IGNORED

Possibly A Needless Signing?

DownendRed97

El Abd.

I mean, we'd just started looking strong as a defensive 3 of Osborne, Flint and Williams. Then SC decides to break that partnership by signing El Abd (this May have been masterminded by Keith Burt however). I would be fine with it if he had maybe started on the bench and been given a chance if one of the 3 mentioned had bad performance, but none of them deserved to be dropped.

What was ridiculous today was that SC obviously knows that Osborne is too good to be dropped, but playing him at right wing back was a terrible decision. I don't think anyone would have dreamt of playing our 6ft 2inch, big, strong centre back on the wing.

Osborne looked arsed off today, he only passed backwards and did once once make a run forward. I do not blame the bloke as he has been playing well, just signed permanently, and was playing in a position completely alien to him. I felt quite sorry for him today, he was treated extremely unfairly. And all this came about as El Abd has now taken his place.

The whole team today (except Elliott and Gillett and maybe Reid) didn't look up for a fight, and I don't know whether this May have come about due to SC's fiddling with an unbeaten team and back line.

I hope we pick ourselves up from this, but I still don't see the point in signing El Abd and then including him straight away.

I had that same feeling when he signed. Wasn't a priority position unless he was significantly better. Flint, Williams, Osborne, Carey, El Abd, Wilson, Fontaine. 7 centre halves is too many.

Mitch Brundle can be included in that as well. 8 centre backs on the books. Even if a few are going in the summer it wasn't a priority for now. Especially if it means Osbourne gets shunted out to right wing back.

We need to give El-Abd a chance though, still early days and I think he's the type of defender we need but he certainly wasn't a priority.

Mitch Brundle can be included in that as well. 8 centre backs on the books. Even if a few are going in the summer it wasn't a priority for now. Especially if it means Osbourne gets shunted out to right wing back.

We need to give El-Abd a chance though, still early days and I think he's the type of defender we need but he certainly wasn't a priority.

Personally think it was a good signing and a priority that sod should have been looking for in the summer. It is the organiser and bit of nastiness we have needed for a long time. Shame we signed nearly a whole new team without getting what I consider this type of signing as our number one priority. Unfortunately we went down the big lumbering centre back route.

Personally think it was a good signing and a priority that sod should have been looking for in the summer. It is the organiser and bit of nastiness we have needed for a long time. Shame we signed nearly a whole new team without getting what I consider this type of signing as our number one priority. Unfortunately we went down the big lumbering centre route.

No doubt El-Abd is the type of defender we have needed for a long time. Whether he goes on to live up to that only time will tell I guess. I just think having 8 centre backs on the books is crazy. It's no wonder why the squad isn't 'balanced'.

Thankfully 3 of those are OCC in the summer, otherwise we will again run the risk of having a huge squad full of players on good money and not playing.

No doubt El-Abd is the type of defender we have needed for a long time. Whether he goes on to live up to that only time will tell I guess. I just think having 8 centre backs on the books is crazy. It's no wonder why the squad isn't 'balanced'.

Thankfully 3 of those are OCC in the summer, otherwise we will again run the risk of having a huge squad full of players on good money and not playing.

Aye carey fonts probably going wouldn't mind betting Brundle is released. It looks okay to me. Still have massive reservations about flint and wouldn't mind him moving on truth be told.

Aye carey fonts probably going wouldn't mind betting Brundle is released. It looks okay to me. Still have massive reservations about flint and wouldn't mind him moving on truth be told.

Wilson will be gone also.

Some weeks Flint has been excellent, others abysmal. Hopefully he can improve enough to be successful with us.

I do hope the El Abd signing works out, but I think over his first 2 games for us his selection has upset what was beginning to show signs of a decent back 3 (Os-Flint-Will).

Versus MK Dons, it was very disappointing to see Williams dropped.  In my opinion he's been our best CB this season and balances out the 3 man back line, being left footed.

For El-Abd (a right sided CB all his life) to come in and replace our most consistent CB on the left side was strange - and resulted in a mistake for the first goal against.

Versus Wolves, again the selection of El Abd pushed Osborne into a highly unfamiliar role (I'm still amazed that Osborne was playing wing back - astonishing).

I just think Os-Flint-Will were beginning to show some cohesion.  And it appears, judging by today's showing, that Williams may have had a bit of confidence knocked out of him after being unjustifiably dropped last week.

Wilson will be gone also.

Some weeks Flint has been excellent, others abysmal. Hopefully he can improve enough to be successful with us.

Agree, but Flint seemed to be finding some consistency in the back three with Williams and Osborne.., last 2 games he has looked fairly dodgy again. We need consistently at this time in the season and changing the quite successful back line was IMO, not helpful.

I do hope the El Abd signing works out, but I think over his first 2 games for us his selection has upset what was beginning to show signs of a decent back 3 (Os-Flint-Will).

Versus MK Dons, it was very disappointing to see Williams dropped.  In my opinion he's been our best CB this season and balances out the 3 man back line, being left footed.

For El-Abd (a right sided CB all his life) to come in and replace our most consistent CB on the left side was strange - and resulted in a mistake for the first goal against.

Versus Wolves, again the selection of El Abd pushed Osborne into a highly unfamiliar role (I'm still amazed that Osborne was playing wing back - astonishing).

I just think Os-Flint-Will were beginning to show some cohesion.  And it appears, judging by today's showing, that Williams may have had a bit of confidence knocked out of him after being unjustifiably dropped last week.

Precisely! Let's just hope Williams and Osborne can bounce back from both being treated unfairly in the last two games

Agree, but Flint seemed to be finding some consistency in the back three with Williams and Osborne.., last 2 games he has looked fairly dodgy again. We need consistently at this time in the season and changing the quite successful back line was IMO, not helpful.

Agree.

I'm not sure El-Abd is suited to playing on the right of left of a back 3. He looks as though he very much needs to be central.

As for Flint he of late has looked good. The last two games though I have to agree with you, looked dodgy.

SC1 signed a near 30 year old on a silly long contract and high wages to 'sort out' our defence (Damian Stewart)  and we all know how that worked out... can't help but think SC2 may have repeated history with the signing of El Abd.

The only reason I could see for signing El Abd was if we were going back to playing a back FOUR.

SC clearly doesn't rate Maloney - to the point that he'd rather play a CH at RWB rather than put Maloney in when Wagstaff was injured.

Maloney joins Pack, Wynter, Fielding, Bryan, and Marv as players he either doesn't really rate or thinks are past it (Marv).

Hence his stated wish to sign 2 midfielders and a left winger

SC clearly doesn't rate Maloney - to the point that he'd rather play a CH at RWB rather than put Maloney in when Wagstaff was injured.

Maloney joins Pack, Wynter, Fielding, Bryan, and Marv as players he either doesn't really rate or thinks are past it (Marv).

Hence his stated wish to sign 2 midfielders and a left winger

I can't help but agree here. For my tupence worth Marvin has been long gone in spirit and needs new pastures. Fielding had a poor start but I wonder if he is improving in training. Wynter we have barely seen and Pack would not be here if Kelly was fit. I always thought Maloney was decent and Joe Bryan was class. Clearly I am missing something. The decision to play Osbourne on the wing was bizarre and the signing of El Abt has unsettled the back three of Williams Flint and Osbourne. Still what the **** do I know!!!

We need a goalkeeper Kelly back in the mix and another forward IMO Any news on Kelly!!?

It 's probably part of Cotts long term plan. Eventually El Ab will play in a back four. This is fine as long as the short term plan works. - i e City stay in league 1. Personally I think a bit more effort should go into this short term plan.

I can't help but agree here. For my tupence worth Marvin has been long gone in spirit and needs new pastures. Fielding had a poor start but I wonder if he is improving in training. Wynter we have barely seen and Pack would not be here if Kelly was fit. I always thought Maloney was decent and Joe Bryan was class. Clearly I am missing something. The decision to play Osbourne on the wing was bizarre and the signing of El Abt has unsettled the back three of Williams Flint and Osbourne. Still what the **** do I know!!!

We need a goalkeeper Kelly back in the mix and another forward IMO Any news on Kelly!!?

Marv may be getting on abit, but he was the only player yesterday throwing himself into challenges, running his heart out and showing real passion. IMO he should play every week on the back of yesterday's performance, however he has a tendency to only perform every now and again

Archived