IGNORED

Tonight's Annual Supporters Gathering

Tomo

Just got back and I must say it was an enjoyable questions and answers session,

Some good questions asked and some good answers - some obvious, some not,

I must say you have to admire Steve Cotterill's passion for the game. He is the complete opposite of O'Dismal which must be a big culture shock for the players...

I think we will stay up...

Ashton Gate looks like being our home for sometime...

Attracting players is more difficult than ever...probably because we are bottom of league 1 and the money some agents and players are demanding doesnt fit within our current structure - SC clearly stated that it aint paying over the odds for anyone and he wants to keep the faith and confidence of some of our younger lads also. However, he is always looking and has been fairly busy looking for the right players !

He may be labelled as a Del "boyish" character of footy but he talks with immense passion and I like him to be fair. Let's hope he has more than just passion!

We are playing better so he must be doing something right.  

It was a big pity that all the posters on OTIB didnt come along this evening and "ask a question" - I would say just over a 100 fans attended.

Tomo

SC is indeed mad as a hatter.

He does speak very honestly and very passionately, and you can see that his style of management will have an impact on a number of players.  However, this sort of enthusiasm usually passes by a lot of players after a few months, so I hope he's got something else other than passion and bluster.

Yeh - he did entertain for sure but I do like his character albeit a tad David Jason from Peckham. I was unconvinced of his appointment but I hope he becomes the next Alan Dicks / Gary Johnson for our club...

He's a west country bloke - say's it how it is but also understands others opinions. After O'Dismal, his character is bound to have an effect (which it has already) on the players. I will say that he will be bold with his playing staff and every player at the club will be "earning their wage", once he finalises who he wants to keep of course. I cant see many players having a "cushy time" at the gate whilst he is in charge and that is how it should be. They need to earn their wage.

I get the feeling that any player who does not match his passion will be asked to jog on...

Mixed bag from me.

I admired his honesty and clearly he is enthusiastic and very knowledgeable about tactics but a couple of his answers worried me, especially the one to my question about the defence.

I simply cannot see how El-Abd can play on the left (as Saturday showed) but he's picking the team and I'm not..

Did he mention about reverting back to 442 eventually? I assume El-Abd will be used in this role long term rather than in a 3...

He did, sort of.

In a long rambling answer about our current lack of a holding midfielder.

Mixed bag from me.

I admired his honesty and clearly he is enthusiastic and very knowledgeable about tactics but a couple of his answers worried me, especially the one to my question about the defence.

I simply cannot see how El-Abd can play on the left (as Saturday showed) but he's picking the team and I'm not..

His tactical analysis, I thought, was actually all pretty straight forward and basic stuff.

* To pass the ball out from the back, you need to create width from your defence.

* We have no midfielders who can play in a 2.

* We have no striker who can play on his own.

* If we buy a winger we need to change the formation.

* Baldock needs to shuffle the ball one way or the other to make the keeper move.

etc etc.

Nothing in depth or over complicated, but maybe that's what we need for the short-term?

His tactical analysis, I thought, was actually all pretty straight forward and basic stuff.

* To pass the ball out from the back, you need to create width from your defence.

* Baldock needs to shuffle the ball one way or the other to make the keeper move.

etc etc.

Nothing in depth or over complicated, but maybe that's what we need for the short-term?

Football is a simple game though, is it not..?

Of course, training methods, dietary requirements, fitness monitoring, stat analysis, have all become far more in depth in modern day football and need to be embraced, but in simple terms, if you tackle the other teams players, pass to your own team and shoot on target, then you should do ok!

etc etc.

He really believes that we have no midfielders who can play in a two?  In that case, what are they doing at the club?  I think this is utter nonsense.  Any of our midfielders could play in a two, but their success would depend on how the rest of the team looks.  Playing in a two with out and out wingers is very different from playing a two with wing backs and a player in the hole, for instance.

Sounds like from what people are saying he is trying to get the best out of what we've got whist trying to add to the squad where possible, which can't be easy. He gone back to basics trying to get the foundations right keeping it simple to instill some confidence. He is still assessing players both mentally and physically and has himself only been here a short length of time.

This of course sounds the obvious thing to do with a team sitting at the bottom of league one but still some people question it. But what was the alternative, letting players make their own decisions wasnt it? It won't be easy but even if it's bluff and bluster it got to be better to be given the message 'you can' as a player than 'you can't'.

It sounds like it was a good meeting, many thanks to those there and the tweets for the updates. Hope there is more of these to come.

He really believes that we have no midfielders who can play in a two? In that case, what are they doing at the club? I think this is utter nonsense. Any of our midfielders could play in a two, but their success would depend on how the rest of the team looks. Playing in a two with out and out wingers is very different from playing a two with wing backs and a player in the hole, for instance.

This is a fad a lot of managers suffer from. What it boils down to is everyone is playing three midfielders because everyone is playing three midfielders because Jose Mourinho did that once.

Archived