IGNORED

Last Few Years - Worst In Living Memory?

gater2

Just done some quick calculations for the last 2.5 seasons (including what's happened in this one).

Total league games: 117

Wins: 27 (23%)

Draws: 33 (28%)

Losses: 57 (49%)

With cups it improves slightly: Wins becomes 25%, draws 26% and losses stays at 49%.

I've been supporting City for about 20 years now and can't remember such a prolonged period of time when I expect us to draw or lose each week (77% of games). I'm sure it won't last much longer (got the faith!!) but it really has been fairly depressing the last few years.

Anyone remember any worse times to be a City fan? Thankfully I'm too young to remember the 3 relegations in a row in the 70s(?).

Just done some quick calculations for the last 2.5 seasons (including what's happened in this one).

Total league games: 117

Wins: 27 (23%)

Draws: 33 (28%)

Losses: 57 (49%)

With cups it improves slightly: Wins becomes 25%, draws 26% and losses stays at 49%.

I've been supporting City for about 20 years now and can't remember such a prolonged period of time when I expect us to draw or lose each week (77% of games). I'm sure it won't last much longer (got the faith!!) but it really has been fairly depressing the last few years.

Anyone remember any worse times to be a City fan? Thankfully I'm too young to remember the 3 relegations in a row in the 70s(?).

80's.

79-80 relegated from Div 1 - 9 wins

80-81 relegated from Div 2 - 7 wins

81-82 relegated from Div 3 - 11 wins

80's.

79-80 relegated from Div 1 - 9 wins      Played 42 Won 9   Drawn 13 Lost 20

80-81 relegated from Div 2 - 7 wins      Played 42 Won 7   Drawn 16 Lost 19

81-82 relegated from Div 3 - 11 wins    Played 46 Won 11 Drawn 13 Lost 22

Those years were the worst Glyn. Even in Division 4 our first year finished Played 46 Won 13 Drawn 17 Lost 16

80's.

79-80 relegated from Div 1 - 9 wins      Played 42 Won 9    (21%)  Drawn 13 (31%) Lost 20 (48%)

80-81 relegated from Div 2 - 7 wins      Played 42 Won 7    (17%)  Drawn 16 (38%) Lost 19 (45%)

81-82 relegated from Div 3 - 11 wins    Played 46 Won 11  (24%) Drawn 13 (28%) Lost 22 (48%)

Overall  Played 130  Won 27 (21%)  Drawn 42 (32%)  Lost 61 (47%)

All rather depends how far your memory goes back, I suppose...

Being that I am 30 years old I missed the 1st division peak and the subsequent downfall.

It sounds daft but I'm very jealous of not only those in the late 70's that were able to witness the 0-1 at Highbury, Mabbutt's hatrick etc but also of those in the early 80's that were there for the ride that finished in the single most important event in City's history. Although the slide to the bottom of the 4th and near death of the club must have been the hardest it has ever been to support City- the joy at  survival and the achievement of rebuilding must have been incredible.

Imagine the melt down this forum would have had, had there been such a thing in the early 80's. With the problems with the club, the players, the board and the fans.

What difference would the presence of a forum made back then?

Those were the days that you virtually only ever read one persons view on the city probably peter godsiff or some other journo at the time.

And that also obv depended on whether you bought a paper.

Were we more ignorant of what was going on?

Probably. Yes, I'd say.

Imagine the melt down this forum would have had, had there been such a thing in the early 80's. With the problems with the club, the players, the board and the fans.

Those were the days that you virtually only ever read one persons view on the city probably peter godsiff or some other journo at the time.

Probably. Yes, I'd say.

Whereas, with the Post today and guru Stockhausen, we're so much better informed - aren't we?

There is a lot more information but there's also a hell of a lot more noise :(

Being that I am 30 years old I missed the 1st division peak and the subsequent downfall.

It sounds daft but I'm very jealous of not only those in the late 70's that were able to witness the 0-1 at Highbury, Mabbutt's hatrick etc but also of those in the early 80's that were there for the ride that finished in the single most important event in City's history. Although the slide to the bottom of the 4th and near death of the club must have been the hardest it has ever been to support City- the joy at  survival and the achievement of rebuilding must have been incredible.

You've got time yet to see things swing back our way. Can you wait another 30 years? The slide from top to bottom was shockingly dire, but it was over and done with in 2 and a half years or so. The comeback ("City are back, City are back, Hello, Hello") was thoroughly enjoyable (83-90) but never quite went all the way. But what a surprise 2007/8 was! Let's see what happens when we've got our ground all spruced up....

Probably. Yes, I'd say.

We didn't have as many "toys" back then, but they would have been flying out of the "pram" back then. People "doing one" all over the place. All this 24/7 obsessing over everything, absurd! And we only had three TV channels. What did we get up to? The Green 'Un stopped, too, didn't it, when we slumped early 80s. Ignorant, probably, but ignorancewas "bliss" compared to this daily rumination and swapping insults......

Spent many an unhappy hour travelling home down the highways of this country feeling numb, mainly by overdosing on alcahol and the like

so in response to the OP.......in my living memory NO.......this was always my hobby, my escape, my way of geting out of the rut, a way of just doing something with friends who were like minded who, like me, just wanted to have a laugh,

I will, and will never let football, or indeed supporting BCFC get me down....This is a life choice i, and many others have made a decision and will always stick by it...........They will piss you off..........They will hurt you to the core.....and trust me people, the days of glory are a long way into the future.....................it is said that patience is a virtue........support BCFC.......I'ts a Friggin MUST...rant over, bless u all

It's all SODs fault. Even though they have remained a constant, the board are not to blame.

The board have not remained a constant, we have, in effect a new board. The owner has remained a constant and he was the same owner who oversaw promotion from this division and a play-off final nearly taking us to the prem.

What we have witnessed is some bad decisions by the board(s) and some managers who have made even worse decisions.

I think we have every chance now of arresting the downward trajectory we've been on in the past few years. Whether SC can build a team capable of getting us out of this division is something that remains to be seen, but at leas we are seeing more entertaining football now.

The board have not remained a constant, we have, in effect a new board. The owner has remained a constant and he was the same owner who oversaw promotion from this division and a play-off final nearly taking us to the prem.

What we have witnessed is some bad decisions by the board(s) and some managers who have made even worse decisions.

I think we have every chance now of arresting the downward trajectory we've been on in the past few years. Whether SC can build a team capable of getting us out of this division is something that remains to be seen, but at leas we are seeing more entertaining football now.

Oh come on, last 2.5 years it's been JL, Harman and Dawe shuffling about. It's pretty much been the same.

As already stated by many others, Saturday's game was no more entertaining than the away draw at MK and the defending in the first half was some of the most gutless and incompetent we've seen all season.

I'm sure we'll get out of trouble eventually, like you say whether SC can get us up out of this league (he hasn't done it before elsewhere) remains to be seen.

Oh come on, last 2.5 years it's been JL, Harman and Dawe shuffling about. It's pretty much been the same.

As already stated by many others, Saturday's game was no more entertaining than the away draw at MK and the defending in the first half was some of the most gutless and incompetent we've seen all season.

I'm sure we'll get out of trouble eventually, like you say whether SC can get us up out of this league (he hasn't done it before elsewhere) remains to be seen.

Not managed in this division before has he?

Archived