IGNORED

Dillema!

City As F

Why do you need to go to the birth? Our fathers didn't bother why should you

Yes, that baffles me too. When did this become compulsory?

It simply wouldn't have occurred to my father to be present at my birth. In fact, it probably wouldn't have been permitted by the hospital.

It simply wouldn't have occurred to my father to be present at my birth. In fact, it probably wouldn't have been permitted by the hospital.

It's not compulsory but I hope that most fathers love their children and wife's enough to be there.  You write like it is a chore to be at the birth of your own child. 

It's not compulsory but I hope that most fathers love their children and wife's enough to be there.  You write like it is a chore to be at the birth of your own child. 

Merely pointing out that it would have been considered exceedingly odd in the 1940's. Are you suggesting that men in those days loved their wives and children less then than they do now?

Not compulsory, but very rarely these days are there circumstances that prevent a father from being able to be there.  Companies see this as standard procedure to leave the office to be there.

What's more baffling is that it was ever seen as normal for the father to avoid it.

Merely pointing out that it would have been considered exceedingly odd in the 1940's. Are you suggesting that men in those days loved their wives and children less then than they do now?

The way you wrote it made it sound that you didn't understand why a father would want to be there.

I am not suggesting what you suggested I was suggesting.  I know that in the 1940's most things regarding the birth were done differently.  But nowadays, thankfully, it is extremely rare for a father not to be there. 

The OP doesn't say whether this is number one, number five or what. First children are often late and usually come with plenty of warning. By the time number five arrives the kid will be hanging on to the chord trying not to fall out at about 30 minutes notice. Recommended ways of speeding things up are hot baths, hot curry or hot lovin', or of course all three. 

The way you wrote it made it sound that you didn't understand why a father would want to be there.

I am not suggesting what you suggested I was suggesting.  I know that in the 1940's most things regarding the birth were done differently.  But nowadays, thankfully, it is extremely rare for a father not to be there. 

Indeed, and who's to say that in 70 years time, it won't be the other way round again? Just pointing out that each era has its own customs and each succeeding generation thinks that its own is uniquely right.

The OP doesn't say whether this is number one, number five or what. First children are often late and usually come with plenty of warning. By the time number five arrives the kid will be hanging on to the chord trying not to fall out at about 30 minutes notice. Recommended ways of speeding things up are hot baths, hot curry or hot lovin', or of course all three.

This is true. As a fifth child I can distinctly recall wedging my feet and arms into my mother's uterus in an attempt to hold myself in and reach full term.

Archived