IGNORED

Draw Or Drawer ?

Eco

• Admin

Another bloody dagger into the heart of the language......

Just like people who think they are American and walk into pubs / coffee shops etc and say, " Can I get a beer / coffee / sandwich".

It's " Can I have a beer / coffee / sandwich, please". Bloody morons.

Whatever happened to, " I'm sorry, that's my mistake", now dumbed down to 'my bad'.

Last bugbear of the evening, loads on here who completely change the meaning of their thread titles or posts, by using were, when they mean we're.

Rant over.

My gripes include people who pronounce "vulnerable" as "vun-ru-ball" - why?? including TV presenters and health workers who deal with vulnerable people!!

The number of people who refer to Berkshire as "Burk-shire".

And once  the car broke down at The Quay in Wareham.  When I phoned the RAC the guy said I can't find the Quay (pronounced obviously as the "Key") but I found somewhere near the harbour called the "Kway" :sad26:  I know English spelling can be weird but I'm not having that!

My gripes include people who pronounce "vulnerable" as "vun-ru-ball" - why?? including TV presenters and health workers who deal with vulnerable people!!

The number of people who refer to Berkshire as "Burk-shire".

And once  the car broke down at The Quay in Wareham.  When I phoned the RAC the guy said I can't find the Quay (pronounced obviously as the "Key") but I found somewhere near the harbour called the "Kway" :sad26:  I know English spelling can be weird but I'm not having that!

Another to add to my collection is "adaptions" instead of "adaptations".  Again used by some health professionals ie my work colleagues (or should that be "co-workers" - another one in some workplaces).  There seems to be a four syllable syndrome going on :grr: .

Office-wise I keep my posessions in a drawer, why, therefore, do so many of my colleagues call it a draw ?

Is it just me ?

Er... 'Drawer', as in a compartment in your desk you store pens, paperwork and sticky, old copies of Razzle in, is pronounced 'Draw' (or Dror if you want to get all phonetic). If you said 'Dror-er' you'd be referring to an artist or producer of pictures

There is no such thing as the death or bastardisation of language, only its evolution. A Victorian linguist would probably be flabbergasted at some of the pronunciations we now regard as 'proper'

For you language fact-fans, the only significant European language that has not seen this bastardisation is Icelandic, mainly due to historically no one wanting to live there and more recently, very strict immigration policies (keep it on the other thread please gents). If a Viking warrior were to be transported forward in time 1200 years, the only words he wouldn't understand we're those relating to modern items, i.e. television, motorbike, etc

Just like people who think they are American and walk into pubs / coffee shops etc and say, " Can I get a beer / coffee / sandwich".

It's " Can I have a beer / coffee / sandwich, please". Bloody morons.

Whatever happened to, " I'm sorry, that's my mistake", now dumbed down to 'my bad'.

Last bugbear of the evening, loads on here who completely change the meaning of their thread titles or posts, by using were, when they mean we're.

Rant over.

*It's* ;)

Its " Can I have a beer / coffee / sandwich, please". Bloody morons.

Rant over.

Soooooooooooo, what is it - draw or drawer?

Drawer for me ;)

I do get annoyed at all the chav/text speak, 'I luv u 4eva' for example. But language is a constantly changing thing, especially English. Just look at the way people spoke here a few of centuries ago-they'd probably think we were speaking another language now! Americanisms are an example of English that has evolved into a a more 'phonetically friendly' medium. Many of their changes ignore the idiosyncrasies of British English.

• Admin

Morons who think an own goal is a "home goal".

Also, this may be a Bristolian thing as I haven't noticed it in other areas I have lived but the amount of people that believe the act of ignoring someone to be "ignorant".

Oh and definitely drawer but I have come across many who do call it a draw :(

Morons who think an own goal is a "home goal". Also, this may be a Bristolian thing as I haven't noticed it in other areas I have lived but the amount of people that believe the act of ignoring someone to be "ignorant". Oh and definitely drawer but I have come across many who do call it a draw :(

Reminds me of, as a teenager, kids in school talking about the City Ground and not knowing if they were on about Ashton Gate or Nottingham Forest.

These people tended to support Manchester United or 'Man U' as they soulfully referred to them as.

Main point of this post, though, is to thankyou for opening the issue of 'ignorance' to the floor.

Some one I know declares people ignorant because they fail to acknowledge her and, more importantly, her immediate intensions regarding her relationship to the traffic and a roundabout, for example.

This never fails to piss me off.

Ignorance of the correct usage of the word 'ignorance' is as ironic as people misusing the word 'ironic'.

The abuse of the word 'Legend' is another insult to linguistic and cultural appreciaters, incidentally.

Morons who think an own goal is a "home goal".

Also, this may be a Bristolian thing as I haven't noticed it in other areas I have lived but the amount of people that believe the act of ignoring someone to be "ignorant".

Oh and definitely drawer but I have come across many who do call it a draw :(

I think the Bristolian use of "ignorant" means "ignorant of the proper way to behave". It doesn't just apply to ignoring people, it also applies to using the wrong fork to eat your soup, etc.

Archived