IGNORED

How Hard Is It To Support Your Local Team?

You Do The Dziekanowski

Why I ask this, Dropped off my Cousin at his football training, Looked around and only spotted one! Yes one Bristol shirt, My Cousin in his City shirt the rest were in Chelsea, Man U and Arsenal kits

I can understand it up to U10's this was U13's and to make it worse some of the parents had the training gear for Man U Arsenal and Chelsea as well!

Why spend so much money travelling to games to see a team you like (can't say they are avid supporters) When you can spend half the amount on your doorstep?

it actually hurt seeing one shirt out of 15-20 kids that belonged to a Bristol Team and made it worse seeing the Parents not supporting their Local team as well

Why I ask this, Dropped off my Cousin at his football training, Looked around and only spotted one! Yes one Bristol shirt, My Cousin in his City shirt the rest were in Chelsea, Man U and Arsenal kits

I can understand it up to U10's this was U13's and to make it worse some of the parents had the training gear for Man U Arsenal and Chelsea as well!

Why spend so much money travelling to games to see a team you like (can't say they are avid supporters) When you can spend half the amount on your doorstep?

it actually hurt seeing one shirt out of 15-20 kids that belonged to a Bristol Team and made it worse seeing the Parents not supporting their Local team as well

The thing is, they don't travel,99% of them watch all there football on the tv.

A lot of kids think that Football is now a tv programme.

I'll give it some balance, I take my little un to an Under 5 s football training at Warmley and of the 10 or so that attend, 4 or 5 regularly wear Gas shirts, 3 or 4 City shirts and there is only one who is regularly in an Arsenal top. Hope for the future!

By the way, nobody dislikes the Rovers as much as me but I'd still rather see a Bristol kid in the quarters than Man U or Chelsea.

I take my boy football training and he is the only one in a City kit, no Gas at all (despite being in North Bristol), the other kids wear either Man Utd, Liverpool or Chelsea kits.

I regulary read on Facebook people moaning about the fact 'their' team are doing really badly at the moment (mainly Man Utd fans but Liverpool fans have done the same in recent years). They come from Bristol, their families are from Bristol, they dress their offspring in Man Yoo kits and their kids tell my boy he supports a rubbish team. They are d1ckheads.

I take my boy football training and he is the only one in a City kit, no Gas at all (despite being in North Bristol), the other kids wear either Man Utd, Liverpool or Chelsea kits.

I regulary read on Facebook people moaning about the fact 'their' team are doing really badly at the moment (mainly Man Utd fans but Liverpool fans have done the same in recent years). They come from Bristol, their families are from Bristol, they dress their offspring in Man Yoo kits and their kids tell my boy he supports a rubbish team. They are d1ckheads.

Ultimately they are missing out big time, if they watched the City...gulp... Or even Rovers, they would have Saturday afternoons watching real football, pint at the pub, seeing their mates, sing song in the ground and the successes are even sweeter because of their rarity. And then there are the away days, those can be absolute belters.

Sorry just not the same sat at home pretending you're a Man Utd fan and shouting at the box.

It might be a relatively new thing for Bristolians to support Man U, Arsenal and Chelsea en masse. However, during the '50s, Bristolians Arthur Milton played for England and Arsenal then Bristol City and Roy Bentley played for Bristol City then Chelsea and England. So, 60 odd years ago Bristol produced footballers good enough to play for Chelsea and Arsenal and now Bristol only produces top flight top club plastic supporters. :shifty:

Bit much when parents are wearing the gear I agree, but I wouldn't read too much into kids wearing shirts of other teams.

My son loved football shirts when he was young and had all manner of teams, even a Wigan away shirt, just because he like how it looked.

He always had a City one though and I always took him to games, he's 24 now and a ST holder with the customary City tattoo that all the young ones seem to have!

I travel to England (about 1 000 miles) at least twice a year to watch Bristol City because I like english football. I agree that it gets pretty expensive per game but it's the whole package that I want, a nice country with the sort of football I prefer, nice cozy pubs and ale that you don't get in Sweden. I also support a local team in Sweden.

I will never desert my local club but having been to Premier League games through my job etc I can sort of understand why some people 'glory hunt' - i've been to Old Trafford, The Emirates, White Hart Lane, Stamford Bridge, Villa Park and Upton Park quite a few times all in the line of work.

And whilst I didn't care which team won a few things struck me.

The atmospheres at Villa Park and White Hart Lane particularly were unreal. And that was really intoxicating. Imagine Ashton Gate being like that Palace play off game EVERY GAME!

And obviously the players but in ways I didn't expect. At Spurs vs Man U I watched Jaap Stam, Phil Neville and Paul Scholes put more effort into their warm up than alot of our guys put into a game! They were awesome and it showed how determined they were to approach the game in the right way.

Must admit though, I was gutted to see the 'Bristol & Bath Blues' flag at Stamford Bridge.

I will never desert Bristol City but can understand why some do given the players, atmospheres, crowds and grounds.

Will never understand the armchair Prem fans from Bristol though, ever...

I travel to England (about 1 000 miles) at least twice a year to watch Bristol City because I like english football. I agree that it gets pretty expensive per game but it's the whole package that I want, a nice country with the sort of football I prefer, nice cozy pubs and ale that you don't get in Sweden. I also support a local team in Sweden.

I see your stance as you live outside of the UK, But you support your local side in Sweden, It's the Mums and Dads that 'support' the big teams and encourage their kids to do the same

I know a friend who works at a school about 5 minutes away from Ashton Gate. He says that whenever City lose a Tuesday night match the atmosphere at the school the next day is horrible. It's more like working with a bunch of zombies than kids! 

Hope for the future, but this is another problem with football that needs to be addressed. We may get to a stage where attendances begin to drop because of it, and small local clubs begin to struggle. 

I will never desert my local club but having been to Premier League games through my job etc I can sort of understand why some people 'glory hunt' - i've been to Old Trafford, The Emirates, White Hart Lane, Stamford Bridge, Villa Park and Upton Park quite a few times all in the line of work.

And whilst I didn't care which team won a few things struck me.

The atmospheres at Villa Park and White Hart Lane particularly were unreal. And that was really intoxicating. Imagine Ashton Gate being like that Palace play off game EVERY GAME!

And obviously the players but in ways I didn't expect. At Spurs vs Man U I watched Jaap Stam, Phil Neville and Paul Scholes put more effort into their warm up than alot of our guys put into a game! They were awesome and it showed how determined they were to approach the game in the right way.

Must admit though, I was gutted to see the 'Bristol & Bath Blues' flag at Stamford Bridge.

I will never desert Bristol City but can understand why some do given the players, atmospheres, crowds and grounds.

Will never understand the armchair Prem fans from Bristol though, ever...

I think that's the point. The vast majority of these idiots in Bristol wearing prem club shirts never have or will experience the real experience of the team the claim they"support". Certainly not on anything like a regular basis.

A bit more success would be nice, but wouldn't change supporting my Bristol City for anything. I have experienced a few "big games/grounds/teams" as a neutral but it just means nothing to me.

I can honestly say that I didnt choose to support this football club.. It kind of chose me, with it being in the family for 4 generations. If I was a young lad with no real affiliation to anybody and could choose which team to follow, i can see how the lure of man-yoo or chelski would be hard to resist instead of constant misery at the city every week.

The solution is simple - create a succesfull team that this city can be proud of, then we will see less and less premier league shirts and more bcfc shirts.

Bit much when parents are wearing the gear I agree, but I wouldn't read too much into kids wearing shirts of other teams.

My son loved football shirts when he was young and had all manner of teams, even a Wigan away shirt, just because he like how it looked.

He always had a City one though and I always took him to games, he's 24 now and a ST holder with the customary City tattoo that all the young ones seem to have!

I was a bit like that when I was younger.

Absolutely football mad and city mad, would never support anyone else other than City but had a few football shirts from other teams which I wore to have a kick about in. (Mostly foreign ones picked up abroad like Barca, Madrid and I had Lazio one at one point! I did have a Newcastle one as we swapped it for a City shirt with a Geordie family and a Villa one as Scotty was my favourite player and he came from there!).

Wouldn't do it now, of course.

I get your point and it is annoying but in my boy's case when he played for a well known local boys team 15 of the 16 in the squad were City season ticket holders and the other was a regular in N. Bristol, this was in the Johnson  glory years mind and most of them also followed prem teams as well, City were a decent team then and that i think is the difference, the kids aren't so keen to wear their City shirts while we are bottom of the 3rd division, tbh things aren't much different to when i was a nipper many years ago except you saw more Leeds & Liverpool tops then than any other team and certainly no Chelsea tops

Grew up in Bristol and despite being the wrong side of the river made the right choice of club to support and was on the terraces regularly( when I wasn't playing) until I moved away with my job.

Have been in Peterborough since 85 and shortly after moving here was invited to a Posh game by a local solicitor. I discovered that it held little interest for me, because it wasn't MY team playing. The only time I've been to London Road since is when City are in town.

My local team will always be Bristol City and I can't understand how Bristolians can support anyone other than Rovers or City. Similarly up here why don't locals support Posh?

On another thread many are taking delight at Man Us struggles and how plastic fans are reacting ( good isn't it?!) Many so called Man U fans have only known continued success since they started supporting them and I suspect some probably only started supporting Man U because of their success. They just don't know how to deal with the realisation ( and obvious embarrassment) that they might come away empty handed this season. I've been interested to read the comments of long standing Man U fans on other forums, who experienced relegation in the 70s,  laying into fellow fans who cannot accept the club being anything but winners.

Supporters/fans of the majority of clubs (like us) know mainly disappointment and failure and while we don't like it at the moment, we understand and begrudgingly accept that it goes with the territory. However, for fans like us see success, even though it is rare and fleeting, I reckon it feels so much sweeter than year after year of ongoing domination feels like to fans who have never been to Old Trafford but wear the red devils shirt proudly round town centres up and down the country.

The thing is, they don't travel,99% of them watch all there football on the tv.

A lot of kids think that Football is now a tv programme.

You're so right mate, buy a shirt, watch it on telly, hey presto instant fan!,

then sit back and bask in the reflected glory, ok for little kids I suppose, but

deeply embarassing for the glory hunting lumps you see about, its funny when you

wind-up these lumps and ask if they're fron Liverpool,London Manchester etc,(they never are)

Total w--kers.

My son is 3 and I will be devastated if he ends up supporting a Prem club (unless it's City!).  I'm hoping his first game will be when the redelopment is completed (2016-17 season I believe).  I'd love to think he'll be immediately hooked as I was when my Dad first took me, but he will inevitably see Premier League / Champions League games on the TV and it's difficult for a damp Tuesday night at the Gate to compete with that.  I'm just hoping that when his time comes, he'll be watching an exciting team competing in the upper divisions in a top-notch stadium. 

My Grandson plays for Cardiff City Academy and is entitled to free tickets to watch Premier League football but hasn't taken up the offer even ONCE because he is Bristol City through and through. He could have claimed a free ticket for Cardiff City v The Real Non-Sellout City last season but didn't because he wanted to be in the away end with his other mate who is down there and supports City, joining in with the songs, rather than be with his Cardiff supporting "football mates".

And then they went to training a couple of days later and got a couple of the Swansea supporting lads to join in with a slightly cleaner version of the "you used to be blue but now you're red............" song.

It's the way he has been brought up by his Dad and it will always be this way. Some Dad's will ensure their children will support a Bristol team whether that be us or Horfield Rovers and others simply cannot be ar$ed. No different now than it was 30 years ago. Plenty of my Grandsons mates either support City or, if they prefer a Premier League team, at least go and watch them now and again.

Arm chair fans are a joke. Never been to a game in their life usually, yet are the ones with all the opinions down the pub. Thats why I never watch england down the pub. Your not watching a game with real fans.

The mentality of arm chair fans is odd when you think about it. Its like anyone else watchin eastenders and suddenly taking an unhealthy interest in max branning. They suddenly decide that hes the character to root for and decide to start dressing like him.

Archived