IGNORED

Football Violence?

You Do The Dziekanowski

Reading the Millwall Brick thread, My question is, When did Football Violence first come into football?

And How much has the atmosphere improved or worsened since its all died down at football?

I think it's good that you can go to football and not worry about getting out in one piece, But that adrenaline must of been good for the atmosphere

Reading the Millwall Brick thread, My question is, When did Football Violence first come into football?

And How much has the atmosphere improved or worsened since its all died down at football?

I think it's good that you can go to football and not worry about getting out in one piece, But that adrenaline must of been good for the atmosphere

Pretty much since it was invented centuries ago, it was banned by old kings because of it.

Violence and football has gone hand in hand since its conception. Even in the 1880's there was a lot of rival violence being reported.

Agree or disagree wirh it. The way it is slowly being eradicated has definitely ruined the hostile atmosphere, which I do miss, if not the actual violence.

See I thought it was just a 50s-90s thing

I do wish that hostile atmosphere came back, Without the Violence of course, You wouldn't need a drum to get the atmosphere going then ;)

Now maybe if you stuck the drum, up the drummers arse, you could get that nice hostile atmosphere ;)

I wouldn't say the absence of violence is one of the main reasons for a perceived decline in atmosphere. The change to crowd demographic has meant that there has been a fundamental change in crowd culture - add to that CCTV and certain legislation that doesn't encourage certain more colourful songs.

Now maybe if you stuck the drum, up the drummers arse, you could get that nice hostile atmosphere ;)

Wendy v Leeds yesterday. Back in the day you couldn't get anything more "hostile".

Yesterday sounded like a chimps tea part! With that ******* stupid band playing non stop thought I was watching England cricket with those ***** the barmy army in full blow.

I mean, how intimidating is getting "played" at by a mariachi band....NOT VERY !

Wendy v Leeds yesterday. Back in the day you couldn't get anything more "hostile".

Yesterdat sounded like a chimps tea part! With that ******* stupid band playing non stop thought I was watching England cricket with those ***** the barmy army in full blow.

I mean, how intimidating is getting "played" at by a mariachi band....NOT VERY !

I'll be honest I tunedcin yesterday half expecting fireworks like last year....but found it could of been any other championship game given the lack of needle.

There has always been trouble at football matches, but I reckon it started to get organised around the late 60's with the rise of the skinhead / bootboys and more travelling fans.

The large scale organisation of football trouble did rise with the skinheads / boot boys and there were more travelling fans because arial (that's right washing up powder) gave away coupons for half price rail travel, this made away travel far more available for more fans.

The large scale organisation of football trouble did rise with the skinheads / boot boys and there were more travelling fans because arial (that's right washing up powder) gave away coupons for half price rail travel, this made away travel far more available for more fans.

It was Persil mate - the tokens were on the side of the soap box, you had to cut out part of the box !

I started going to City in 1967 (pre segregation) and it used to go off then.

Away fans could go in the East End...........if there was enough of them and they fancied it...........I remember Brum, Villa, Sheff Utd and Oxford (yes Oxford ! really) all coming in the EE in big numbers.

When the boot boy/skinhead thing started I remember the police used to confiscate the Dr Martens boots - remember a couple of hundred Villa in the EE in their socks and seeing a big pile of DM's just inside the turnstiles waiting to be claimed after the game!

Has anyone read the book "Booted And Suited" by Chris Brown...a book about the 1970's, it starts off (from memory, I don't have it any more) about "lairy Bristol City skinheads in the East End", a skin or mod club in Fairfax St called 'Never On A Sunday', and goes into detail about Bristol City /Rovers / Skins / Hooligans in the first chapter. worth a look.

Has anyone read the book "Booted And Suited" by Chris Brown...a book about the 1970's, it starts off (from memory, I don't have it any more) about "lairy Bristol City skinheads in the East End", a skin or mod club in Fairfax St called 'Never On A Sunday', and goes into detail about Bristol City /Rovers / Skins / Hooligans in the first chapter. worth a look.

The Never on a Sunday was a coffee bar on Fairfax St ( late 60's /early 70's) and yes it was very popular

with a gang of mods/skinheads ..............a bit of a rough place but not particularly football orientated.

It was Persil mate - the tokens were on the side of the soap box, you had to cut out part of the box !

I started going to City in 1967 (pre segregation) and it used to go off then.

Away fans could go in the East End...........if there was enough of them and they fancied it...........I remember Brum, Villa, Sheff Utd and Oxford (yes Oxford ! really) all coming in the EE in big numbers.

When the boot boy/skinhead thing started I remember the police used to confiscate the Dr Martens boots - remember a couple of hundred Villa in the EE in their socks and seeing a big pile of DM's just inside the turnstiles waiting to be claimed after the game!

I remember the oxford game....a lot of their boys were wearing yellow construction helmets, 

Hobnail boots with steel toe caps were taken off the skins before they could go through the turnstiles....thats why DM's came into fashion !!!

I remember the oxford game....a lot of their boys were wearing yellow construction helmets, 

Hobnail boots with steel toe caps were taken off the skins before they could go through the turnstiles....thats why DM's came into fashion !!!

Me and mates raided all the Building sites looking for them they were lots building sites in Hengrove and Witchchurch

Think hooliganism 70's/80's style arose through affordable travel and more disposable income. Hence away support.

You read folk from a certain, vintage, generation on here talk about going to R*vers the week City were away and sharing the East End with them pre-70's.

Even read bog-rolls were chucked at each other but it was more pantomine banter, not violent.

This also used to happen in the 70's at WSM railway station on Bank Holidays,re skinheads.

I was well cheesed off when the police took our laces. I waited ages to get a flourescent yellow pair for my DM's and they had them away the day after I bought them! Gits. :facepalm:

The Never on a Sunday was a coffee bar on Fairfax St ( late 60's /early 70's) and yes it was very popular

with a gang of mods/skinheads ..............a bit of a rough place but not particularly football orientated.

My two eldest brothers were original skins and used to hang out there,they even used to fight hells angels,so yes it was rough.

Football violence started really around mid to late 60s! I think Mods and Rockers had an influence to the violence at football and also the Skinheads.

Also at the time, kids from different areas in Bristol or any other city for that matter would fight eachother just because they were from a different part of the city. For example, Bemmy and Knowle was a nasty one back in the day.

This happened a lot at that time and I think all this had an influence on football.

See I thought it was just a 50s-90s thing

I do wish that hostile atmosphere came back, Without the Violence of course, You wouldn't need a drum to get the atmosphere going then ;)

East End in the 70's, with 5000 singing "you're gonna get your ####ing heads kicked in!" or "you're going home in a Bristol ambulance".

Still sends shivers down my spine.

From an academic perspective, it was the Norman-French that introduced football into England after the Norman-French conquest of Anglo-Saxon England of 1066. Football and football violence is thus part of our ancient heritage and culture.

From an academic perspective, it was the Norman-French that introduced football into England after the Norman-French conquest of Anglo-Saxon England of 1066. Football and football violence is thus part of our ancient heritage and culture.

Indeed, and when have the British not been violent? It's something we've historically been quite good at  :englandflag:  :drunk2:  :boxing:

As an extension to the thread ....how many 'ends' have you been involved with in taking and holding?

Moi....the Tote End,the Town End, Grange Town End (although our small group was abandoned by the rest who ran off down the other end!)

Was going to ask in the East End thread.

Seems we were apt at holding our own at home.

An Arsenal fan told me how they regretted trying to take the 'country bumkins' for granted.

What were we like kn our travels, taking other ends, though?

Remember an anecdote from that generation telling me about being knicked for climbing on the roof at Bradford.

Different times.

Archived