IGNORED

Fans And Understanding The Game

CosmosUK

I appreciate that not all people will understand the mechanics of how football tactics work but especially where I sit (Dolman F) there are numerous people that have been going 5+ years, you'd have thought they would have learnt something about football by now. Screaming at players to play 40 yard cross field passes along the back four, What is that all about? Schoolboy football: You dont do that across your own defensive line when your midfield is in the oppositions box during a set piece....

Secondly, can we try to get something clear, a 3-5-2 should be a ball retention formation, aiming to play on the counter attack, those expecting a free flowing attacking game with this formation are clearly mistake. Can I add I do not know why SC persists with playing this shape?? Cunningham is the only player capable of producing enough stamina to keep this going for 90 minutes, even Moloney (who is a decent FB) is not a RWB. Wagstaff is neither a winger or a fullback, in my opinion he should play CM as he has an engine but not a lot of technique.

The players are playing the ball across the back four because that is what they are told to do by the manager. 90% of teams who play away are looking for a point, and play on the counter, the point in ball retention is that you frustrate and test the patience of the opposition (and your own home fans) until one of the opposition players is sucked out of position and opens a gap up for a killer pass.

Unfortunately its not working,JET is meant to be playing deeper, granted,but picking the ballup on the halfway line is ridiculous. The only player suited to this formation in midfield is pack, and to a degree gillett. Go back to 4-4-2 or 4-5-1 and stop picking continental formations you have no hope of making work with the players we have.

Ps, to the masses that cheer when wes burns touches the ball, take a better look, tries to beat the man everytime when crossing from deep is easier. Fair play he scored today but it was a hell of a lucky one. Seems him reid and bryan  can do no wrong.

I appreciate that not all people will understand the mechanics of how football tactics work but especially where I sit (Dolman F) there are numerous people that have been going 5+ years, you'd have thought they would have learnt something about football by now. Screaming at players to play 40 yard cross field passes along the back four, What is that all about? Schoolboy football: You dont do that across your own defensive line when your midfield is in the oppositions box during a set piece....

Secondly, can we try to get something clear, a 3-5-2 should be a ball retention formation, aiming to play on the counter attack, those expecting a free flowing attacking game with this formation are clearly mistake. Can I add I do not know why SC persists with playing this shape?? Cunningham is the only player capable of producing enough stamina to keep this going for 90 minutes, even Moloney (who is a decent FB) is not a RWB. Wagstaff is neither a winger or a fullback, in my opinion he should play CM as he has an engine but not a lot of technique.

The players are playing the ball across the back four because that is what they are told to do by the manager. 90% of teams who play away are looking for a point, and play on the counter, the point in ball retention is that you frustrate and test the patience of the opposition (and your own home fans) until one of the opposition players is sucked out of position and opens a gap up for a killer pass.

Unfortunately its not working,JET is meant to be playing deeper, granted,but picking the ballup on the halfway line is ridiculous. The only player suited to this formation in midfield is pack, and to a degree gillett. Go back to 4-4-2 or 4-5-1 and stop picking continental formations you have no hope of making work with the players we have.

Ps, to the masses that cheer when wes burns touches the ball, take a better look, tries to beat the man everytime when crossing from deep is easier. Fair play he scored today but it was a hell of a lucky one. Seems him reid and bryan  can do no wrong.

Your last bit is utter nonsense.

Burns did beat his man on a number of occasions and put 2 perfect balls into the box. What more do you want a wide man learning his trade to do. The strikers should have been sharper. Where were they?

Reid, Bryan and Burns. If we go down to league 2, we'll be struggling to hold on to any of them.

Agree with everything you write, with the exception of the Burns bit.

Every team needs a player that can frighten the opposition and create or score goals.

JET is supposed to be that player but is sadly not only suffering from a loss of form, but is simply not suited to the role he is being asked to perform.

Burns pace is his biggest asset, he is a player who can frighten the opposition and should now be starting games, giving us a chance from the start to get at the opponents defence.

I would start both Burns and Barnett at Oldham.

We can't defend so let's attack.

Agree with all bar the dig at our academy products. Maybe they do get away with a bit more than other players do but they've all been pretty decent this season. Particularly when compared to some of the others.

Reid has had good and bad games and you know that if he shoots from outside the box it's probably going to sail over the bar.

Burns has changed almost every game into which he's been introduced. He isn't perfect but at least he tries to take on the fullback. Something that Wagstaff is apparently incapable of doing.

I'm genuinely baffled that Bryan hasn't played more, though if we switched to 442 or 451 as you suggest then I'm sure that he would.

Listening to fans around where I was sitting it's very clear people watch a lot of Premier League football. They're comparing us to what they see from Man city etc, when in reality we are of course no where near that level.

That would also reflect upon the sort of crap posted on here.

We are a L1 club with L1 football at best right now.

That's how it is - hard to accept.

We were 2-0 down when we started to do this, so this A) should have stopped the moment we went 1-0 down, and B) doesn't work as 90% of teams who play us at Ashton gate are immensely patient as they're coached into expecting us to do this. You can only suck players out of position by quick strikes and frequent passes between players further up the field, not by tamely crossing across the back 4 giving them oodles of time to get into their natural positions or breaking their markers.

Not sure we have a right to expect premirr league touches, passes and finishes but I would at least like to see professional footballers who can move about occassionally at a run not a jog.

the lack of movement ahead of the guy with the ball is shocking. Leaves the back four in particular with a choice of little more than the droll pass along the back line, or the hoof up field to the player who has no chance because he has the disadvantage of a standing start.

Coventry's movement was at an acceptable level and just compounded the image of our players playing geriatrics walking football.

Burns did beat his man on a number of occasions and put 2 perfect balls into the box. What more do you want a wide man learning his trade to do. The strikers should have been sharper. Where were they?

Reid, Bryan and Burns. If we go down to league 2, we'll be struggling to hold on to any of them.

Reid and Burns maybe, but not Bryan. He isn't taking his chances in the team when he gets them, I know he was played out of position yesterday but Christ he didn't seem bothered

Archived