IGNORED

Our 20Th (?) Signing This Season

LondonBristolian

Don't get me wrong - Moores is a bit of a coup and I'm pleased we've got him in but I think this is our 20th signing of the season.

Last season we made 17.

I think if we want to know why we've struggled so much in recent years the answer might be right there - we badly need to get a core of players in the side and stick with them...

Don't get me wrong - Moores is a bit of a coup and I'm pleased we've got him in but I think this is our 20th signing of the season.

Last season we made 17.

I think if we want to know why we've struggled so much in recent years the answer might be right there - we badly need to get a core of players in the side and stick with them...

Reckon you're right. This is the 4th keeper this season isn't it!

I'd go with what we've got now, unless there is a quality DM waiting in the wings. Bringing players in all the time just unsettles the team, we've got a big enough squad to be able to cope with injuries and the likes of Burns, Bryan and Wynter in reserve. Get on with it now.

We've also had a lot more players leave since last season than in previous years:

Dean Gerken, Tom Heaton, Lewin Nyatanga, Paul Anderson, Steven Davies, Jon Stead, Cole Skuse, Neil Kilkenny, Ryan Taylor all left

Marlon Harewood, Nicky Shorey were both free transfers in that moved on

A number of players didn't have their contract renewed if I remember correctly

And how many loans have we had in this year to cover? Lewis Dunk, Simon Gillett, Tyrone Barnett, Wade Elliott

Had we not seen such an exodus out of the club, I would be worried but this really has been a transformation year

We've also had a lot more players leave since last season than in previous years:

Dean Gerken, Tom Heaton, Lewin Nyatanga, Paul Anderson, Steven Davies, Jon Stead, Cole Skuse, Neil Kilkenny, Ryan Taylor all left

Marlon Harewood, Nicky Shorey were both free transfers in that moved on

A number of players didn't have their contract renewed if I remember correctly

And how many loans have we had in this year to cover? Lewis Dunk, Simon Gillett, Tyrone Barnett, Wade Elliott

Had we not seen such an exodus out of the club, I would be worried but this really has been a transformation year

As I say, we brought in 17 last season as well.  And 15 the season before that.  So it's not a new thing.  And I don't think it's a coincidence that constantly ripping up and rebuilding the squad has coincided with our nosedive over the last three seasons.

And I can't help noticing that recent signings such as Moore and El-Abd are coming in to positions where we've already made multiple signings and displacing players we've already brought in.  And I can certainly see the argument for us needing a new 'keeper and new CB but it does make me wonder whether it'll be all change again next season when we decide this group of player aren't up to the task.

And at some point we ultimately need to build a team...

As I say, we brought in 17 last season as well.  And 15 the season before that.  So it's not a new thing.  And I don't think it's a coincidence that constantly ripping up and rebuilding the squad has coincided with our nosedive over the last three seasons.

And I can't help noticing that recent signings such as Moore and El-Abd are coming in to positions where we've already made multiple signings and displacing players we've already brought in.  And I can certainly see the argument for us needing a new 'keeper and new CB but it does make me wonder whether it'll be all change again next season when we decide this group of player aren't up to the task.

And at some point we ultimately need to build a team...

Agree that the re-building every season contributed to our downfall and was a poor tactic in hindsight but we didn't have much choice this year given our relegation - I think we all just want some stability now!

Everyone demanded a clear out, we got one (to a certain degree) What did you then expect, to enter a season with 10 players?

We've got a fully capable squad, both for now and the future. It's really down to them to prove they're up for the challenge. No excuses, they've had enough time to 'gel'.

Everyone demanded a clear out, we got one (to a certain degree) What did you then expect, to enter a season with 10 players?

We've got a fully capable squad, both for now and the future. It's really down to them to prove they're up for the challenge. No excuses, they've had enough time to 'gel'.

To an extent, I expected exactly what we got.  A load of new young players signed with the intention of them merging together to build a team that would work for us in the future.  But I kind of hoped that we wouldn't already be replacing some of those players come January.

I agree we've got a fully capable squad who need time to prove themselves.  I completely and utterly disagree that they've had time to gel.  Firstly four months isn't that long for a whole new set of players and secondly we've constantly changed formation, who's playing in defence, who's playing in midfield etc.  I don't think any team where players don't have time to learn to play together can ever be said to have had time to gel.

Ad obviously in some cases changes are necessary.  For example, neither of our keeper have covered themselves in glory.  I've got some sympathy with Fielding who had a dreadful start and lost all confidence but that doesn't change the fact we can't rely on him at the moment.

But other times I'm less sure.  Moloney seems to have been dropped for no real reason beyond the new boss not fancying him much and I'd argue Joe Bryan and Jordan Wynter have shown promise but now (especially in the latter case) seem to be nowhere near the starting XI.

Obviously we were struggling under SOD and we can't just wait to be relegated but I think SC inherited a decent squad from SOD and it's a bit disheartening to see it all being overhauled again.

Stay up this season, and we'll be fine going forward. I'm convinced of that, crucially important season in our long term future, we can't afford to have yet another season of transition.

That last sentence is precisely my point really.  If we survive the players we've got in this season will make up our squad for future years then hopefully we can start to get somewhere.  But we cannot just throw out the manager and the entire squad season after season without expecting to be anywhere other than where we are right now or worse.

I hate to say it, but its not necessary to turn out have the squad when a new manger comes around.

Now i dont like the dude but look at what that clown Pulis has done at Palace, he hasnt changed the squad too dramatically yet there out of the relegation zone and dont look like being dragged back into trouble.

And this was a team that until he took over were everyone's dead certs for the drop.....

We have a great squad of very talented footballers, the problem as i see it is they are all individuals and not a team, I would guess its the managers job to get them together and play as a team not keep investing in more individuals 

We have a great squad of very talented footballers, the problem as i see it is they are all individuals and not a team, I would guess its the managers job to get them together and play as a team not keep investing in more individuals 

Exactly that.  And the more players we bring in, the longer it'll take to build a team.

Relegation ensured the clear out. So many players had better offers and took them not wanting to play at the very level they took us down to. It's a hard task to build the team up from scratch, when at first we were still crippled by the wages of some players who have since moved on. A couple of injuries, loans which didn't work, change of manager, stadium distractions and we are again swimming against the tide.

Players we bring in, whether short term or permanent should be like subs, only happen if they are better than we have or slightly different than we've got. All players need competition. We can't spend a season trying to figure out our best team when there is a risk of relegation, every game passing is 3 less points and if we don't get anything out of them, well it's serious stuff. I can't really work out why we are again in this position, yet it's happening before my eyes and the cycle continues. Will we again see an exodus of players next summer...

It looks like we have added experience and tried to stop the rot during this window but I'm not sure what else we can do right now as we must be looking less attractive by the day. I hope the new players can add some passion, belief and spirit back as from what I read it was evidently lacking at Brentford. Losing is one thing, I think people can accept that (we've had enough practice) but going down without a fight is spineless and a different matter.

Managers come and go, usually with a nice payoff. Players too. It's us poor fans who are the most loyal of the lot but mostly un rewarded and unrecognised, and still we are here.

Archived