Fontaine: Fulham 

McAllister: Hearts 

Elliott: Millwall 

Carle: Turkish team I can't spell

McIndoe: Wolves 

Noble:  Boston 

Adebola: Coventry 

Trundle: Swansea

2 players from a higher league, 2 from the championship, rest lower league or abroad

Last nights team

Moore: Cardiff

Cunnigham: Man City

Flint: Swindon

El Abd: Brighton

Williams: Aston Villa

Wagstaff: Charlton

Bryan: Academy

JET: Ipswich

Gillett: Forest

Baldock: West Ham

9 from a higher league, 1 league 1, 1 academy

For me this is telling. Our squad is built of players that are not good enough to play for other teams above. You could argue that maybe Williams may grow as he's very young, but our last 2 good teams were built on League 2 and non-league talent. And the 2 players who did come from a higher league were Orr, who had to move to right back to become the player he was, and Fontaine who is not the best.

This may be where we have gone wrong, even our best two players between 2008 and now were Albert and Maynard, both signed from lower leagues. It's time to look down, not up, because it's raining shite.

This may be where we have gone wrong, even our best two players between 2008 and now were Albert and Maynard, both signed from lower leagues. It's time to look down, not up, because it's raining shite.

This is absoloutely where we have gone wrong. I have posted on a thread previous to this, that this club needs to change it's mentality of not scouting the lower leagues. We need to be looking as low down as the souther premier league in my opinion, after all the likes of Albert and Caulker were playing Sunday league football before making it in the professional game! There are gems out there, we as a club just seem to have this big headed attitude that we don't need to look for them as we can pick up players from higher league clubs whose careers are in decline (El Abd and Fielding - just two examples?)

• Admin

City 3-1 Rotherham starting line up

Basso: Woking

Orr: Newcastle 

Carey: Academy

McCombe: Lincoln 

Betsy: Wycombe 

Russell: Torquay

Johnson: Hearts

Wilson: Cheltenham 

Showunmi: Luton

Noble: Boston 

1 player from a higher league, most from league 2 and non-league

Who is from the higher league?

City 0-1 Hull

2 players from a higher league, 2 from the championship, rest lower league or abroad

Last nights team

For me this is telling. Our squad is built of players that are not good enough to play for other teams above. You could argue that maybe Williams may grow as he's very young, but our last 2 good teams were built on League 2 and non-league talent. And the 2 players who did come from a higher league were Orr, who had to move to right back to become the player he was, and Fontaine who is not the best.

Certainly wouldn't argue with your analysis there, but with the speed we're plummeting, we're going to have to look a hell of a way long way down to get players who aren't currently playing at levels above us!

Certainly wouldn't argue with your analysis there, but with the speed we're plummeting, we're going to have to look a hell of a way long way down to get players who aren't currently playing at levels above us!

I'm wondering if we'd do better with a Downs League dream team. I.e. the very best eleven selected from all the Downs League players and other Bristol League players. They'd almost certainly all be Bristolian and would play with the passion missing from our current team of losers.

City 0-1 Hull

Last nights team

The other telling factor is that the first two teams were managed by a man who had to ability to get more out of a team than the sum of its parts. He could get 11 individuals playing as a proper team.

The last  and all recent teams  have been managed by men with the ability to get less out of as team than the sum of its parts. They could get a group of 11 individuals playing like 11 individuals who had never even met each other. 

As Joni Mitchell once said "you don't know what you've got till it's gone".

Archived