IGNORED

Nice One Del

dezgimed

Would you have him back?

On what Ive seen since, here, absolutely. We have been worse on every level since he left.

Del keeping us up back in 2012 was the last time I felt good at this club.  I agree with Redtone.  He was a good manager essentially who just panicked a bit through lack of experience.  The worse our own plight becomes the more I think we should have kept him.  

Agree with this. I wanted him out, but had I known how bad it could REALLY get, would of stuck with him. The dire O Drosscoll era has been without doubt the worst era in all my years of watching City. Even the drab Penis era seems  like huge fun by comparison.

I wasn't going in 81-82, when I understand it was worse..

He made mistakes and tinkered too much, but was let down by a core of underperforming players. Unfortnately the penny dropped that he couldn't rely on them too late to save his job.

No complaints about him leaving at the time, but it would have been interesting to see how he went at this level. He certainly wouldn't have done any worse than what we've seen this season.

He made mistakes and tinkered too much, but was let down by a core of underperforming players. Unfortnately the penny dropped that he couldn't rely on them too late to save his job.

No complaints about him leaving at the time, but it would have been interesting to see how he went at this level. He certainly wouldn't have done any worse than what we've seen this season.

Unfortunately for Del he took a job that was far too big for him, a club that appears to be in terminal decline, with lackluster  leadership, and lots over paid not quite up to it standard of player, he chose to immerse himself with players he knew in the vain hope the spirit may drag under performers through, clearly the talent these players had was no where near up to the task, and once that collapsed, he was left vainly hoping for inspiration playing players out of position, and using strange formations more in hope than  anything.

I would have been interested to see what he could have done at this level, but the horse had bolted..  That said the decision to appoint SO'D and not particularly worry if we went down or not, would now seem a little short sighted, if this was the strain of though, I think maybe Del should have stayed and managed the players at a lower level, rather than ripping up the squad and starting again.

Looking back the whole mess we now find our self in seems scandalous.  it was okay for SO'D to take us down, but not Del.  

He's done excellently with Aberdeen in a very poor league.

However not only did he waste funds on bringing in 2 strikers when we obviously needed a centre half much more, he was rumoured to have backtracked on moving his family down to Bristol, so that was never going to go well in the long term, was it?

He's done excellently with Aberdeen in a very poor league.

However not only did he waste funds on bringing in 2 strikers when we obviously needed a centre half much more, he was rumoured to have backtracked on moving his family down to Bristol, so that was never going to go well in the long term, was it?

Agree Graham.

Del had a big chance to take us forward in his second season. For someone who had to reduce the wage bill by half he was given an exceptional budget to work with, especially off the back of the loan saga the season before. Unfortunately his dealings in the transfer market were absolutely amateur and he didn't address what was needed or cut his cloth accordingly and paid the price.

I wonder if he would be getting a pat on the back at every opportunity on here had we actually gone forward and progressed after he left? I think not some how. Great bloke but was out of his depth. Pleased he's doing well and hopefully he continues to do so but it's easy to look back and remember him fondly after relegation and a poor time for her club.

Yes great result for Del. They will be playing in Europe next season.Where will we be playing, Alfreton Town? I want Del to succeed at the Gate, but was always changing the team, keep't faith with Liam to long. Also brought in too many average Scottish players, that performed well in Scotland. But could not do it in the Championship,which as we all know is a very good league.

I think one of our biggest problems in recent seasons is employing managers at the wrong times.  I think SOD could have done a really good job building on GJ's work when he left but was absolutely the wrong man to keep us up last year and, by the summer, the negativity set in.  I think Cotterill could have kept us up last year but I'm worried that he might not be the right man to utilise the squad he's inherited from SOD and I think McInnes was too inexperienced to take on a club in the midst of a massive cost-cutting exercise but probably learned a lot from his mistakes whilst he was with us and, in two or three years time, will be exactly the sort of manager we wish we had now.

The board should have let him strengthen in January he just bought in Kelly all he needed was a strong CB and a LM and we would've had more chance of staying up. Now we have to stick no matter what! Go through the pain of poor performances and results to get a team that plays as a team

Something like 30 signings in 2 seasons really isn't good!! We've got the wage bill down and many won't like this but we have to stay with the current team for as long as possible

Archived