the friendly 4-1.

IMG-1.jpg

Has anyone got any photos of the old "cowshed" - i e the decrepit stand that used to be where the Dolman now stands. I used to stand in the enclosure in front of it and always thought those in the stand were far too polite and didn't make sufficient noise. Same sort of views we get now on the forum about the Dolman.

Has anyone got any photos of the old "cowshed" - i e the decrepit stand that used to be where the Dolman now stands. I used to stand in the enclosure in front of it and always thought those in the stand were far too polite and didn't make sufficient noise. Same sort of views we get now on the forum about the Dolman.

I'll do that side tomorrow if I get chance.

Although my very first City game was on the terrace in front of the seats in the Enclosure (Williams), it was the East End for a long time after that.

My Old Man used to take me and my two brothers down with three rickety stools for us to stand on (can you imagine trying to take a stool into a footy match nowadays?!).

He would place us in front of a crash barrier right behind the goal so that we wouldn't get caught up in the surges when City scored (you could end up a long way from where you were previously standing after a goal surge).

My Old Fella was quite intimidating back then, with his steel toe-capped boots, donkey jacket and big beard. I remember him running off once when the oppo fans had got in to the EE and lined up at the back, ready to kick off (may have been Arsenal, my memory is ****ed). He came back looking a bit ruffled, and told me and my brothers not to worry as "it had been taken care of".

Also have memories of fans in white butchers coats in the EE.

Great memories, and I feel really sorry for anyone that is too young to have experienced AG in it's heyday, with terraces and playing in the old 1st division against the top teams.

if we're looking back to what might have been, I'll go out on a limb (gulp) and say that with hindsight, both clubs should have merged pre war. We would truly be a big club in Britain then and probably far more succesful.

I despise Bristol Rovers with a passion, but i've often thought that this is something i would do as we are not a 2 club city (like Newcastle aren't) but could reall have made one club an absolute juggernaut.

Some great aerial views from the 1930's

Areas changed a bit since then.

Can even see the greyhound track in Aston Vale

http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/image/epw041478

http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/image/epw034461

If you look carefully you can see a few people walking their dogs at Ashton Vale.

I know it's another EE thread (Mods merge if you feel the need) but I was looking through some old books and I enjoyed the old photos so I thought I'd share.

Some of you might not have seen these before , if they've been posted before I apologise but worth looking at if the old place is near it's end.

Ok  not strictly a photo of the ground , but fans running on from the EE after the 1-0 win over Portsmouth for promotion.

1976.jpg

Not sure if this caption is correct.

Portsmouth was an evening match when promotion was secured. Therefore there would only be shadows from the floodlights.

Dare I suggest this is the game after, against Notts County, our last of that season?

Amazing pictures hillzider. I could study them all night. Amazing to see the ground already boxed in by those houses behind either end, in the first pic, despite the area being mainly made up of fields in those days.

Also, what are those huge buildings behind the tobacco factory in the second pic?

Amazing pictures hillzider. I could study them all night. Amazing to see the ground already boxed in by those houses behind either end, in the first pic, despite the area being mainly made up of fields in those days.

Also, what are those huge buildings behind the tobacco factory in the second pic?

Yep

Think the buildings you are refering to are the main part of the wills complex on Raleigh road that has now been demolished.

Looked at them many times and you still find new things.

You can see the long gone open air pool in Smyth park and the tram on the railway bridge waiting to return to Bedminster.

Its also amazing to see how much open space is taken up by allotments.

If you search the site there are loads of pictures of Bristol to explore.

Although my very first City game was on the terrace in front of the seats in the Enclosure (Williams), it was the East End for a long time after that.

My Old Man used to take me and my two brothers down with three rickety stools for us to stand on (can you imagine trying to take a stool into a footy match nowadays?!).

He would place us in front of a crash barrier right behind the goal so that we wouldn't get caught up in the surges when City scored (you could end up a long way from where you were previously standing after a goal surge).

My Old Fella was quite intimidating back then, with his steel toe-capped boots, donkey jacket and big beard. I remember him running off once when the oppo fans had got in to the EE and lined up at the back, ready to kick off (may have been Arsenal, my memory is ****ed). He came back looking a bit ruffled, and told me and my brothers not to worry as "it had been taken care of".

Also have memories of fans in white butchers coats in the EE.

Great memories, and I feel really sorry for anyone that is too young to have experienced AG in it's heyday, with terraces and playing in the old 1st division against the top teams.

I think lots of people would choose different parts of the ground at different times. One of the great things about terraces was that if some **** behind kept talking bollocks you could wander of and stand somewhere else, My dad and I stood in all areas of the ground at one time or another, I have particular fond memories of the section of the open end between the Dolman and the away fans. There was a good group there and the fact that the away supporters were close by with no barriers between us didn't seem to worry anyone. When we were in the 1st division there were a few clubs that had enough supporters to spread into our area and we used to have some good friendly banter with them.

I think lots of people would choose different parts of the ground at different times. One of the great things about terraces was that if some **** behind kept talking bollocks you could wander of and stand somewhere else, My dad and I stood in all areas of the ground at one time or another, I have particular fond memories of the section of the open end between the Dolman and the away fans. There was a good group there and the fact that the away supporters were close by with no barriers between us didn't seem to worry anyone. When we were in the 1st division there were a few clubs that had enough supporters to spread into our area and we used to have some good friendly banter with them.

Totally agree. When I hit my teenage years in the mid eighties and started going with my mates instead of my old man, we changed from the EE to the Park End so we could wind up the away fans. By this time scarves tied round both wrists was the order of the day.

Not sure if this caption is correct.

Portsmouth was an evening match when promotion was secured. Therefore there would only be shadows from the floodlights.

Dare I suggest this is the game after, against Notts County, our last of that season?

All I have to go on is the caption in the book , although if I were to have to guess I'd probably lean to the Saturday game too , bit of an anti climax wasn't it.

Totally agree. When I hit my teenage years in the mid eighties and started going with my mates instead of my old man, we changed from the EE to the Park End so we could wind up the away fans. By this time scarves tied round both wrists was the order of the day.

Hmmm I remember that carrying on up until the atyeo wa built. Lots of young uns acting hard. But not quite so hard when Chelsea started to break free :) I remember seeing many of the young uns giving it all the mouth scattering across greville smythe park :)

All I have to go on is the caption in the book , although if I were to have to guess I'd probably lean to the Saturday game too , bit of an anti climax wasn't it.

Agree the game was an anti climax, but I remember feeling the sooner the game was over, the quicker First Division Football would return to Ashton Gate.

Great days, Great memories, and so thankful that I am old enough to remember.

Archived