IGNORED

Service Charge In Restaurants

Drew Peacock

Noticed how some restaurants are sticking a 12.5% service charge automatically onto the bill?  Bloody cheek, I make them take it off and I leave what I feel is appropriate. 

Needs to be pretty damn special service for that level!!

Cote Brasserie is one, which serves up ok food at a highish price to start with.  Bordeaux Quay is another.

Noticed how some restaurants are sticking a 12.5% service charge automatically onto the bill?  Bloody cheek, I make them take it off and I leave what I feel is appropriate. 

Needs to be pretty damn special service for that level!!

Is that in the UK or are you overseas? There's only one place I eat in Bristol that automatically add a 10% service charge. The main tariff is reasonable and the service is good so I don't mind. In the main it's a hell of an assumption of their own view of their service. I've never knowingly, whilst sober at least, paid a tip above 10%.

Is that in the UK or are you overseas? There's only one place I eat in Bristol that automatically add a 10% service charge. The main tariff is reasonable and the service is good so I don't mind. In the main it's a hell of an assumption of their own view of their service. I've never knowingly, whilst sober at least, paid a tip above 10%.

UK.

Thing is the bill says Service included, the percentage is hidden away and you just pay it.  Goodness knows how many other restaurants are up to the trick.

You may well have paid over 10% without realising.......................

Think the idea comes from America whereby wait staff get paid bugger all (no minimum wage) and are part-time hours done commonly by single mothers etc. The tips essentially are their wage (although this could all be bollox, it's appeared in my grey matter somehow).

I do agree the whole thing's a farce over here, though - clients don't give me extra money out of their own pocket for doing a good job.

It also particularly annoys me when it is assumed on the bill. Surely the whole idea was originally based on good-will and a personal gesture of appreciation, which I don't mind making when I feel it is justified.

Did a bit of waiting in New Zealand, have to say it's a pretty shit job.

I don't understand the service charge idea, I do it but not sure why.

Why should you give people tips, for doing their jobs, which they are paid to do?

Low wages. But that begs the question why do the job.

You can make a load of tax free money in the right restaurant. Thing is so many restaurants take a slice for themselves. Now that is wrong, same as sharing the tips is wrong. Good service I think probably deserves a tip, but you get poor waiters and waitresses who are taking a cut of those that have rightfully earned it.

Low wages. But that begs the question why do the job.

You can make a load of tax free money in the right restaurant. Thing is so many restaurants take a slice for themselves. Now that is wrong, same as sharing the tips is wrong. Good service I think probably deserves a tip, but you get poor waiters and waitresses who are taking a cut of those that have rightfully earned it.

Yes that is the other question I always ask "who gets the service charge".  If the answer isn't "the staff", off it comes.  It is surprising how many restaurants keep all or part of the tip themselves and don't give it to the staff.

Yes that is the other question I always ask "who gets the service charge".  If the answer isn't "the staff", off it comes.  It is surprising how many restaurants keep all or part of the tip themselves and don't give it to the staff.

Completely agree.  Get them to take it off and then leave a cash tip.  Much more likely the cash tip will go to the staff. 

As others have mentioned, its completely different in the US. 

If service has been good then I will pay 10-15% cash tip.

I don't really care. If the service is shit I won't pay it but otherwise I'd tip 15% or so anyway so it's no real bother.

It legally has to go to the staff, this way the kitchen staff get more of a look in.

Cote's pretty good value and good quality for a chain restaurant IMO. Bordeaux is waaaay over priced.

Archived