IGNORED

Watford Away (F.a. Cup Third Round Replay) Match Thread (Merged)

ScottMurray'srightboot

It's always disappointing to lose but:

Positives

We are trying to play passing football

We could have been a goal up early doors, and created A few more very decent chances.

Flint

Negatives

We lack the zing in midfield to break down well organised defences such as Watford

Despite our attempts to play passing football, it was predominately between Parish and the back 4 and a lot of long ball stuff to JET and Baldock.

Joe Bryan needs to gain the confidence to run at defenders more.

Finally Baldock got alot of (unfair) stick tonight - he had a 1 on 1 saved (just look at how many their no.11 missed) and he gets the ball lumped up in the air at him despite being near enough the shortest man on the field most weeks. Him and JET don't work as a partnership.

And as for JET - clearly head and shoulders the best player on show tonight from a technical viewpoint.... He gets about a 1/10 for

effort. I lost count of the number of times he allowed a Watford player to ghost past him and carry the ball into the midfield. It is clear

those touches and the quality goals he can produce will go a long way to keeping us in League 1 but really think SC needs to think whether he is going to provide the quality of player to work around JET's technical excellence or pick two strikers who can play together and move him to the wing.

Only one team going to lose after Extra Time tonight.

That's a big result for us.

I thought this too.  And with a deeper squad than MK Dons, this was last night's silver lining.

Disappointing to lose to Watford, of course, but not like we were favourites.

If we were to absolutely go for it in one game this week, I think the logic would be for that game to be MK Dons.

There maybe a difference as you say, but we still aren't keeping clean sheets. I think sod tried to win games but after the start of season we had went to negative at times, we didn't concede as many but stopped scoring as well.

Sc has gone a bit more attacking at times but we still are letting in goals, and until we stop conceding we aren't going to win many.

I think it's a bit harsh to be critical of SC in regards to conceding goals. He's only been here a few weeks and is trying to do what none of his predecessors have managed to do.

Ever since the play off season we have had trouble with conceding too many goals. Johnson, Millen, McInnes and O'Driscoll all tried various methods and formations to ebb the flow, but with little success.

Now it's SC's turn and TBF, the record since he came in is an improvement on SOD's this season. We have only conceded 9 goals in the 8 games since SC took over compared to 37 in 24 games under SOD this season.

I thought this too.  And with a deeper squad than MK Dons, this was last night's silver lining.

Disappointing to lose to Watford, of course, but not like we were favourites.

If we were to absolutely go for it in one game this week, I think the logic would be for that game to be MK Dons.

I honestly don't think it works like that. A win tonight would have been a tonic for the rest of the season.

But, hey! Onwards and upwards and let's stuff the Dongs on Saturday!!

I honestly don't think it works like that. A win tonight would have been a tonic for the rest of the season.

But, hey! Onwards and upwards and let's stuff the Dongs on Saturday!!

No, you're probably right, and I have no doubt that beating higher league opposition would have boosted confidence no end.

But at least MK Dons might have slightly more tired legs, and at least they didn't win, so no boost for them!

I think it's a bit harsh to be critical of SC in regards to conceding goals. He's only been here a few weeks and is trying to do what none of his predecessors have managed to do.

Ever since the play off season we have had trouble with conceding too many goals. Johnson, Millen, McInnes and O'Driscoll all tried various methods and formations to ebb the flow, but with little success.

Now it's SC's turn and TBF, the record since he came in is an improvement on SOD's this season. We have only conceded 9 goals in the 8 games since SC took over compared to 37 in 24 games under SOD this season.

That stat is actually 1 more than SOD team conceded in his last 8 games. 

Goals scored is 14 in SOD last 8 games against 11 scored in Cotterill's 8 games. Over a third of the goals under SC tenure were against the truly woeful Stevenage.

From SC's 5 league games we have 8 points. From SOD's last 5 games we got 9 points.

I'm sure there will be those that will call me a SOD'ite. The point is that kid in a riot made a valid point about number of goals conceded and people just jumped on it. He was right. I'm optimistic that the true Cotterill bounce will kick in after this transfer window. It really needs to.

I think sc is doing a steady job. But we've still got the letting goals in every game problem. Until we sort it we are going to struggle to win games as was problem under sod.

Sc trying to sort it by playing 3 cb but if we keep getting injuries suspensions etc. never going to have a settled defence which is a problem.

That stat is actually 1 more than SOD team conceded in his last 8 games. 

Goals scored is 14 in SOD last 8 games against 11 scored in Cotterill's 8 games. Over a third of the goals under SC tenure were against the truly woeful Stevenage.

From SC's 5 league games we have 8 points. From SOD's last 5 games we got 9 points.

I'm sure there will be those that will call me a SOD'ite. The point is that kid in a riot made a valid point about number of goals conceded and people just jumped on it. He was right. I'm optimistic that the true Cotterill bounce will kick in after this transfer window. It really needs to.

The point is the amount of time he's been here. Given the length of tenures, and lack of success in the defensive department of his predecessors, it seems churlish to expect SC to have sorted the issue already.

Or maybe not. Maybe people do expect him to have righted every wrong by now?

The point is the amount of time he's been here. Given the length of tenures, and lack of success in the defensive department of his predecessors, it seems churlish to expect SC to have sorted the issue already.

Or maybe not. Maybe people do expect him to have righted every wrong by now?

I think he's done a good job of keeping the ship steady thus far. Many would argue that SOD had already steadied the ship though, hence the annoyance of yet another new manager being chopped. Only an idiot (a bigger one than me) would expect him to right every wrong by now.  I'm hopeful he can do just enough to keep us up and that we stick with him.

I'm not anti Cotterill or  pro SOD ! I'm pro continuity.

I think he's done a good job of keeping the ship steady thus far. Many would argue that SOD had already steadied the ship though, hence the annoyance of yet another new manager being chopped. Only an idiot (a bigger one than me) would expect him to right every wrong by now.  I'm hopeful he can do just enough to keep us up and that we stick with him.

I think these are valid points, and no one is going to argue that we need to stop shipping goals, particularly ones from set pieces.

But I think it is the idea that our relatively decent set of performances under Cotterill, particularly in the league, are being written off due to us shipping two goals to a team who we're one goal from the Premier League last year on their own patch in a cup competition that seems odd.

He's come in, set us up to play to our strengths and not just to counter our opponents, and made us a competitive again, where under SO'D we had shown a negligible amount of fight, even in the improved performances towards the end of his reign.

I think a decent comparison is the Sheffield United/Orient pair of games, and the Walsall/Stevenage ones under each manager; both same in a shot space of time, on against top half opponents, the other against fellow strugglers.  And while we matched, if not edged, the Orient game where were able to play more open, expressive football, in a 'grinder' against United we had no character or fight to match theirs, and this was clear from the side we put out.

Against Walsall and Stevenage in comparison, we set up our stall to take the game to both, and were aggressive in imposing our game, which reaped dividends against Stevenage, and was enough to see us over the line against Walsall.  

Ultimately, everything from the set up to the attitude has shifted, and though it was a shame SO'D couldn't get the sort of fight needed from the players, Cotterill has, statistic be damned, and that is clearly showing, regardless of last night's unfortunate loss.

I think he's done a good job of keeping the ship steady thus far. Many would argue that SOD had already steadied the ship though, hence the annoyance of yet another new manager being chopped. Only an idiot (a bigger one than me) would expect him to right every wrong by now. I'm hopeful he can do just enough to keep us up and that we stick with him.

I'm not anti Cotterill or pro SOD ! I'm pro continuity.

Too many people here get their football "knowledge" from FM & FIFA 14, which are all about chopping and changing :(

I couldn't make the game yesterday because of work travel but coming into the office this morning - a few people went to the game being Watford fans - their impression of us was that City weren't very good.

Apparently we are "a shadow of Bristol City sides that have come here before"

And I am also told Baldock missed another clean cut 1 on 1?

In the same manner I am neither anti-SOD or pro-SC, I am pro-City.

But everything both during and since his reign suggests to me O'Driscoll had to go and things have improved vastly on the pitch and around the club since his departure.

Anyone would have to be blind and deaf to not notice the change in and around the ground under Cotterill right now.

Hi everyone I wrote a match review for Bristol Sports Blogger on last nights game, i would appreciate it if you could take a look and leave any feedback or comments!

heres the link: http://bristolsportsblogger.com/2014/01/15/watford-2-0-bristol-city/

now hopefully we can move on and get a good result against MK Dons and push on for the season! 

COYR!

Archived