IGNORED

Reasons To Be Cheerful - 'believe'

PFree

Let's face it, none of us want to be where we are and the nature of last nights defeat was difficult to take BUT I can see us getting out of this mess and then having next season under SC as a period when we can properly rebuild on firmer foundations, this slide has to stop somewhere.

Okay, we've just lost two away games but being realistic, what more did we expect when playing Wolves away and a Brentford side who have won 10 out of 10 at home and are clearly top for a reason?

There is hope though for those who care to find it!!

Our goal difference suggests we aren't as bad a side as some might think...we haven't played well but with the odd single goal role win instead of a draw and our position would look totally different.

We have undoubtedly improved under SC...perhaps with the exception of last night's game, we have played better football, been more committed and motivated and the side have looked better on the park.

In February, we play a different standard of opposition, with 4 out of 6 fixtures against sides in the bottom half of the table, in 17th, 16th, 18th and 21st - all winnable.

In March, we have 3 out of 6 games against lower half teams - all winnable with a couple of the others offering draw possibilities.

April will be crucial with 4 consecutive games against teams in 19th, 24th, 20th and 15th - all winnable!

We still have 57 points to play for and I can see us winning at least 8 of our remaining 19 games, and with other draws, even allowing for the loss of some of the harder games, we can, and I believe will, stay up.

This all depends on us winning games but with the squad we have and recent new additions, we can do this - that said we can also play our part, providing we choose to do so?

COYR

I actually think I've given up now

We are going to get relegated. We are going to be in Division 4 next season. We are going to have Bristol derbies next season (G*s survive on the last day to really top the season off)

Get used to the idea now, and it won't seem so bad when it eventually happens

Nothing against Cotts, he's poking a horse that has been dying for some time. I just don't think he can save us, SOD certainly wouldn't have either

We are ******

Let's face it, none of us want to be where we are and the nature of last nights defeat was difficult to take BUT I can see us getting out of this mess and then having next season under SC as a period when we can properly rebuild on firmer foundations, this slide has to stop somewhere.

Okay, we've just lost two away games but being realistic, what more did we expect when playing Wolves away and a Brentford side who have won 10 out of 10 at home and are clearly top for a reason?

Our goal difference suggests we aren't as bad a side as some might think...we haven't played well but with the odd single goal role win instead of a draw and our position would look totally different.

We have undoubtedly improved under SC...perhaps with the exception of last night's game, we have played better football, been more committed and motivated and the side have looked better on the park.

In February, we play a different standard of opposition, with 4 out of 6 fixtures against sides in the bottom half of the table, in 17th, 16th, 18th and 21st - all winnable.

In March, we have 3 out of 6 games against lower half teams - all winnable with a couple of the others offering draw possibilities.

April will be crucial with 4 consecutive games against teams in 19th, 24th, 20th and 15th - all winnable!

We still have 57 points to play for and I can see us winning at least 8 of our remaining 19 games, and with other draws, even allowing for the loss of some of the harder games, we can, and I believe will, stay up.

This all depends on us winning games but with the squad we have and recent new additions, we can do this - that said we can also play our part, providing we choose to do so?

COYR

How the hell did you come to this conclusion?  We've won 4 out of 27 so far.  Where is the major upturn in results coming from?

Wake up and smell the coffee!

4th division footbal next season - enjoy!

As Lansdown would say "You've never had it so good!" and "Aren't you glad you've got a billionnaire like me in charge to guide the club to the dizzy heights of 4th division football?"

The club is going to hell in a pisspot, and there are still people who think there's a bright horizon.

Keep your knickers on ladies. Anything out of the last 2 games would have been a major bonus. There's a lot of football to be played and points to be won between now and the end of the season. Agree with the OP... hysterical fickle fans is not what the doctor ordered

January originally looked like the month from hell with 5 difficult games including 3 away against the top 3 sides. Bradford away and MK at home also looked tricky. Obviously the Orient match was postponed but we've got to the end of the month within 3 points of teams above the relegation zone.

It could've been better but it also could've been worse. According to those who went last night we were woeful, so let's hope we sort that out for Carlisle on Saturday. We need as many wins as possible in 2 months in which we have much more winnable games.

Wake up and smell the coffee!

4th division footbal next season - enjoy!

As Lansdown would say "You've never had it so good!" and "Aren't you glad you've got a billionnaire like me in charge to guide the club to the dizzy heights of 4th division football?"

The club is going to hell in a pisspot, and there are still people who think there's a bright horizon.

Ok, so last night was poor, and even the most optimistic would have struggled to expect anymore than we got. However, the position of this FC will be better understood at the end of Feb, where I genuinely believe that we will clear relegation.

The constant sniping of the major share holder by posters appears to be a 'I told you so' attitude, where a degree of bitterness over his tenure presides. Do you think he has planned to fail? Do you think he has taken a perverse satisfaction to see his investment fail? I am sure he does not want or need your empathy, but as he continues to clear the debts, granted sanctioned by him, he has the best interests of this club at heart,

Onward and upwards, see you at Leyton Orient?

We are at the stage now where we have to win every other game to acheive enough points to stay up. And that form has to be consistant for 19 games. We havnt had that sort of form over that period of games since our playoff season. Look it up. Pick any 19 block of games where we have averaged 1.5 points.

I cant see this team going on the best run form weve had for the last 6 years. Id love to be proved wrong but too much needs changing in too little time.

• Admin

We are at the stage now where we have to win every other game to acheive enough points to stay up. And that form has to be consistant for 19 games. We havnt had that sort of form over that period of games since our playoff season. Look it up. Pick any 19 block of games where we have averaged 1.5 points.

I cant see this team going on the best run form weve had for the last 6 years. Id hate to be proved wrong but too much needs changing in too little time.

and like it or not is the one sole FACT that so many people continue to bury their head in the sand about - ironically just like many did this time last year

Of course there IS a chance we can get out of it, but it needs a massive upturn in fortunes in the coming weeks

Interesting set of responses which tell that after an improved run and two away defeats against top three sides, just how low some people are again...but looking at the table, we have games in hand over most club's above us and are only three points adrift - it's a bit early to feel we are doomed just yet?

Confidence plays a great part in football and it's important that as the twelth man, we don't transmit desperation and negativity onto the pitch - how is that going to help anybody - surely it makes more sense to get behind the lads again starting this Saturday?

I have faith in SC and that we can secure enough wins to stay up...

COYR

Interesting set of responses which tell that after an improved run and two away defeats against top three sides, just how low some people are again...but looking at the table, we have games in hand over most club's above us and are only three points adrift - it's a bit early to feel we are doomed just yet?

Confidence plays a great part in football and it's important that as the twelth man, we don't transmit desperation and negativity onto the pitch - how is that going to help anybody - surely it makes more sense to get behind the lads again starting this Saturday?

COYR

I'm trying to be positive but we've won 4 yes 4 games all season where are the wins coming from that are going to see us safe?.

Looking at the league table from 2005/06 for the same number of games, we're somewhat behind where we were at that point (31 from 27 then, 24 from 27 now) but relatively speaking we were only safe by 3 points at that point in 06, and we're only adrift by 3 points now. Back then we still had to play 5 of the top 6 (3 away, 2 home) and we ended up winning 1 and losing 4. Now we have 4 of them left to play; 1 home and 3 away.

At this point (27 games) in 2006, our next game was away at Colchester, who finished in a promotion spot, and we lost. If we win our next game we'll have 30 from 28 games in contrast with 31 from 28 in 2006).

It's probably only useful to draw these parallels a certain distance before they become irrelevant, but clearly we're not much worse off in terms of points than we were at this point in 2006, a season that we actually finished in 9th place; so it's not time to panic yet.

Of course, Steve Cotterill is not Gary Johnson and for me there was more evidence that Johnson was doing something to turn the team round, but the stats show that all is not necessarily lost.

Edit: If anyone's interested, the historic league table info came from here: http://www.statto.com/football/stats/england/league-one/2005-2006/table/2006-01-14

COYR

How can you say that the doom and gloom has appeared after two defeats?

The club's general disposition for at least the past 4 years has been one of a downward trend.

Those that open their eyes the widest, can see that this trend does not look like halting, let alone reversing, in the near future.

There is nothing - from a results and general form viewpoint - that encourages me to think an upturn in form is around the corner.

Thus, my disposition is that I feel we are heading for the basement and, even then, for the bottom half of that league.

How can you say that the doom and gloom has appeared after two defeats?

The club's general disposition for at least the past 4 years has been one of a downward trend.

Those that open their eyes the widest, can see that this trend does not look like halting, let alone reversing, in the near future.

There is nothing - from a results and general form viewpoint - that encourages me to think an upturn in form is around the corner.

Thus, my disposition is that I feel we are heading for the basement and, even then, for the bottom half of that league.

^ this

We're screwed. Finally came to the realisation when we were 0-2 vs MK. We're down, simple as

I'll take it, as long as the deadwood gets cleared out (not sure if I've copied and pasted that from this time last year or not......)

I think our players just cannot function without confidence. The knowledge that a single mistake will likely lose us a game or points is just too much for our defence.

While our strikers cannot hit a barn door then I think we will remain rooted. This is the key to breeding confidence and reducing the pressure in front of the keeper.

Yes they can score, but they miss so much created for them.

I don't believe anybody knows the answer to the conundrum of Bristol City FC. And that includes the last 5 managers. On paper, we have the players adequate to the task of avoiding relegation, we have the financial resources for a League 1 club, we have the fans, a regular 11K at home and a good following away. We have been in a downward spiral now for 5 years. My own opinion, for what it's worth, is that if we survive this year, we will reverse the trend and improve next year. What is needed to survive this year is motivation and confidence. We need our manager and his coaching team to impose discipline on this bunch of players and to inspire and motivate them at the same time. It is as simple and as complicated as that. But that is why Steve Cotterill gets paid more than I ever earned and is liable to get sacked at a moments notice if he doesn't succeed.

I don't believe anybody knows the answer to the conundrum of Bristol City FC. And that includes the last 5 managers. On paper, we have the players adequate to the task of avoiding relegation, we have the financial resources for a League 1 club, we have the fans, a regular 11K at home and a good following away. We have been in a downward spiral now for 5 years. My own opinion, for what it's worth, is that if we survive this year, we will reverse the trend and improve next year. What is needed to survive this year is motivation and confidence. We need our manager and his coaching team to impose discipline on this bunch of players and to inspire and motivate them at the same time. It is as simple and as complicated as that. But that is why Steve Cotterill gets paid more than I ever earned and is liable to get sacked at a moments notice if he doesn't succeed.

With more than likely a big pay out.

The same goes for the players.

COYR

It's not losing those games,it's the manner in which they were lost...and as for reading through the fixture list and 'targeting' supposed easier games its the road to failure-yet again,and for the faint hearted only.all league games give the oppertunity to gain points.the moment you start looking to Shrewsbury and Carlisle with wide eyed hope your lost.

Archived