IGNORED

Films In 2014

Northamptonshire Red

Hello all. Thought we could recommend some decent flicks we may have stumbled upon so far this year! I've recently seen American Hustle and The Wolf of Wall Street which were both fantastic. Saw Last Vegas too which wasn't that great, but streamed The Iceman on Netflix last week which is a great little film. Anybody got any others to recommend? Cheers.

Was a little Disappointed with American Hustle. Also seen the 2nd part of The Hobbit trilogy, which is perfectly entertaining but hardly any of the story is actually in the book. If you're a proper Tolkeinite (I'm not really, though I read all the books as a kid ) I imagine it's piss you off

Was a little Disappointed with American Hustle. Also seen the 2nd part of The Hobbit trilogy, which is perfectly entertaining but hardly any of the story is actually in the book. If you're a proper Tolkeinite (I'm not really, though I read all the books as a kid ) I imagine it's piss you off

Didn't piss me off, but I thought it could do with a good prune. At least half an hour too long.

Didn't piss me off, but I thought it could do with a good prune. At least half an hour too long.

I said after the first part that it should only have been done in 2 parts and as it happens, the only way they've extended it to 3 parts is by inventing a load of story to spin it out. Entertaining though

With regards to the 2nd Hobbit film Peter Jackson has apparently been given access to Tolkien's notes when writing it so some of the stuff may not actually be in the book but in his notes which apparently he was going back through to link it better to Lord Of The Rings.

Anyway I've seen American Hustle, I liked it. Had some very good casting choices pick of which for me was Bradley Cooper, I thought he'd get outshone by Bale going in but coming out I thought Cooper gave the stronger performance. Only issue with the film for me was its pacing, was a bit over the pace.

Should be watching Wolf of Wall Street later this week, really looking forward to it as i've only heard good things.

Other films I'm keeping an eye out for in 2014 - Captain America 2, Guardians of the Galaxy, Interstellar, Hobbit 3, X-Men: Days of Future Past, The Amazing Spider-man 2, Godzilla, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, 22 Jump Street, Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1, How to Train your Dragon 2

Then ones I may watch if I can be bothered - Transedence, Non-stop, Horrible Bosses 2

To be honest its a shame the amount of those that are sequels rather than originals.

With regards to the 2nd Hobbit film Peter Jackson has apparently been given access to Tolkien's notes when writing it so some of the stuff may not actually be in the book but in his notes which apparently he was going back through to link it better to Lord Of The Rings.

Interested to hear that. I thought the added bits fitted in very well. That, of course, would explain why.

Anyway I've seen American Hustle, I liked it. Had some very good casting choices pick of which for me was Bradley Cooper, I thought he'd get outshone by Bale going in but coming out I thought Cooper gave the stronger performance. Only issue with the film for me was its pacing, was a bit over the pace.

Agreed, Cooper was very good which surprised me a little. It was 20 mins too long though and I was expecting a slightly more spectacular ending/hustle but still a good effort. Liked the acting, soundtrack and mise en scene.

Anyone else really looking forward to The Grand Budapest Hotel? Cracking trailer.

Agreed, Cooper was very good which surprised me a little. It was 20 mins too long though and I was expecting a slightly more spectacular ending/hustle but still a good effort. Liked the acting, soundtrack and mise en scene.

Anyone else really looking forward to The Grand Budapest Hotel? Cracking trailer.

I liked the ending, anyone smart (not me then) should be able to see the ending coming, I didn't as I get to into a film and dont think about whats coming but it was very clever. I agree it could have been a bit shorter though.

Hungers games 2 was awesome - must watch film.

Captain America - Winter Soldier - trailers are great.

Same with Avengers 2 and Spiderman 4.

Marvel can do no wrong (and I also own the original books in High grade.... :laugh:).

Justice League America - Dark, Ant-Man  and Black Panther are also high on my watch list. I don't think Black Panther is out until 2016 now though. The others 2015 at the earliest.

Marvel haven't announced any film beyond Ant-Man in 2015 yet so its a guess as to what 2016 will have in store tbh, it will likely rest on how much Captain America 2 and Guardians of the Galaxy make. I wouldn't be surprised if Thor 3 was a 2016 film though with Man of Steel 2 being put back to 2016 where it will go up against an unnamed Marvel project in May. Can't see them putting a new franchise up against Man of Steel 2 so expect that to be Thor 3, as I would expect that to draw fairly big with people eager to see what happens with Loki and what was teased/hinted in The Dark World.

Dr Strange is also a favourite of Kevin Feige, so expect that in Phase 3 somewhere at least whether 2016 or 2017 along with 2 other films one possibly Capt 3, others could include The Inhumans and as you mentioned Black Panther, a sequel to Guardians' or even a Shield movie (however Capt 2 basically looks like one so that could be Cap 3). Then expect Avengers 3 to kick off 2018.

I think the best parts of American Hustle were the performances, Bale, Cooper, Adams and Lawrence...all top notch. The Wolf of Wall Street won't disappoint, again-fantastic performances beyond anything else and it's 3 hour runtime flys by!

KITR-I was never a huge fan of Wes Anderson until I saw Moonrise Kingdom, but his new film does look interesting. Out of the Furnace has definitely caught my eye too:

Marvel haven't announced any film beyond Ant-Man in 2015 yet so its a guess as to what 2016 will have in store tbh, it will likely rest on how much Captain America 2 and Guardians of the Galaxy make. I wouldn't be surprised if Thor 3 was a 2016 film though with Man of Steel 2 being put back to 2016 where it will go up against an unnamed Marvel project in May. Can't see them putting a new franchise up against Man of Steel 2 so expect that to be Thor 3, as I would expect that to draw fairly big with people eager to see what happens with Loki and what was teased/hinted in The Dark World.

Dr Strange is also a favourite of Kevin Feige, so expect that in Phase 3 somewhere at least whether 2016 or 2017 along with 2 other films one possibly Capt 3, others could include The Inhumans and as you mentioned Black Panther, a sequel to Guardians' or even a Shield movie (however Capt 2 basically looks like one so that could be Cap 3). Then expect Avengers 3 to kick off 2018.

You certainly know your comic book movie stuff mate! Winter Soldier looks like the best Marvel film so far-was disappointed with Iron Man 3 and the latest Thor...all a bit too comical but still enjoyable I suppose. What do you think about Affleck playing Batman? Personally can't wait to see him and Superman on the big screen...

Oh and X-Men : Days of Future Past is out as well.

Rumoured by DC is The Justice League:Dark - John Constantine, Ertigan and Deadman to feature (amongst others). Del Toro is directing.

TV is covered as well with new series coming out:

Agent Carter (Captain America character, Hayley Atwell to star)

Luke Cage 

Daredevil

Jessica Jones (Heroes For Hire basically) 

Iron Fist - all confirmed on Netflix, so certain to be on Sky and Fox.

Happy Days.

Interesting note:

The next marvel one shot which will be attached to Thor's DVD is called 'all hail the king' and it's based on Trevor Slattery/fake manderin when he's in prison..... the interesting part is that its apparently the same prison as Luke Cage is in.

You certainly know your comic book movie stuff mate! Winter Soldier looks like the best Marvel film so far-was disappointed with Iron Man 3 and the latest Thor...all a bit too comical but still enjoyable I suppose. What do you think about Affleck playing Batman? Personally can't wait to see him and Superman on the big screen...

Tbh I haven't watched many Affleck movies, Daredevil being one of few but harsh to judge him on that as it was just a disaster all round really. Certainly an interesting choice as I think he could add to the role however my choice would have been someone like Richard Armitage, growing reputation in big movies and probably wouldn't command such a wage as someone like Affleck while still being a very good actor.

Interested to hear that. I thought the added bits fitted in very well. That, of course, would explain why.

as someone who's read the book about 30 times and a bit of a tolkin nerd, I thought the film was pretty good all be it about 20 minutes too long,

I liked the stuff that wasn't in the book although i didn't like Legolas being in it too much but I did like the elf Maggie Grace played and she wasn't in the book,

The other bit I didn't like was the trek though mirk wood and the encounter with the giant spiders I thought that could of been fleshed out a bit instead of long long chase through eribor with smaug

Must see movies - The Wolf of Wall Street, American Hustle, Out of the Furnace, Prisoners

Good movies - Filth, Her, Lone Survivor, Runner Runner, Dallas Buyers Club

Good sports based movie's / docu's - The Crash Reel, The Motivation, Where The Trail Ends

Must see movies - The Wolf of Wall Street, American Hustle, Out of the Furnace, Prisoners

Good movies - Filth, Her, Lone Survivor, Runner Runner, Dallas Buyers Club

Good sports based movie's / docu's - The Crash Reel, The Motivation, Where The Trail Ends

Watched that one last night. Not bad at all.

Watched Wolf of Wall Street on Thursday, WOW! Easily the best film i've watched in the last year or so for me and I'd say its a 9/10. Di Caprio practically at his very best.

For anyone who has seen it though, the lemons scene was by far the part I laughed at most though  :laugh: If anything though it just shows even more Di Caprio's acting talent to do a scene like that.

Watched Wolf of Wall Street on Thursday, WOW! Easily the best film i've watched in the last year or so for me and I'd say its a 9/10. Di Caprio practically at his very best.

For anyone who has seen it though, the lemons scene was by far the part I laughed at most though :laugh: If anything though it just shows even more Di Caprio's acting talent to do a scene like that.

I loved it too pal, my favourite part was the slow mo bit where Jonah Hill was off his ***s on Quaaludes! Di Caprio's motivational speech halfway through was fantastic too, such power, energy and conviction in that speech. A truly excellent actor.

Fassbender is quality in 12 years, i appreciate his performance is not the the thing anyone should take from the movie, but he is brilliant in it.

Ive seen gravity, american hustle and wolf of wall street now and all great movies

The wolf is probably the most enjoyable, not sure it will pick up any oscars but its a bloody good watch. Seemed a bit like 'blow' for stockbrokers though

Amy Adams is cracking in american hustle, some pretty revealing dresses to boot also ha

Archived